200tdi boost pressure

Hi,

I am about to fit my boost gauge onto my 200tdi but wanted to ask what boost pressure it shoudl read on full load??

I know its 0.7/0.8bar but where would this be measured from??

If the gauge is plumbed in the line between the turbo outlet and wastegate, what should it read from there??

Should it read 0.8bar of boost at the inlet manifold???

cheers

goaty

When I fitted mine it registered .75 bar at the stock wastegate position.

[hijack]

I've tweaked mine a bit to around 0.9 bar at the same position with no ill effects so far (approx 2k miles) and, if anything, slightly better overall economy and driveability. I'd already tweaked the fueling slightly, with the added boost there's scope for more of the same, doubtful I'll bother as I'm more than happy with the way it is at the moment. The only future plans are to move the wastegate plumbing to the cool side of the intercooler so I'm getting the 0.9 bar at the inlet manifold and a cold air fan for the intercooler.

[/hijack]

Apparently either the 200 or 300 are ok up to around 1.2 bar - I've not tried this and I'm not going to as it seems a bit high to me for an agricultural injun - although without better intercooling you're highly unlikely to see all that much benefit from the extra 0.2 bar as the induction charge is going to be significantly hotter. Is anyone running 1+ bar on a Tdi?

well i had my 200 tdi up to 21psi on my boost gauge.

ran it like this for a few weeks it didnt half go!

longevity got the better of me so i turned it back down.

its now at 17 psi and there have been no i'll effects.

It's adjusted on the actuator rod for the wastegate - if you've adjusted it and not seen any difference, I'd check your boost guage is doing what you think it's doing first - then shorten the rod a little more. Do it in increments of a few mm's at a time - shortcuts like lopping half the rod off with a hacksaw are generally a bit of a bad idea, slow and safe is err... slower but safer. FWIW - it took about 9mm of thread turned into the end of the rod to go from .75 to .9 bar on my 200 - the process is NOT linear though, the last 3mm made more difference than the first 6mm by a fair bit.

Hope that helps,

Thanks Adz.

I take it yours got to the stage where the rod had to be pulled out of the diaphram with a pair of pliers etc - i.e the eye didn't just slip onto the wastegate arm anymore?

Do you remember how far it had to be pulled before it went over the arm?

Can't give you an exact figure but I'd guess at somewhere in the order of about 4 or 5mm from memory... suffice to say it felt like a lot more using a pair of pliers and my elbow wedged between the turbo and the heater.

Bear in mind that they're all a little bit different - so what worked for mine might not work for yours (best case) or might blow it to bits (worst case)

the pipe to the wastegate split on my 300TDI this ended in 2bar boost on the gauge

nice but not long to go for the head gasket.

shortening the rod on the wastegate on mine worked out at 3 turns shorted per 1psi of boost.

ran at 18psi for 2years before the engine died on its arse for non related problems

• 2 weeks later...

Bump...

I have been adjsting the boost on my 200Tdi using pressurised air together with a regulator and gauge. It's been adjusted so the waste gate just starts to open the valve when I have put on 1,1 bar (which roughly would be in the region of 16 psi). The actuating rod has been shortened quite a bit and there is very little movement left when higher pressure is applied.

Can it be that the waste gate spring has lost its "stamina"? Does it happen that the waste gate has to be renewed now and then?

Bump...

I have been adjsting the boost on my 200Tdi using pressurised air together with a regulator and gauge. It's been adjusted so the waste gate just starts to open the valve when I have put on 1,1 bar (which roughly would be in the region of 16 psi). The actuating rod has been shortened quite a bit and there is very little movement left when higher pressure is applied.

Can it be that the waste gate spring has lost its "stamina"? Does it happen that the waste gate has to be renewed now and then?

Well, shortening the rod is "really" not the correct way to adjust wastegates. The spring is designed for the factory setting. IMO, a boost valve or similar is a better idea. It will also give better boost control and much easier adjustment.

Well, shortening the rod is "really" not the correct way to adjust wastegates. The spring is designed for the factory setting. IMO, a boost valve or similar is a better idea. It will also give better boost control and much easier adjustment.

Tell me about this boost valve of yours!

Cheers.

• 3 years later...

Hi all,

I have used this kit on a 300tdi and unfortunatley due to a recent accident totaling my beloved 90, I have purchased a 200tdi and will be fitting this kit once more with pressure guage and shall update with some photos of this install in the future but for all who want some more information please see the link.

http://turborevs.org.uk/Manaul%20Boost%20Controller%20Instructions%20-%20Turborevs.pdf

T-M-E