Ever Seen One Like This ?

Paul90

Having cleaned it up and given it a good coat of looking at I've come to the conclusion that this "stepped keyway" is just where the crank has worn away at the timing pulley allowing it to slop about backwards and forwards.

If this works you might even get a picture !

sprocket_1.jpg

Tip for the day - make sure your crank pulley is nice and tight.

Paul

Les,

I will get the parts ordered this week (I need quite a few!) and try to put it all back together next weekend. I don't get much time to work on it during the week.

I just hope this sorts out the poor running once and for all.

Paul

This looks to me like the woodroof key has snapped and allowed the pulley to wear. Eather that or wrong woodroof key has been fitted in the past. Loose crank bolt wouldn't of helped ether. Greg

Greg,

The strange thing is that the woodruffe key for the timing sprocket looks fine. The one for the large crank damper doesn't look so good :angry:

As the crank damper has been slopping about it seems to have picked up on the timing sprocket and taken that with it. Both front face of the timing sprocket and rear face of the crank pulley are quite worn.

By bolting it up tight when in the right position you could just about get it to run (which somebody has done in the past) but once the revs go up for any length of time it all starts to move about again.

Paul

The small sproket will move and undo the bolt even if it's got small movement as all of the engine load goes thru it. I do think someone did quick bodge job just before you bought it hence good looking key on one and worn one on the other.

I've just had the same problem. The first keyway on the crank was opened up and splayed so the key wouldn't sit in. Luckily the previous owner realised this and just filled up the hole with plastic metal and bolted it all back together, then sold it to me. Everything ran sweet, only came to light when I wanted to do a belt change then wished I hadn't. Nevermind a new crank has it all sorted now. Runs like a dream again.

Well got it all back together and . . .

Started up fine and was so quiet I had to double check it was actually runnning ! :D

Normal puff of black smoke on start up and a wisp of light grey smoke when cold but none of the thick white smoke that was there before.

Thanks for all the help and advice, particularly to Western.

Might have a go at tuning up the injection pump next as I suspect the previous owner had it fiddled with (I've got a receipt somewhere). Trying to get it running properly with the valve timing all up the chuff I suspect.

I'll be checking that pulley bolt for each weekend for a while as well. Was half tempted to put a spot of weld on it to make sure it don't come loose !

Regards,

Paul

Workshop manual states the crank pulley/damper bolt should be fitted with loctite 242 on the threads and then torqued up to the correct setting of 341Nm :D

happy to help, Cheers :D

Does that tightening procedure superceed what is stated in the 300TDi overhaul manual (Landrover part LRL0070ENG)?

Namely torque to 80Nm, then a further 90 deg.

Workshop manual states the crank pulley/damper bolt should be fitted with loctite 242 on the threads and then torqued up to the correct setting of 341Nm  :D

happy to help, Cheers  :D

Does that tightening procedure superceed what is stated in the 300TDi overhaul manual (Landrover part LRL0070ENG)?

Namely torque to 80Nm, then a further 90 deg.

The above info is for 200Tdi only, just apply the loctite and torque up to the quoted figure :D

Ignore any references to 300Tdi :D