Disco 1 auto Throttle problem

Derek Martin

Last night I removed the multipole connector from the ECU and put it back a few times and can now NOT reproduce the very rough, irregular, throttle position dependant running of the engine. I used the car today and everything seems fine. It is hard to believe that all this could be due to bad contacts. The ECU is in the passenger compartment, not even under the bonnet where one could imagine having much more harsh environmental conditions leading to bad connections.

I will keep the forum informed how long it will last to run correctly.

I seriously start to believe that the manufacturers create more trouble than good with all these sensitive electronics in the cars especially when I think back to my first Discovery 200TDi in 1990 were the only electronics in the car was the radio and most problems were relatively easy to fix.

As promised, here an update on the running of my Disco after the removal and refitting of the multipole connector from the ECU.

Since the 18th of December I have done about 3000 kms without the CEL light coming on or the engine struggling a single moment! So I believe that it was a bad contact. In the circuit for the throttle potentiometer very little current circulates, a bad contact changes the total resistance in the chain or can result in a temporarily open circuit under certain conditions. In the car industry every penny seems to count and good, long lasting connectors are expensive! What car to buy next?

I've still not had the CEL come back on yet - so in my case it definatley looks like a dodgy contact in the ecu plug.

Derek the relay which clicks with the CEL also clicks when you switch the ignition on as the CEL light goes off after it's initial checks.

I've still not had the CEL come back on yet - so in my case it definatley looks like a dodgy contact in the ecu plug.

Derek the relay which clicks with the CEL also clicks when you switch the ignition on as the CEL light goes off after it's initial checks.

I drove the Disco on Sunday night, and my CEL light problem was happening again (my wife normally drives it, and doesn;t always tell me if theproblem is there, to be honest I don't think she even notices it anymore!), I pulled the conector off the Airflow mass sensor and replaced it and the problem went away for the trip home, I haven't driven it since, to see how it is now. Mine could be just a dodgy contact as well, or maybe even a couple of dodgy contacts as the problem has gone away when I pulled the ECU connector, like you have, but it still keeps coming back.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Dear,

Same TPS issue with my Disco:

1) replaced TPS for the used one, but CEL light problem was happening again

2)cleaned ECU connector, it help for the 1 day max

3)changed MAF for the used one, but same symptoms: when MAF is plugged in 100%check engine problem will be, when it is unplugged problem occurs randomly (1-2 times in a few day until engine will be restarted ot ecu connector plugged/unplugged.

Please advise about MAF and TPS how they are situated/connected between?