Tyres for Discovery 200Tdi

chopchop

I need to think about replacing my Discovery 200Tdi 205-R16 tyres soon, but this standard LR size (as was) effectively 205/80-R16 is very much a non-preferred size over here in N America.

I don't want to increase my revs at all, and I understand that 225/75-R16 is about the same rolling-radius wise, also being readily available here. I believe the standard LR (6J ??) rims are fine for this extra width.

My objection is that I'm going to a wider tread footprint which will likely provide poorer grip in slippery winter conditions.

Any help/advice appreciated.

- Richard

Most Discovery wheels whether steel or alloy are all 7Jx16, certainly on 300Tdi and I am fairly sure on 200Tdi.

For what you require I would go for 235/70R16 size, they are the same diameter as 205/80R16 within a fraction of an inch, but that bit wider and look much better on the vehicle as well as providing much better cornering and braking grip. The BFG AT is available in that size I think.

225/75R16 are a bit taller so will gear the vehicle up a bit, but will still be fine on a Discovery. I have had 205R16, 225/75R16, 235/70R16, and 245/75R16 on various different Discoverys I have owned or driven and there isn't much to choose between the larger sizes but anything is better than 205R16s for cornering etc!

If you want to go a bit wider still and you can get them, I am pretty sure you can fit 255/70R16s on a Discovery 1 without too many difficulties, you can certainly fit them on a D2 and they are excellent on those. Downside is not many different types available in that size. I have BFG ATs in that size on mine and I love 'em :)

I can second the above comments....

200Tdi disco uses 7" rims - whether alloy or steel.

235/70 x 16 is the way to go IMHO - and if you want a "no frills" tyre with good road manners that will last, you could do worse than the BFG Longtrail. It's rated as a "mud & snow" and is more road-biased than the AT - and a lot cheaper too - I bought a set of 5 last year for about £45 a corner fitted. :D

Hope this helps.

Matt

I can second the above comments....

200Tdi disco uses 7" rims - whether alloy or steel.

235/70 x 16 is the way to go IMHO - and if you want a "no frills" tyre with good road manners that will last, you could do worse than the BFG Longtrail. It's rated as a "mud & snow" and is more road-biased than the AT - and a lot cheaper too - I bought a set of 5 last year for about £45 a corner fitted. :D

Hope this helps.

Matt

Thats a good deal and far better than I've been paying for 205 Wranglers.

£45 a corner is a bargain if they are anything like as good as most BFGs!

Kumhos are good value too, a budget price but not budget quality. The relevant AT one in this case is either the 825 pattern or the newer KL41, not 100% sure if that is available in 235/70R16 yet.

They are the same tread pattern as the BFG's so are quite capable off road.

[ahem] To appease any forthcoming legal challenges the management would like to point out that they are definitely not exactly the same tread pattern as the BFGs ;););)

Chopchop, advice seems to be between 225/75r16s & 235/70r16s for your purposes. If you're worried about contact pressure, the 235s are slightly wider again then 225s & so will give less contact pressure, however, the differences will be minimal, even compared to your 205s & I would suggest that if this is an important factor to you, you should be looking for a set of dedicated winter tyres. Without knowing what uses you want to put your vehicle to & knowing that any tyre choice is essentially a compromise, you need to define what you want from your tyres & decide accordingly. If you're into real off roading during your summer such as would require a set of ATs or even MTs then you really need a summer & winter set. MTs for off roading & a set of winter tyres for the winter. Winter tyres will be such that they have fairly small voids between the tread blocks & extensive siping, (the small cuts in the blocks). This effectively gives a heap more edges to grip on smooth icey surfaces. They also tend to have a softer, grippier compound. Most tyre manufactuers do a winter rated tyre, just a question of asking your retailers whats available. A open tread like an MT would not be a good choice for icey conditions but does quite well in fresh snow I believe. For a winter tyre you need a tyre that cayyies the snowflake over the mountain symbol, this has something to do with the roads they're allowed to go on I think. its explained in the website below.

Some winter tyre choices are.

Firestone Winterforce M&S

Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT

Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3

A good North American site with a lot of info & reviews is http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp

This is where I picked these few types from, there are a heap of others, as I said all the major manufacturers cover most categories of tyre & the info is here. Happy hunting. HTH, Cheers Steve.

PS Lets know what you go for please, I'm naturally nosy :D

PPS Sorry A tyre is the same as a tire, we spell it the old way out here. :lol: :lol:

Given that the main winter condition here is slippery roads rather than deep snow, I've narrowed the choice down to Nokian Vatiivas or Nokian WRs, both of which are available in the 235/70-R16 size.

I understand that apart from being significantly cheaper, the Vatiivas are more of a truck tyre, ie better-suited to the Discovery - than the WRs, which are more of an ordinary car tyre.

Either can be left on all-year-round, and have the same 100,000km warranty here, which kind of confirms year-round suitability.

I understand that the Vatiivas are the only tyre which also have a good "winter" rating.

The winter Firestone M&S "knobblies" which I bought and used in the UK are not really much use here in winter, as they are hardly siped at all, so they can be forgotten.

All your help and advice is appreciated, as would any further comments be, as I haven't actually purchased anything yet.

- Richard

Given that the main winter condition here is slippery roads rather than deep snow, I've narrowed the choice down to Nokian Vatiivas or Nokian WRs, both of which are available in the 235/70-R16 size.

I understand that apart from being significantly cheaper, the Vatiivas are more of a truck tyre, ie better-suited to the Discovery - than the WRs, which are more of an ordinary car tyre.

Either can be left on all-year-round, and have the same 100,000km warranty here, which kind of confirms year-round suitability.

I understand that the Vatiivas are the only tyre which also have a good "winter" rating.

The winter Firestone M&S "knobblies" which I bought and used in the UK are not really much use here in winter, as they are hardly siped at all, so they can be forgotten.

All your help and advice is appreciated, as would any further comments be, as I haven't actually purchased anything yet.

- Richard

I'm sure the WRs will be better in snow and ice.

The Vatiivas are not sold in Finland (it might be an old model). Finish Site.

I don't know anyone with the Vatiivas, so can not be of any help. I know lots of people with WRs, and they are all happy. The only Discovery owner I know with Nokians has a second set of studded 10LTs, but that is not what you really need.