New head and all is well.....

Thys

Well, after 4 weeks of blood sweat and tears, with a new head, new water pipes, clamps, water pump, thermostat, pulley bearings, cam belt cover and dust seal, re-conditioned and modified radiator (the internal bypass was removed to force all the coolant through the full coolant path inside the core), she now runs quieter, more economical, less smokey.....Pure LR enjoyment.

Thanks to all who gave advice and support during these past 4 weeks. It is highly appreciated.

Thys :rolleyes:;):lol:

That radiator mod is well worth doing if your engine gets a bit hot. Seems to affect Discos more than Defenders, though, so I haven't had it done.

Now you need an engine management system, or at least a water level alarm to make sure you do not cook your engine if a hose bursts. On a Disco the heater hoses round behind the engine are the normal culprit. Maybe you should inspect yours.

The old water level alarms we used to fit were a float, but they are a bit unreliable after a few years. Now we have an electronic one which has two screws in the tank and senses the resistance or whatever of the coolant across the wires. Get a warning buzzer and you are away. I mean, you don't want to go through all that again, do you? ;)

That radiator mod is well worth doing if your engine gets a bit hot. Seems to affect Discos more than Defenders, though, so I haven't had it done.

Now you need an engine management system, or at least a water level alarm to make sure you do not cook your engine if a hose bursts. On a Disco the heater hoses round behind the engine are the normal culprit. Maybe you should inspect yours.

The old water level alarms we used to fit were a float, but they are a bit unreliable after a few years. Now we have an electronic one which has two screws in the tank and senses the resistance or whatever of the coolant across the wires. Get a warning buzzer and you are away. I mean, you don't want to go through all that again, do you? ;)

I have the Little black Box EMS IV, and all the hoses were replaced, plus with the aid of the great cable ties, kept all the hoses away from contact with any component.

When checking the expansion tank level, I also push the level switch down, to check if the alarm sounds.

The one advantage of the black box compared to my cheepo buzzer is that if the wires to the float break for any reason, the alarm should go off. You can test this by disconnecting a wire. This makes it 'fail safe' as very few people bother to check the alarm like you do. As I normally check my coolant with the engine hot and don't have asbestos fingers I tend to leave mine alone, which is not ideal.

• 8 years later...

Hi

I bought one of Thys's black box things with with an exust manifold sensor in approx 2013 half way round our drive around africa in our 130 having fried a couple of heads on the 300tdi

He gave me another sensor - water temp?? but i lost the instructions on fitting/ connecting/ setting up the system - can somebody point me in the right direction thanks

On 11/5/2016 at 0:46 PM, 2dextas said:

Hi

I bought one of Thys's black box things with with an exust manifold sensor in approx 2013 half way round our drive around africa in our 130 having fried a couple of heads on the 300tdi

He gave me another sensor - water temp?? but i lost the instructions on fitting/ connecting/ setting up the system - can somebody point me in the right direction thanks

Those LBBs (Little Black Boxes) mentioned were made by Fox & Sons here is SA. Maybe Google them for assistance

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2016 at 6:18 PM, 2dextas said:

hi

Thanks for response

had a look but they seem to be all LED - the thing i have is very simple i thought it was other way round possibly - he supplied them?? Will keep trying.

Jip, before they went all LED, they manufactured the old (original) LBB, monitoring water level, water temp, oil pressure, and battery