kippered engine

trainspotter

Basically the 200tdi engine on a disco I'm looking at has no power also I suspect not all the cylinders are firing and it smokes very badly.

A garage local to the guy selling it says the engine block is cracked but it could be something simpler than that. You know what some garages are like.

Anyone got any ideas or had an engine that has done this? At the very worst I could change the engine and he only wants £300 for the whole thing.

Cheers

Trainspotter

At that price, as long as the rest is OK, I would buy it. As you say it's easy to change the engine. Not too clued up on diesels but the cylinders not firing could be down to injectors or pump timing. Which could also account for the smoking. Did the mechanic do a pressure test to check for the cracked block ? Or does it show signs of water leaking.

Ivan

If the cambelt has gone the whole engine wouldn't do a thing... because the belt runs the fuel pump as well.

The belt could of jumped a tooth hence the miss timing,

It could be pistons rings warn out (or even the bores warn out) which would explain the little power and lots of oil.

By it and stripe it and see... not difficult to do, just time consuming.. I bought a whole engine (2nd hand) 60K on clock for 775 of a breaker on the web - very nice engine, and went very well.

If you don't want it give us the address and I take it off their hands.. :D

I could do with a more luxurious motor than my 90.

• 2 weeks later...

A garage wouldn't necessarily know if the block was cracked without dismantling the engine to have a look.

Easy way to check for head head gasket failure/cracked liner is fill the cooling system, leave the top off of the header tank and start the engine. Any compression getting into the water jacket will push the water straight out. It could be a whole list of things.

Remove the glow plugs and spin the engine. The condition of the glow plugs will tell their own story. It's not uncommon for the 200TDi engine to blow a head gasket, so possibly this is all that's happened and not a very difficult or expensive job to do.

Les. :)