Discovery Tdi: Manual vs. Automatic

Hello

Due to the fact that I change my mind every five minutes about what Land Rover I want next, I have been looking at Discoverys and like the idea of a Tdi automatic version. Could anyone give me an idea of how the automatics compare with the manual versions for fuel economy, especially on a longer run?

Are they significantly worse than a manual? Also, do they all use the ZF 4HP22 with torque converter lock-up?

Thanks very much,

Mike

I would always have the Auto over the Manual given the choice.

There are two types of Auto the EDC one and the Standard Mechanical one.

I've got the EDC one it does approx 28mpg and I only really do town driving, my father in law has a 200tdi manual which does approx 28mpg as well again mostly town driving.

The EDC version has more power than the standard ones, but also has more problems

As far as I know they all have the torque converter lockup

Thanks for the details Pete and Sotal :)

I read that the EDC (whatever it is) can be removed if need be, although I couldn't find out exactly what it is and what it does - and also if it is responsible for the 12 extra bhp or just happens to be fitted to vehicles that are otherwise tuned to that level.

If you remove the EDC, do you still have 123bhp or whatever the exact figure is, and does removing the EDC upset the economy? Also, does removing the EDC cure all the problems associated with EDC vehicles, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks

Mike

:)

As Bogmonster says, you have to change the injection pump to a mechanical one from a non EDC discovery or defender.

This is what I have done with mine.

I changed mine at the same time as doing the cambelt and it took me most of a saturday to do.

The mechanical pump will give you a slight loss in power, but as it is mechanical it is easy to 'tweek' to give better performance.

I have to say that I don't think loseing the EDC hurt the economy on mine, well not as much as fitting 31" M/t's did ;) , but mine had a few intermittant issues with the EDC system so I can't say for sure that it was giving it's best when it was EDC.

Pete.

EDC is electronic diesel control and does what it says on the tin ;)

I like edc as when people say TD5 to complicated compared the their TDI not realising they have edc under their bonnet which is essentially all the same gear as TD5.

My last 300 was an auto edc pretty good car, never got anywhere near 30mpg ever.

Lynall

I like edc as when people say TD5 to complicated compared the their TDI not realising they have edc under their bonnet which is essentially all the same gear as TD5.

My last 300 was an auto edc pretty good car, never got anywhere near 30mpg ever.

Lynall

Lynall

I have always been under the impression that a 200Tdi manual would return just about 30mpg if you are careful, a 300Tdi manual slightly worse (for some unknown reason), then automatics I guessed would be worse still. Some people appear to achieve really good fuel consumption figures though.

Mike

I have always been under the impression that a 200Tdi manual would return just about 30mpg if you are careful, a 300Tdi manual slightly worse (for some unknown reason), then automatics I guessed would be worse still. Some people appear to achieve really good fuel consumption figures though.

Mike

Hi Mike, we get 35mpg day in day out from the wifes Tdi 200 manual and I get about 33mpg from my Tdi 300 auto. Yes, I know , people will say its not possible, but it's true.

We drive gently, never over 60mph and they are both more than well maintained!!