I'm building a Range Rover hybrid, 2WD/4WD, FWH Nissan 4.2 Diesel

willfromsussex

Intresting project you got there matey, should make for a crackin vehicle?

Me and mate built a 110 tipper a few years back using a nissan 3.3 6 pot 5 speed patrol box coupled up to Rangey Axles, with a mixture of S111 and defencder truck cab and front end finished off with a transit tipper body on the back end :blink: . Called "Bitsa" for obvious reasons. The truck was brilliant but we decided afterwards it would have been easier to put the defender truck cab onto the Nissan chassis! but hey ho.

Keep the pictures coming, will watch with intrest.

Bazza

I had considered using Patrol Chassis but they rust just as bad as Rangies if not worse, and the difference is of course, there's plenty of Rangie chassises..es..s , (Chassi?) around. Also the parts for Rangerovers are cheaper (rubber bushes for suspension links for example) are vastly cheaper than Nissan bushes, and very few aftermarket parts around for Patrols.

FYI the Rangie has 100 inch wheelbase, the SWB Y60 Patrol has 95 inch wheelbase and the LWB has 116 inch wheelbase.

Okay, the progress...

rangetrolfloor.jpg

Rangerover gearlever is very far foward, new holes need cutting in the floor. Of course we now have a 2WD/4WD lever to acommodate. Then I need to plan how to seal everything up with the Nissan gearlever gaiters. Also the handbrake lever is mounted on the gearbox in a RR, but on the floorpan via a cable with the Nissan . I have just put the drivers chair in to see how the gearlevers feel, and where would be a good place to put the handbrake lever. Gears feel nice. I have been sitting in the chair going 'Brrrrrrm.... brmmmm ' you understand :)

I'm lookin foward to some handbrake turns, something a Patrol takes in its stride, especially while the rear difflock is on, but doesn't work on a Range Rover normally :)

A very interesting build.

It might seem a daft question but does anyone know what the proper name is for the green colour of Willfromsussex's RR? A paint code would be even better :D I am also putting a '72 back on the road and I hate the original gold colour.

I'm lookin foward to some handbrake turns, something a Patrol takes in its stride, especially while the rear difflock is on, but doesn't work on a Range Rover normally :)

Range Rovers have a handbrake!?!?!?!?!?!? :lol::lol:

best have a look to see if i can find it!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

mini-update

rangetrol-cluster8s.jpg

Not done the floor modifications yet but decided to do a test fit if the wiring harness and try out the placement and ergonomics / visibility of the dash cluster. Not bad so far!

rangetrol-above03s.jpg

Bought some much beefier springs (2nd hand) and it sits quite well now. Also bought some nice 6 stud slot wheels at an autojumble so I have milled the centres to fit the Patrol hubs and been polishing them up.

rangetrol-slots-b.jpg

Also mopped all the original body panels, so they are now scratched, dented, corroded, but shiny, as opposed to dull and stuff growing on them!

b-ling

looking good will, was wondering how you were goign to deal with instruments etc i think its the better bet taking the japanese wiring, it always seems to work properly and they use really good connectors. they also use (shock) relays, which i think are alien matter to land rover.

yes their relays are very good too, sealed with O-rings and really are waterproof in my experience. put it this way, I've never seen a relay go on a Japanese car. Also the engine bay connectors come filled with grease!

If all goes to plan, the wiring should all just more or less plug in, some soldering will be required at the rear for the tail lamps, wiper etc , the main thing that will be a pain is the fuel gauge. I will be using a Rangie tank, but I have to use the Nissan sender so that the gauge will work. They use a constant readout gauge. (stays put when you turn the engine off) and the ohms are not even similar either.

Another job I'm not looking forward to is modifying the heater matrix. The original pipes cannot be used as the engine is in the way of the bulkhead hole, so I need to get pipes soldered onto the matrix in a different place, then bring them out through the side of the heater casing, then through the bulkhead in a different place. All good fun eh?

• 2 weeks later...

Right..... made a start on mine now. Loads of info on "outer Limits" forum. Good thread with pics here

Hers a couple of pics of the LR spring mounts welded to the Nissan axle. I simply cut off the Nissan ones and the LR ones from a spare axle and welded them back together. I added a bit of 6mm steel to the outside of the Nissan perch to get the exact same width as the LR ones (97.8mm to shock centres). I cut a round notch out from below the perch to make it easier to fit the bushes and nut to the LR shock (its obvious if you are doing the job where I mean)

post-1427-1207511949_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1207511959_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1207511971_thumb.jpg

post-1427-1207511980_thumb.jpg

I'll just fill your thread up with OT carp will :P

OF something like this?(on the right)

08042008442.jpg

Found on many a sailsbury axle :)

Will that raingie should be a very useful motor when its done, the workmanship looks brilliant. What tyres do you plan on running?

Will.

just normal pressed steel .

That salisbury mount looks neat, but I just cut off the mount from the rangie axle. (there are a couple of different styles of this I noticed, )I used a late one (1989) as I didn't want to butcher the very nice looking axle that came out of it incase someone wanted it (so far they haven't!)

• 2 weeks later...