How Easy Is It.....

Ivan

to remove the heater blower unit on a 300 Series Discovery ? My heater fan doesn't work. I have traced the wires and I'm getting power to the blower motor but the fan isn't moving. I suspect the blower motor needs looking at. I don't really want to have to take the entire dash out if I can help it.

Hopefully SCL will have "been there done that" as I know he has taken a dash out before.

TIA

Ivan

Sorry, didn't get into the heater, though I suspect you will have to take the dash out to get to it, though I might be wrong.

Taking the dash out is not as bad as you'd think, took me about 4.5 hours I seem to remember so a day ought to be more than enough.

It should say in a WSM what is involved but I don't have a D1 WSM to hand right now. I'll have a look later

I haven't had the need to remove mine but I'm sure I have read where it comes out from under. Have you had your nut under the dash?

Ed. Just had a quick look in the book & it does appear as though to remove it, the dash needs to come out, however it may only be something that has sucked through & is fouling the wheel. Worth checking before going the whole hog. :rolleyes:

Edited by Des Morgan

I did have a look underneath and can see the blower motor quite clearly in the passenger footwell. But, I couldn't see if there was anything hidden holding it on. I'll have a go tonight and see if I can remove it without taking the dash out. Thanks for the replies.

Ivan

I've just had the dash out to fit air con to mine (mmmmmmm, cold!!), and you might be able to get the blower out just by taking the glovebox off.

But then again, you'll probably end up dragging the dash out (which is actually a lot easier than it first seems, just a bit heavy when putting it back in).

If it's 1991 it's a 200 series in that case yes you have to remove the dash to get to the heater. Then you'll have to split the heater box to get to the motor.

If it's 300 1994- on I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that you can get the motor out with out removing the dash as the motor is separate from the heater box. Greg

Having a bit of a shufti this morning, if it is a 300 Series, then I reckon the fan motor & wheel will come out from below, if you remove the fibre under panel, after undoing 3 screws. The motor has an inline plug next to it.

If it is a 200 Series, then I don't know, as I don't have any details, but I would suspect the dash would need to come off. :(

OK I removed the blower motor last night and it was a doddle. Just undo 3 screws, remove the plug and it dropped out. It really is very easy. I removed it because the blower had stopped working. At first I thought it was the resistor problem but I checked the power first. I had power to the motor and the voltage increased slightly as I increased the fan speed switch. Anyway once I had removed it I opened the little cover on the side and a pile of rust and rubbish fell out. Gave it a good dose of WD40 and it was all running OK again :)

As to my signature yes it is a 1991 300 series. It used to be a 200 Series 2 Door until some kind person smashed the side in with a trailer and disapeared. The estimated cost of repairs was £1800 but my local mechanic said he knew of a 300 ES bodyshell that was going. So I put some money towards the work and had a 300ES bodyshell fitted ;) Hence it's probably the only 1991 300 Series :P

Edited to add I did remove the glove box but it wasn't necessary. However it does make it easier to see what's going on.

Ivan