3 warning lights on disco2

nicks90

hi folks,

just a quick one,

the wifes td5 disco (2000) has had an annoying habit of flashing up 3 lights on the dash and going bongbong.

the hill descent, traction control and abs lights have come on.

initially this happened just after having all the pads and disks changed and we put it down to a crappy connector on the cap sensing low fluid level (istr reading about this on here, but cant find it now). turned the engine off and back on and they all went away and all has been lovely since.

done a couple of thousand miles since then with no lights flashing or bonging and all of a sudden they have come back on again today. turning off and back on again hasnt made them go away - unlike last time.

any idea what it could be?

cheers

Nick

Plug it into a diagnostic computer and read the fault codes, anything else is just guessing. Most likely a sensor fault as above but could be more serious (ABS modulator block etc).

The fact that they went away before just means it was an intermittent fault - if you switch the ignition off and back on, for some of the minor faults it does a self-test and if the fault is no longer there, the lights stay off. The fact that they have not stayed off this time means that either 1) the fault is still there or 2) it is a serious fault and not one which will self-clear after a successful drive cycle. In either case you'll need a computer to clear the fault anyway so you may as well make life easier and start with a visit to a Testbook :)

One of the common reasons for this is that one of the ABS sensors isn't seated in its' housing properly, which messes up the gap and hence the reading. However, it can also be brought on by worn wheel bearings, which have a similar effect. We had this recently on my wifes' DII, where they would come on occasionally but with increasing frequency until they wouldn't go out at all. Replaced a wheel bearing (one of the rears in this case) and all has been well since.

As the others have said though, it's really necessary to get it plugged in to some diagnostic equipment to narrow down the actual cause.

think you might be onto something there darren, as the disco has started to make a drone at 40-45 and above 60mph.

thought it was just a diff getting rumbly, but it could be a wheel bearing which would coincide nicely with the error bongs and christmas trees on the dash.

i'll get em checked this weekend,

cheers

Nick

we plugged mine in and it had no faults but the lights were staying on until we cleared all the none related faults

then a few months latter it did it again.

as far as I could tell my ABS still worked, TC when off road was still working as was the HDC so I can't work it out.

I didn't bother getting them turned off I'll wait for the next service as I can't be bothered to pay £40 to have them switched off and not be any closer to knowing why.

Mine had been doing it for the last four years on and off (110,000 miles)

To get faults cleared at dealer is about £100 :angry:

So change buggered bearing and buy a Nanocom clear the faults yourself and the nanaom will only owe you £100 :rolleyes:

Which will help with all faults on the TD5 D2

Just cleared the faults on a 02 D2 with new bearing fitted and all is lovely!

Lynall

Without wishing to teach any grandmothers to suck eggs, it's worth bearing in mind that an illuminated ABS light is an MoT failure so you'll need to consider the relative dates of your next Mot and service.

Yes yes yes

the garage which turn it off for me is the garage which MOT it for me so it will just be a extra £40 then instead of now and again at the mot

your problem is caller

Having said that my Ex Dakar freelander which had black insulation tape over the ABS lights on the dash to stop the yellow glare from the bypassed ABS was not noticed at its first MOT....

• 4 weeks later...

finally got the 3 amigos to turn off.

front left wheel bearing was starting to go - so replaced the hub.

cleared the fault and now everything is hunky dory.

Also ended doing the fuel pressure regulator whilst it was on ramps as it leaked a bit/alot........

and the droning noise about 60 has gone too. peace and tranquility at last.