breezecloe

300tdi braking problem

6 posts in this topic

Hi

When we apply the brakes on our discovery there is a loud hissing/whooshing type noise which sounds like its coming from the brake pedal itself. Also the brakes are not working very well now either. Does anyone have any ideas please? Im thinking servo, vacumn pump?

Thanks

internal leak in the servo would be my guess if it only happens when you press the pedal down, if it is whooshing all the time it could be the pump

internal leak in the servo would be my guess if it only happens when you press the pedal down, if it is whooshing all the time it could be the pump

It only happens when you depress the pedal, how can i test for an internal leak? or should i just go and buy a new servo?

Thanks

It only happens when you depress the pedal, how can i test for an internal leak? or should i just go and buy a new servo?

Thanks

The difference is if everything is ok it should be a gentle squish like a cowpat between your toes, if it sounds like you have just slashed a tyre it will mean there is a problem :)

The servos are sealed units I think, so there is not really any way of proving the cause of the problem without sawing a hole in it to see if the diaphragm is split, and after that you will need a new one anyway...

Push on the pedal, start the engine. If pedal goes towards the floor, the servo is ok. If pedal stays where it is, it is stuffed.

The difference is if everything is ok it should be a gentle squish like a cowpat between your toes, if it sounds like you have just slashed a tyre it will mean there is a problem :)

The servos are sealed units I think, so there is not really any way of proving the cause of the problem without sawing a hole in it to see if the diaphragm is split, and after that you will need a new one anyway...

Thanks,will give a try.