Td5 instrument panel.... fitting & wiring

Guest deleted

Guest diesel_jim

I've got a Td5 instrument panel that i want to fit into my 300Tdi 90. mainly so i can have the illimunated heater contorls and decent LED warning lights, but the thing is, i'm having a bit of hassle getting the warning lights to work easily...

I've downloaded an excel spreadsheet that someone (forgot yer name!) did which showed the different combinations of connections needed to illimunate certain lights, but the 300Tdi loom is far simpler than the Td5 ECU controlled jobbie, so it would be a bit of a nightmare to connect up and get to work properly (IMO anyway... and i'm a sparky by trade too! :unsure: )

Has anyone sussed it easily? or would i be better making up a new PCB to mount some 12v high intensity LED's on and wire them up individually just as the old filament bulbs are on the 300 unit?

It seems a lot of work just to get brighter warning lights and illuminated heater controls.

Why couldn't you use the Td5 binnacle to get the heater control illumination and see if you can retro-fit the 300Tdi warning light cluster into the Td5 dash and then fit with LED's?

This may sound a silly question, but what's wrong with the 300Tdi warning light panel anyway? My warning lights are plenty bright enough and, from what I can gather, larger than the Td5 ones. So you get bigger, but (slightly) dimmer warning lights.

I'd go along with the heater controls though, but only for the sake of my wife who has trouble remembering the function and location of three sliding levers....

Why couldn't you use the Td5 binnacle to get the heater control illumination and see if you can retro-fit the 300Tdi warning light cluster into the Td5 dash and then fit with LED's?

The TD5 warning light panel is a diffrent shape to the earlier ones so isnt a direct swap, I havent looked closely enough to see whether it will fit easily with some mods

Iluminated heater controls, shiney ! Is that 2002 onwards or TD5 onwards Jim ? Mo

Td5, era all models

What interests me is what Mr BogMonsters car is fitted with, does it have some kind of hybrid loom being a td5 era 300tdi?

Assuming it has the td5 clocks, that is

Guest diesel_jim
Td5, era all models

What interests me is what Mr BogMonsters car is fitted with, does it have some kind of hybrid loom being a td5 era 300tdi?

Assuming it has the td5 clocks, that is

I've looked into this. the NAS and RoW defenders had the Td5 dash, i'd be interested to get hold of a 300Tdi late loom, as per Mr BogM.

Iluminated heater controls, shiney ! Is that 2002 onwards or TD5 onwards Jim ? As big Si says, couldn't you just use the 300 light block with leds ?

All Td5's have them. not the actual controls themselves, but the "sticker bits" each side of the dash... the one that shows fan positions 0-1-2 and the RH one with the blue and red arrow for cool and colder.

It seems a lot of work just to get brighter warning lights and illuminated heater controls.

This may sound a silly question, but what's wrong with the 300Tdi warning light panel anyway? My warning lights are plenty bright enough and, from what I can gather, larger than the Td5 ones. So you get bigger, but (slightly) dimmer warning lights.

nothing wrong with it, i just fancy a project!

I've got the Td5 electronic speedo and guages (although not sure if i can use those) but like i say, just fancy a project (after i've rebuilt my sankey and fitted my autobox and console... :rolleyes: )

what i did today was a bit of a cheat really. dismantled the Td5 light cluster (2 torx screws and it comes apart) there you have the PCB with the LED's and assosciated resistors and AND gates to make them all work.

I got a piece of hobby-board PCB, and cut it the same shape as the genuine part, went onto the RS components website and ordered several bags of red,amber,green and blue 12v LED's, i'll just solder them into place and run the cables out to a connector which will fit onto the standard 300Tdi warning light cluster. i can keep the wiring quite simple then, without having to butcher my 300 loom (should i get bored of the td5 dash and want to put the older one back in.... :blink: )

I'll do a tech report if anyone's interested?

What I really want is to persaude the guy who made the binacles for the SVX 90 and the Tomb raider 110's to make me one :)

I've looked into this. the NAS and RoW defenders had the Td5 dash, i'd be interested to get hold of a 300Tdi late loom, as per Mr BogM.

I'll do a tech report if anyone's interested?

No NAS Defenders I've seen had the TD5 clocks

I'm interested in a tech article ;)

I need a new gauge binnacle now

I've got a TD5 dash binacle spare if you want it Mo?

Guest diesel_jim

I'm sure i saw some pics someplace of a NAS with the Td5 dash... maybe i was drunk! :lol:

all my LED's arrived today from RS, i took some pics at work, so i'll get an article done ASAP.

east coast rover do this conversion, shall see if i can find the link.

i doubt they say much about how they do it though...

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/CMC110.html

you can see it in this 110, but if you lok around thre may be other pics

infact roll down this page a bit for some more pics

http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Defenders.html

Guest diesel_jim
Any news yet on the LEDs?

yup, my secind bag of goodies from RS arrived today, i just need to get an hour or 2 at work to assemble the lot together.

won't be long! and i'm taking piccies as i go!! :D

• 1 month later...
Guest diesel_jim

Well, i made upa circuit board the same shape as the genuien Td5 LED warning light panel, and fitted in twin LED's to each position with it's own supply wire (so it would mate up easier to the 300Tdi dash loom), as i found that the Td5 one was a bit wierd.... put a supply to certain feeds and various different LED's illuminate! :rolleyes:

So, when i made "my" panel, i fitted it to a dash but they wern't really bright enough to be seen properly, then i've had a snowball of work (at work.. :angry: ) and it's been left on the workbench since...

I must get back to doing it! hopefully by next week all of our big installations will be finished. and my mate will be in Morocco in his tomcat, so i'll have some free time again (during work hours, naturally.... ;) )

Jim,

Would it not be possible to bridge out all the rubbish on the old board and wire directly from the connector to the original led ? Since you'd be using the original board and leds, wouldn't that be bright enough ?

It's all electrickery to me !

Mo

Guest diesel_jim
Jim,

Would it not be possible to bridge out all the rubbish on the old board and wire directly from the connector to the original led ? Since you'd be using the original board and leds, wouldn't that be bright enough ?

It's all electrickery to me !

Mo

Yes mo, i think that's what i'm going to do. fairly easy really, just need to "break" the circuit track (with a stanley knife or similar) and solder the wires in directly.

hopefully this week i should be able to crack on with it.

Guest diesel_jim
Jim,

I have mine now :)

Are all the leds in the original 12v, do you know ?

Cheers

Mo

no, each one has a resistor in series to drop the voltage (not sure to what though, i've not measured it, i suspect 5v or 3v), but they're high intensity LED's

• 2 months later...

Hi, I find out how to connect it, you just need to read the RAVE very carfully.

Here is the Speedometer TD5 Pin-Out, I havn't connect mine yet, maybe this weekend!

The plug C1060:

C1060.jpg

Atention that in the speedo the connections are mirrored!

Speedometer-back.jpg

Best Regards!

Imperadeiro