Disco 3 Road Test

LR90

Ooo :blink: I just discovered the second page of the review...

I have to say I don't agree with the "excellent ride quality over any surface" bit.

It was good, but not as good as I'd expect for something weighing that much and riding on independent suspension. I was also interested to note having driven a coil sprung vehicle on 17" wheels (235/70R17) and an air spring vehicle on 18" (255/60R18) very shortly afterwards on the same roads, that the extra inch of metal seemed to cancel out the benefits of the air suspension and then some; I thought the coil spring vehicle had a noticeably better ride, the air suspension vehicle seemed quite fidgety on a jiggly road surface (most of the roads here somewhere between jiggly and #kin awful). More to the point, I didn't think it was a great deal better than my Discovery 2 riding on 255/70R16s. I guess if you could get sensible wheels to put on a D3 and not these silly low profile things with tyres made of concrete, there would be no contest, but I'd rather have a set of 16" wheels, slightly less precise handling and a much nicer ride, personally. But I doubt you can fit 16" wheels to a D3 because of the brakes etc.

As for the comments on the interior ... well I am biased I suppose but I've always really like the "old" Discovery interior - though the new one is undeniably much, much more spacious and very nice in its own right.

But the whole debate is a bit like a comment I once heard made about computers - just because the Pentium 47 280000Mhz has just been released, it doesn't actually make your old computer any less capable just because there's now something better on the market, if you only want to do the same things with it. That's kind of how I feel about the Discovery 2 which is why I'm keeping mine for the moment :)

well good, 'cause I get mine on Thursday.

So, Disco number 6 it is........ I've gone through a 200Tdi, a 300TdiS, a 300Tdi ES auto, a TD5 GS7, and TD5 Landmark, and now a TDV6S.

Somebody tell me I'm not mad. B)

You must be keen :D That's some track record of Disco ownership. I'm still on my first and aging 200 but the more miles I do in it the better I like it.

Post some pics up in the Members forum. I don't think we have many D3 owners on here so your views and experience will be very interresting. Esp given the RR Sport in on a D3 frame and its likely the Defender will follow suit.

Unfortunately I think it's highly likely (unfortunately)

Its still a **** idea though..... D3 is a fine car, and will crack the target market (who rarely if ever take it off road but probably will tow stuff quite a lot), but it ain't a Defender by any stretch of the imagination.

From my time in one, I thought its limits weren't all that much greater than the Freelander I used to have in terms of ground clearance and stupid crossaxle wavy-wheels-in-the-air-bacon-only-saved-by-ETC moments. But that was just me being a grumpy old git :D

Unfortunately I think it's highly likely (unfortunately)

Its still a **** idea though..... D3 is a fine car, and will crack the target market (who rarely if ever take it off road but probably will tow stuff quite a lot), but it ain't a Defender by any stretch of the imagination.

From my time in one, I thought its limits weren't all that much greater than the Freelander I used to have in terms of ground clearance and stupid crossaxle wavy-wheels-in-the-air-bacon-only-saved-by-ETC moments. But that was just me being a grumpy old git :D

Must admit I like my Disco but I'd rather have the 90.

How's this for a quote:

a recent report from

the Society of Motor Manufacturers and

Traders indicated that the electronics content

of a mid-range car would increase from

about 12% of the total cost in 2002 to 30%

by 2010,

Now me, I'd rather have the car sans electronics for 30% less.