£11.95 angle grinder

ThreeSheds

i bought one of the B+Q Pro el cheapo grinders last year to polish up some paint splattered chequer plate using a wire brush wheel. My big 9" grinder was just too heavy for that job, so a cheapy little one was perfect - so i thought.

after 5 minutes i noticed smoke billowing out of it and flames coming off my thick insulated leather gauntlets!!!

Turned it off and it promptly burst into flames like it was a molotov cocktail........ My gauntlets were knackered, i was not impressed as they cost alot more than the bloody grinder did!

they dont like running for any length of time, it wasnt even under any real load - as it wasnt cutting anything, jsut running a wire brush about!!!!!!!

Next door neighbour had a simillar problem when using his to cut some flags with a stone cutting disk. Dont know if we just had a bad batch or if they jsut aint up to the job of being used for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

Sounds about right for a B&Q one, I bought a sander from them when I moved in, got about 6 feet with it and then it stopped <_< at least their returns policy is good, although with other brands you have to post it back to them for investigation <_< which doesn't really help when your Bosch grinder stops working and you need a replacement to finish what you were doing.

Some of the cheaper drills/grinders etc from the far east seem to need a bit of running in.

For those of you not old enough to remember you once had to run new cars for 1,000's of miles before using full revs and full power. I can remember having an electric drill only rated for 90 seconds contiuous use.

Run them for no more than a minute continuously for the first few times you use them and they should last for ages.

Wheras I got a B and Q bargain pack over 3 years ago, containing an angle grinder, orbital sander, jigsaw, eleccy screwdriver and drill for £45 and all bar the grinder are still going strong - and they get some abuse. And the grinder lasted 2 years. I'm not complaining at that price! Guess it depends on the luck of the draw!

I got a £11.28 Angle Grinder from B&Q, so far 1 day and 2 evenings work of cutting, wire wheel and flapper on the Volvo axles (hard constant work) has failed to kill it so at the moment I'm quite impressed. My bosch one has finally died :( I figured for £11 (and the same power output) it was worth the risk and when questioned on purchasing they promised I could just come back in and swap it if it was in the year period B)