hand painting my truck

Gromit

Morning All,

After replacing a few doors on the truck, it's looking decidedly multi-coloured and I've been considering painting it. A proper respray is a bit out of my budget so was considering painting it with a foam roller :D. Also, given that there's hardly a straight panel on it, it doesn't really justify a spray job.

Haven't completely decided on a colour, other than it'll be matte I reckon.

Should be fun, as I know nothing about painting and was hoping the collective could give me a few pointers.

The dents

The worst bits are the wings, which have a nice bash each, and the bonnet, on which many people have jumped up and down on.

Can ali be hammered out reasonably straight? Is this a DIY job? Or maybe I'll just leave them for added character :lol: (I'll post some pictures)

Preparation

What do you prep the surface with? A type of preparation rather than brandname would be good, as I might not be able to get the same stuff here.

What kind of tape do you mask off window seals and the like with ?

Painting

What kind of paint should I be looking for? Do you thin it? Can the eyebrows be painted? How many coats?

Given that it's a CSW, with lots of smaller items like door frames, what side rollers are best for smaller parts and for bigger parts like the bonnet and roof?

If you've any pictures of any hand-painted trucks I'd like to see them to get an idea of the type of finish achievable.

Cheers muchly,

Gromit

May I suggest a LH wing skin and another bonnet if you want it to look straight ! The left hand wing is stretched and creased and will never look right, the right hand skin may well gently tap out and fill. You've plenty of work on the bonnet too with a nice crease along the styling line on the LH side and again plenty of stretched material ! Just depends on how you want it to look at the end, Gromit.

Mo

I'd spray it if i were you and leave the dents alone, it cost me £50 for 5L of synthetic coach enamel, thinners, and panel wipe.

rub down paintwork with 400 grit to provide a key for the paint... dont go through the paint.

mix your paint up as per the data sheet (comes with the paint), or get it as (several) aerosols

spray how it tells you to on the data sheet (prob want 3 coats, spray the first coat VERY lightly)

give it a couple of days to harden fully

thats it

normal masking tape is fine for errr masking

try and minimise dust, you wont get a professional finish but if your careful you can get reasonably close,

Mike

My god you lot are a bunch of tarts.........

My method:-

£20 for a pot full of Nato green paint from sodbury. Take 3" brush from shed. Beat with hammer a few times to soften it up. Dip brush in paint and apply to vehicle.

I can do my entire truck in 20 minutes. Dont bother with beating dents out, body filler, masking etc. Also dont bother with rubbing down, or washing the mud off.

Every now and a again a bit flakes off - I just touch it up again.

I kinda like it looking raggedy........

Jon

I found the finish with an ordinary foam roller and driptray (full homebase spec) to be very good. I used this for the roof, in my garage at room temperature. Rough it up with scotchbrite and degrease it with whatever you have for this kind of thing. I used the paintman paint in limestone colour from sodbury with no thinner attached. It is a shame he hasnt got sand though, but I think he has desert storm sand colour, which I understood you wanted. I would fit black eyebrows myself, I personally like the look better myself.

I saw, on Grand Designs recently, a white cube house that was painted with a commercial finish that was smooth and stayed clean. The presenter had a sample panel of the paint and was dunking it in and out of a pot of thick mud. None of the mud stuck to the paint and it was as clean after the mud as before.

Perhaps this isn't the effect you are after though. :lol:

My god you lot are a bunch of tarts.........

My method:-

£20 for a pot full of Nato green paint from sodbury. Take 3" brush from shed. Beat with hammer a few times to soften it up. Dip brush in paint and apply to vehicle.

I can do my entire truck in 20 minutes. Dont bother with beating dents out, body filler, masking etc. Also dont bother with rubbing down, or washing the mud off.

Every now and a again a bit flakes off - I just touch it up again.

I kinda like it looking raggedy........

Jon

i used to do mine this method, although i used to rub it down first, on trees :lol:

excluding bodywork expense i done this finish for about 30 quid, this was sprayed

post-115-1202375398_thumb.jpg

i used to do mine this method, although i used to rub it down first, on trees :lol:

excluding bodywork expense i done this finish for about 30 quid, this was sprayed

Same here i used to do the same with one of my old 90's

Jules used to always take the pi** that i never even cleaned the car . Just went out one moring and painted it from Blue to green. On the street out side the house. :lol:

dreg90.jpg

I always brush painted. I've done white, blue, yellow, green, pink and black on a variety of Land Rovers. Yes, I had a pink Ex MOD 109, it was a similar shade to those pink Ford Ka's you sometimes see. I also did a pink and black S2 SWB for my ex wife many years back!

I'll get me coat...:shame:

Guys, thanks for the info and pictures. I don't think spraying is an option at the moment. I'd have to but or rent a compressor which I don't have the space for.

Was thinking of doing it, a panel or 2 at a time, once the weather gets a bit better and I can take some time off work.

Stephen Hull's site is great, lots of info- just what I was looking for.

Love the olive matte green trucks, though I'd like something a bit less military, as it makes baddies inclined to point guns at you :blink:

Dulux!

Most of you know my 110 was Dulux Celebration Red for years ;) Its International Tractor red now, but only because I was at Mole Valley Farmers and not B&Q when I decided to paint it ;)

A mate painted the bonnet of a transit years ago shortly before it was laid up to die, in the end the bonnet was the only bit left.

You would quite happily paint your garden railings with Dulux gloss and forget about them for years why should a Land-Rover be any different.

Will :)

Mine will be getting a fresh coat of red using Dulux Weathershield and a brush, have sen a few peoples been done with that and if it gets stractched there is less upset you go and and paint it again, where as a spray job you open bottle of whiskey, start to drink and think how much money you have donated to the trees

Mine will be getting a fresh coat of red using Dulux Weathershield and a brush, have sen a few peoples been done with that and if it gets stractched there is less upset you go and and paint it again, where as a spray job you open bottle of whiskey, start to drink and think how much money you have donated to the trees

Ive just finished painting my 109 and I used synthetic coach enamel mixed 50/50.

I used 4" gloss rollers and gave it 4 light coats, cutting it back between coats. I

reckon it came quit well.

post-1941-1202404307_thumb.jpg

Ive just finished painting my 109 and I used synthetic coach enamel mixed 50/50.

I used 4" gloss rollers and gave it 4 light coats, cutting it back between coats. I

reckon it came quit well.

That looks good.

Sorry to be daft, but what did you mix the enamel with and what did you cut it with between coats?

See, told you I hadn't a clue :rolleyes: