Short Circuit??

hinsonberger

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has experienced this and/or if this is a common Discovery failure & where I should check in the first instance??

My vehicle is a 1998 Discovery 300Tdi & on the weekend I had the fuse blow that is in the circuit for the following:

- right hand side sidelights

- dashboard lights

- headlight leveller mechanisms

- glovebox light

I changed the fuse which promptly blew again, so I figure I must have a short in one of the circuits.

Is there a common fault associated with this that I should check first, or do I need to start systematically working my way through each circuit?

I had a quick check of the wiring from the levellers, front RH side lights, rear RH bumper lights for any signs of chafing on the wiring insulation, but could not see anything untoward.

Cheers

Bruce Hinson

Discovery 300Tdi

Thames, NZ

Did you changed the bulb on any of the side lights recently ? especially on rear right side lights. What makes me ask is the I've seen many ppl replace the twin filaments bulb with the single and that most of the time is the culprit of the problem. just to eliminate the bulbs remove them one at the time and see if fault is still there including the glove box one. have you got towing electrics fitted as those can also give probs especially if socket gets wet. you could also disconnect head levellers just to eliminate the motor probs if the problem still exists you'll gona have to look at the wiring. I don't think dash light will be coursing the prob. That's all I can think of. Greg

I haven't changed any bulbs lately, but do you think I should still check each of the bulbs anyway as a start?

I was wondering about the trailer plug which is in a susceptible position to water ingress. I had conflicting information between the owners handbook & the Haynes manual as to whether the trailer plug wiring was on the same circuit, but I guess since it draws from the rear RH lights it must be?

Thanks

Bruce Hinson

Discovery 300Tdi

Thames, NZ

The trailer plug wiring should just plug into the loom behind the right (offside UK) light. Just unplug it and check to see if that eliminates the problem. If you have the rear dickie seats fitted then it's a PITA to get at.

Ivan