Another On board air write up

Diff

Hi all

I have gathered together all of the relevant bits to do this now using a Sanden SD709.

My truck is a factory standard 200tdi Defender - and therefore does not have the timing case that sits level with the 4 holes in it (have compared it to my 200tdi Rangie and it looks quite different)

Question is how have people made a braket (and where have they bolted it to) to make the sanden fit properly?

Did 200tdi Defenders ever have air con fitted? if so are there some factory made brakets I could buy/copy? (I have looked on Micorcat/Rave but cant see anything)

thanks for you help

• 2 months later...

I have got all the main parts together. Got a Sanden SD609 from a proton savvy :rolleyes: made the engine mount (have no aircon so was easy) getting tentioner and serpentine belt this week. I am now shopping for the pipes fittings valves etc.

My question is regarding the perssure switch. I found two types on ebay. What will be more suitable? My pressure switch will be under the loading bin of the Hard Top on the left hand side, in front of the rear wheel. Lots of dust and mud

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Control-Switch-90-120-PSI-New-/270689749043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f065dc833

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Switch-90-psi-120-psi-/310237022307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b914863

I have got all the main parts together. Got a Sanden SD609 from a proton savvy :rolleyes: made the engine mount (have no aircon so was easy) getting tentioner and serpentine belt this week. I am now shopping for the pipes fittings valves etc.

My question is regarding the perssure switch. I found two types on ebay. What will be more suitable? My pressure switch will be under the loading bin of the Hard Top on the left hand side, in front of the rear wheel. Lots of dust and mud

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Control-Switch-90-120-PSI-New-/270689749043?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f065dc833

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/Air-Compressor-Pressure-Switch-90-psi-120-psi-/310237022307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item483b914863

I would use the first one, and put a flexible 'sleeve' of some sort over it and the wiring connections. A small length of bicycle innertube ziptied around the switch body and around the wires perhaps?

Regards, Diff.

• 3 weeks later...

Got almost everything now. Pressure switch and gauge from Ebay arrived today :)

Still short a tensioner for the aircon belt (hard to find believe it or not) and some odds and ends

Next question is regarding the 1way valve. Someone mentioned a domestic water pipe valve will work. Will it be strong enough to withstand 145psi?

Where can I source one? I find lots of hydraulic and pneumatic stuff on ebay. Normally in the US and since they dont know about the rest of the world's existance, they dont ship :D

Got almost everything now. Pressure switch and gauge from Ebay arrived today :)

Still short a tensioner for the aircon belt (hard to find believe it or not) and some odds and ends

Next question is regarding the 1way valve. Someone mentioned a domestic water pipe valve will work. Will it be strong enough to withstand 145psi?

Where can I source one? I find lots of hydraulic and pneumatic stuff on ebay. Normally in the US and since they dont know about the rest of the world's existance, they dont ship :D

I used one of these Check valve

Thanks for the link Jon

Some other interesting stuff on the site I need, like bulkhead connectors. Unfortunately all of them seem to be BSPP and all my existing fitings are tapered. Can you mix these or not?

It is only on the quick coupler that I have this problem the rest of the fittings are sorted

• 3 months later...

I use BSPP female fittings reguarly at work with BSPT male fittings. No-ones ever told me not to and more importantly non's ever failed!

I'm just about to do this conversion on my 109. I've robbed the double air-con crankshaft pulley off my 88 (after having one on order for 3 months, with no sign of it ever turning up) I've got a Sanden 709 compressor which fits the mounting points on the Disco 200's timing case and an air tank off an AEC truck which measures about 13" x 8"dia. I've got to get the ol' girl in for MOT first though, I think the 88's about to throw her gearbox judging by the sounds it making!

Great write up Diff!

• 2 weeks later...

Bunnymofo the oil will degenerate the rubber if I am not mistaken

So I finally got everythinng in. The tank, check valve, the pressure swich, gauge, compressor, all the stuff needed.

Imagine the dissapointment when I found out it gives air like an asmatic mouse suffering of emphysemia.

The compressor is a Sanden SD6. 6 cylinder wobbly plate out of a Proton Savvy. I had it open, all the pistons and valves are good. When it runs with or without the clutch it also chirps quite a bit. Any ideas?

I will Remove the comp tomorrow and put a tyre valve in to air it up at the nearest service station to check for leaks but I doubt it

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have a 2004 TD5 truck with no AirCon.

I was thinking of installing OnBoard Air but all the info that I find is of installations in TDi's and V8 LR's.

Is it possible to do the same on a TD5? Could one use the same pump and bracketry as used in Defenders with OEM AC installations?

Thankfully for info, pictures or maybe links?

Thank You

M

Hello

I have a 2004 TD5 truck with no AirCon.

I was thinking of installing OnBoard Air but all the info that I find is of installations in TDi's and V8 LR's.

Is it possible to do the same on a TD5? Could one use the same pump and bracketry as used in Defenders with OEM AC installations?

Thankfully for info, pictures or maybe links?

Thank You

M

Yes, the easiest way is to use the standard factory td5 aircon pump, bracket and belt.

Sorry, haven't done it myself, but the principle is the same as any of the factory engine/aircon installations.

Regards,

Diff.

I know I am probably being a bit dim but would a normal air compressor run off an invertor run from battery/alternator power?

I have a bostitch 1.5 hp compressor in my shed that I never use, and it draws very little power from the mains supply to run.

The only down side I suppose is the noise of the compressor pump as it fills the reservoir.

Just a thought.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

i have tried this not with a compressor that small i tried it on a 3hp direct drive 2.2kw compressor hooked up to the 6000w ring inverter in my work van supplied by 2 numax truck batteries and there own 90 amp alternator. plugged in van running switched on the compressor and nothing wouldnt even turn the motor looked at the reading on the inverter and it had frozen at 12000w the max output from the inverter. a compressor even a small one can pull 10 times the running current on startup.