Track Rod Protection

jericho

Having destroyed my track rod two weeks ago,and after seeing someone else do the same yesterday,I have realised how vulnerable the trackrod behind the axle on a coil sprung landrover is.Much more so than the series set up,it would seem.

Found this on Devon 4x4

gallery_1618_185_4659.jpg

What else is available off the shelf?

Do the QT diff gaurds protect the track rod?

Any suggestions? (disco 1 axle on series 2 88,if it makes any difference)

Thanks, Jerry.

I take it that item goes in the same place as the alloy standard item that fits on the diff nose?

I don't think that thing on it's own will be much help - I bent a rod on the same vehicle twice with the original item on and only on the second occasion did it break. The rod is just too long/exposed on the passenger side for a small thing like that to make a significant difference.

Les.

Guest diesel_jim

You cant to get a bit of large box section and fir the track rod inside of it.

like (as many companies do) East coast rover:

12.jpg

pretty sure $crapiron do them as well.

Edit: ^^^^ just seen Ciderman's link.... exactly the same as i was thinking!

Ive bent more track rods than I can shake a stick at. Then on the T.F.C we bent 3 in one weekend. Good job me were carrying spares as one was bent down to within inch's of the ground and another was bent up against the diff nose. Both Kris and I have now got the Gwin Lewis type that Ciderman (he's 40 today ya know) posted above. They are excellent, Only sits about 1/2 inch lower than the Track rod does and way higher than the diff so the loss of ground clearance in nothing, Built very well and mounts to the Hockey stick bolts and the nose of the diff. Also there's plenty of room for a sumo bar to pass through it. Very pleased with it.

If you're more concerned with protection than ground clearance, the Southdown axle guard is hard to beat - basically a big tray that goes under the whole axle and steering. I don't think I'd use one on a challenge truck or anything else where I was pushing to get the last scrap of performance from the vehicle, as they do lose you some ground clearance and have a reputation for ploughing into mud and getting you stuck, but I've never had any problems laning with one and I'm in any case more concerned with keeping the truck in one piece.

We use a Gwyn lewis guard and Bearmach heavy duty solid bars, an awesome combination :D

We alos do away with the defender drop arm and fit a Disco unit so as we do not have to use the weak swan neck steering damper found on the Defender draglink.

We then use a QT steering damper relocator slid over the draglink for the refitting of the steering damper.

Works very well

Jim

Go Portals :) No seriously what about an X Rod ? Yeah Si probably doesn't make them yet, but I wonder how feasible it would be to make a trackrod from spring steel so that it will deflect over obstacles and then spring back straight ?

bill.

Funny you should say that , I was asking a mate who works at a spring manufacters about the same thing .

I have one of the WVA Holdings jobs - like a Gwyn Lewis. Even with the icckle tyres it's the dogs. It's got some nasty gouges in it from various places but it negates the need for an HD track rod.

I've got the Gwyn Lewis set up, for the money you can't beat it, never bent anything since I fitted it.

I have one of the WVA Holdings jobs - like a Gwyn Lewis. Even with the icckle tyres it's the dogs. It's got some nasty gouges in it from various places but it negates the need for an HD track rod.

Dave, I'd agree with you here. I ran a simerlar protector to Gwyn's (made by Frogs Island 4x4) and, as it wouldn't take an HD trackrod I used a standard one. The worst I did was put a small bend in a standard one I guess by hitting something with one of the wheel or forcing the steering.

At present I've got a SUMO bar and a D44 protector on in order to save weight although I'll be calling Gwyn if I bend a bar!

He won't thank me for saying it.........

But Simon has bent his track rod when using Dan bars and this small protector more than once.

There said it, running for cover :lol:

DO run hardened bars through the center of the box guard, i have seen standard bars bent often when used with the box guard as they are very exposed on full lock :o

I ran my own box guard for years on my SV and it was ace, but when i built the new car i fitted a Gwyn Lewis unit as i could not make one for the money his cost.

Jim

He won't thank me for saying it.........

But Simon has bent his track rod when using Dan bars and this small protector more than once.

There said it, running for cover :lol:

DO run hardened bars through the center of the box guard, i have seen standard bars bent often when used with the box guard as they are very exposed on full lock :o

I ran my own box guard for years on my SV and it was ace, but when i built the new car i fitted a Gwyn Lewis unit as i could not make one for the money his cost.

Jim

Jim, its better to know it now than find out the hard way during an event :D Its far easier to do something about it in a nice warm workshop!

I had heard that he'd bent his but when I decided to take this route it was just after Muddies 2 years ago when Simon IIRC bent his along with a pair of rims, panhard rod and ripped a steering box off. It was enough to force him to retire. Since then quite a lot of people have been bending bars.

One of the reasons for doing it was to make it easier to remove the diff which is quite a bit slower with one of the gaurds fitted as you've got to remove the rear hockey stick bolts. What I'll probably end up doing is making up my own gaurd that can be removed fast.

• 2 years later...

ive just fitted a track rod guard from gwyn lewis, and a hd track rod from qt services, I had them powder coated first for a longer life, the gwyn lewis guard comes galvanized and attaches to the radius arm bolts, they are a bit tricky to fit, two people would make it easier :blink:

IMG_6492.jpg

IMG_6494.jpg

I got a hd track rod as well because standard ones tend to bend easy when uneven bedrock and impact is applied sometimes to the front wheels! I have seen a few banana'd they straighten easy enough but are never the same again and will bend again , the gwyn lewis guard is for rock damage from underneath :D