School me on diesel conversions

MogLite

I've got a 1991 Classic SE, which I love.

But the age old problem of fuel consumption keeps niggling at me, and the voices in my head say "buy a car"

Especially as the wife has a 38a - two gas guzzlers seem an extravagence.

Rather than a car, the thread on the international board about Isuzu engines got me thinking.

So what are my options ?

Low-tech perkins etc - nah

Large Cummins/GMC - nah

Rover TDI - they are fine, but by the time you tweak the pump, fuel economy isn't that great.

LPG is not an option

I'd want to keep PAS and Aircon, but I'd sacrafice the cruise control, the Classic is a 3.9 auto and I'd want to hook up to the auto box.

I currently get 14-19mpg, and I'd like to get that into the 25-35 range if possible, whilst keeping it nippy around town, and being able to cruise at an easy 75.

Don't want much do I ?

Rover TDI - they are fine, but by the time you tweak the pump, fuel economy isn't that great.

I'd want to keep PAS and Aircon, but I'd sacrafice the cruise control, the Classic is a 3.9 auto and I'd want to hook up to the auto box.

I currently get 14-19mpg, and I'd like to get that into the 25-35 range if possible, whilst keeping it nippy around town, and being able to cruise at an easy 75.

Don't want much do I ?

If you get the TDi done right then fuel consumption is no different. My 200 Disco has an uprated intercooler from Jon Norman at Brunel Performance. Best money I ever spent on a motor and I still average 27 which is quite reasonable for something with the aerodynamics of a breezeblock. The 300 seems better on fuel and the power band seems different too, probably why they waited for that before bolting a slushbox on the back.

I had a 2.8 Mitsi mated to the 4 spd ZF and while it was ok at pulling, the changes were all wrong as it hadn't been revalved. It also only used to do around 17-19 mpg! This did have the air-con and all ancillaries still on it.

Why not LPG, just out of interest? I'd have thought it was a much cheaper and easier route than fitting a new engine, you keep the V8s grunt and relative silence - plus at current fuel prices it'll be cheaper to run than a diesel.

I can only think of two good reasons to go with diesel instead:

• You can't get LPG easily where you use the car
  • You need better range than you can easily achieve with an LPG conversion

No getting round the former, but if the range on petrol is okay, LPG isn't going to be much worse?

Okay, three. Diesels still work when it rains...

Why not LPG, just out of interest? I'd have thought it was a much cheaper and easier route than fitting a new engine, you keep the V8s grunt and relative silence - plus at current fuel prices it'll be cheaper to run than a diesel.

I can only think of two good reasons to go with diesel instead:

• You can't get LPG easily where you use the car
  • You need better range than you can easily achieve with an LPG conversion

No getting round the former, but if the range on petrol is okay, LPG isn't going to be much worse?

Okay, three. Diesels still work when it rains...

My nearest LPG station is about a 15 mile round trip away from my house. As opposed to conventional filling stations which I pass every day.

So using a gallon of LPG and 1/2 hour just to fill up is going to needle me badly.

If the range is poor, then that is only going to be worse.

I use my Rangie as an estate car mostly, so I need the boot space. Undersill tanks I thought were small unless you fit 4, and I'm not even sure that is possible.

Also - if anything I'd like to make the car simpler from a maintenance perspective, rather than doubling up on fuel systems.

I had my 300TDI camel disco tuned by Van Aaken, and wasn't overly impressed, never had a big intercooler though.

My various Ibex TDI's have been tuned at home, plenty of power, but no economy.

Andy

Do you have enough space around the house to have an LPG storage tank? There are several companies that will supply a tank with pump for a monthly rental and fill the tank with LPG on a regular basis. Most of them are able to supply LPG at a few pence below pump prices as well, depending on what your annual consumptiom is.

LPG conversion doesn't necessarily mean more complication, the later SGI systems no longer need emulators as they piggy back the original ECU for the fuel map, injector & fuel pump controls. Think of it as a set of spot lamps, if it they fail they will not stop you in your tracks. You can fit a spheroidal tank or a "Scuba" twin set in place of the original tank with a smaller outboard petrol tank of about 40 ltrs. The LPG capacitiy will be around 70-75 litres which should be good for over 200 mile range.

It might even be worth converting your other car to make it even more economical. Trust me, once you have tried a good LPG setup you will not go back.

Obviously I am firmly in one camp having had now 3 LPG vehicles and just about to do the wifes new one.

I have also had deisels so can be personally objective. If you are convinced of a deisel conversion then I cannot see past the Mazda 3.5 SLT conversion offered by M&D. Masses of manageble power & torque, just not enough to mangle gearboxes and returns around 25-28 depending on gearing & driving style. There aren't many second hand around but I may know of one.

If you have built an Ibex then fitting a kit is no great shakes. Some suppliers even throw in the tuning software, I think Tinley Tech do and their prices seem very good.

Around 500 will get you a basic kit, nearer 1k for an SGI, a decent used diesel with history that doesn't need any work will be nearer double that.

If diesel you must, then the Mazda 3.5 SLT gets my vote. :rolleyes: