What now ?

Rob

What could have caused this ?

A friend of mine was driving his 1993 Range Rover Tdi on the highway and lost his front propellor shaft ( between gearbox and front diff )....both UJ's were torn apart and shaft has gone missing....

Did the front diff blocked, is the visco gone ?

I still have a prop shaft from a Range VM ( make 1988 ), will this one fit ?

Would appreciate your help.

regards.

Rob,

I'd agree with Fisha.

I had a front diff seize and it locks up the wheels but does not load the propshaft. I suspect the engine power would be sent to the rar axle through the centre diff (unless its a visco in which case.... not sure).

If the viscous diff was solid he would not notice unless the tyres were squealing on tight corners but it wouldn't cause the prop to disappear.

IMHO he was very lucky if the propshaft vanished without damaging the underside of the motor / exhaust / gearbox etc. Its not worth trying to find it as the ends will be trashed. <_<

Just hope the prop didn't land in front of an unsuspecting motorist. :blink:

Yeah but how come it went un-noticed?

I knew within minutes of driving my motor over xmas that one of the front joints was on it's way out. Did the rest of the 60 mile journey very gently and swapped it out when I got home.

There wasn't that much room in it but you could certainly feel it.

Yeah but how come it went un-noticed?

Ahemm :huh:

his 1993 Range Rover Tdi

I rest my case M'lud ;):rolleyes:

Agree with the others, in fact he's very lucky the yoke end didn't jam somewhere and cause a lot more damage.

from a Range VM ( make 1988 ), will this one fit ?

I don't think so, I seem to recall that the VM's were all fitted with 5 speed manuals & LT 230 transfer boxes right up till they went over to TDi in 91 unlike the auto's which changed to the ZF transfer box in 86/87. The flange to flange length is different.

Steve RR may have better info to hand, I feel a Potterism coming on anyway after my TDi remark :angry::P