Why won't my 200tdi bleed?

Hi,

In an ongoing attempt to track down why my 200tdi is not performing as it should, today I replaced the lift pump and fuel filter.

Car starts and runs alright (which in itself is good) but I can't get any diesel to come out of the bleed screw on the fuel filter housing.

The pump is brand new and is not "on the cam" as I can move the priming lever the full amount.

Nevertheless, I can't seem to get it to bleed properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Says in the manual to bleed after changing the fuel filter. Are you getting air from the filter or nothing at all? Maybe there is something wrong with the filter housing itself - blocked bleed screw housing? Has it ever worked or have you never tried?

Guess you'd have to remove the filter and the screw and see if there is anything blocking it.

Guest diesel_jim
Hi,

In an ongoing attempt to track down why my 200tdi is not performing as it should, today I replaced the lift pump and fuel filter.

Car starts and runs alright (which in itself is good) but I can't get any diesel to come out of the bleed screw on the fuel filter housing.

The pump is brand new and is not "on the cam" as I can move the priming lever the full amount.

Nevertheless, I can't seem to get it to bleed properly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

If the operating lever thing is "on tha cam" then you can still move the priming handle, it's just floppy and limp :moglite: so you might find putting a socket on the crank bolt and turning the engine over 1 turn will move it off of the pobe on the cam.

I've done it the following way at least a dozen times...

Unscrew old filter, drain and discard.

Screw on new filter.

Start engine, but don't rev it just let it idle.

There might be a slight drop in revs as filter primes but its never ever failed to start or stalled once started.

Possible, lift pump on the 300Tdi has sprung a leak so was looking the other day and apparently the FIP has enough guts to get by while level, climbs will be too much though, especially on longer wheel bases.

However I'm with Simon, I haven't bothered bleeding the system when changing the filter on the 200 (x2) or 300. I usually make sure they are warmed up first and then change over, I do pour some of the fuel from the old filter in, just because I need to do something with it.

To the OP, have you opened the bleed screw while the engine is running and confirmed it that way? If the motor is running OK then it is bled though, if you are concerned the new pump is U/S then you could try opening the bleed screw on the pump and operate the primer, this should make it easier to see if it is working.

I've done it the following way at least a dozen times...

Unscrew old filter, drain and discard.

Screw on new filter.

Start engine, but don't rev it just let it idle.

There might be a slight drop in revs as filter primes but its never ever failed to start or stalled once started.

You "can".... but you shouldn't. It is not good for the injection pump to have air going through it. Best to prime the filter.

I open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing, pull the wire off the fuel solenoid and then get someone to turn the engine over on the key until only fuel comes out of the filter. Doesn't half save a lot of mucking about.

Works every time. No problems.

Mo

You "can".... but you shouldn't. It is not good for the injection pump to have air going through it. Best to prime the filter.

Having taken a FIP to bits to change the throttle spindle seal... the inside is a reservoir full of fuel. In addition the return pipe from the filter returns the air to the fuel tank before the feed to the FIP.

Also I know my lift pump is ok cos it was changed 2 years ago...if you do open the bleed screw it only takes a few pumps of the fuel pump to quickly fill the filter. As others have said, you can always fill the filter with clean fuel (NOT the stuff inside the old filter) if you are really worried about it not being able to prime.

So please explain to me why this is a self purging system.

Again as a mechanic I again seem to be the one out of step.

Ford told us to fit and start with a self purge system.

I've always just removed my fuel filter, fitted the new filter and started it up.

Never had a problem although as I've only been doing it for the last 66,000 miles I assume it's far too early for things to shew up.

Perhaps we should go back to the days of frantic pulling at the lift pump for ages even when there's fuel at the injectors. Yes I've had the pleasure of that on a 550FG

mike

when i changed the injection pump on mine, i had a right game getting it started! i ended up gravity feeding the pump from a container i mounted to a piece of hose attacted to the filter housing, as i just couldnt get it to pick up diesel from the tank! i let it run until the container was nearly empty, them switched the pipe over for the original one from the tank and all was well!

I open the bleed screw on top of the filter housing, pull the wire off the fuel solenoid and then get someone to turn the engine over on the key until only fuel comes out of the filter. Doesn't half save a lot of mucking about.

Works every time. No problems.

Mo

That worked very well (almost too well, as a spray of diesel got me in the face), took about 10 seconds of cranking to get all the air out, you could see a lot of air bubbling out. I'd driven the car for about 20 miles since changing the pump and filter, so I can only assume that letting the car run doesn't expel all the air from the system?

To satisfy my own curiousity, I also put he car into 5th gear, and allowed it to roll down the slope of my drive, stopping it every metre or so and checking for resistance on the hand pump. After 2 or 3 goes, the handle firmed up, and a strong flow of bubbleless diesel came out of the bleed screw.

Cheers,

Just a thought Rich, try it with the fuel filler cap off.

Mo

I like your thinking...

Just tried it, no improvement. Cheers though.

Bit of further explanation.

Friday, changed lift pump and fuel filter - but couldn't get it to bleed properly, though it ran ok.

Today, tried bleeding it again - can get fuel out of the bleed screw on filter housing, but now the car isn't running right.

It starts and revs fine, but is severley lacking in power, top speed is now 52mph and it's only making 0.5bar of turbo pressure. I've not touched anything "over there" near the turbo, have pressure tested the hose from IP to turbo and it's fine. It's like it's only making partial throttle. No smoke (it never has smoked, ever - which makes me think it's always been underfuelling slightly).

I cracked open the return on the lift pump and pumped, fuel coming out there.

Wish I hadn't messed with it now.

:angry: