Cleaning Headlining...

Hi everyone. I have the headlining of my 110 CSW sitting in my living room with a view to cleaning it (it's filthy). I tried a bit of upholstery cleaner and due to the amount of scrubbing needed the headlining was starting to aquire an afro and I could see myself spending an absolute fortune on the stuff. I was wondering if hiring a carpet cleaning machine would do the trick. Anyone tried this or have any better ideas?

Hi everyone. I have the headlining of my 110 CSW sitting in my living room with a view to cleaning it (it's filthy). I tried a bit of upholstery cleaner and due to the amount of scrubbing needed the headlining was starting to aquire an afro and I could see myself spending an absolute fortune on the stuff. I was wondering if hiring a carpet cleaning machine would do the trick. Anyone tried this or have any better ideas?

hi there,im a proffesionel valeter...what you need to do is get a wet and dry nozzle hoover and get some traffic film remover from a valeting company or supplier,spray the lining and let the chemical do the work for 10 minutes then wet again with chemical scrub gently with a brush,a crockery brush will do,then hoover excess up hang out to dry,shame im not closer,i would have done it for you, regards tristan

I normally clean mine whilst still fitted to the van ....

About once a month, or when i get told that the cab stinks like a dead animal is still in there, i get the pressure washer out and clean the entire interior. I do take the seat bases oot first though ( i made that mistake only once.) :lol:

Some head linings are made of some kind of PVC type stuff (like mine) and others like bowfinger have the normal car interior type stuff. The PVC one is dead easy to clean with a soapy wet cloth. I'm guessing thats the type you have in yours jimmy? So we need to employ different cleaning styles :(

dont do what i did - leave it in the motor and use a kitchen steam cleaner.

granted, it did come up REALLY clean very easily....

but, the whole interior felt damp for days afterwards and the steam destroyed the glue holding the headlining to the backing card and it started to droop like a bedouin tent.

I've recently ripped my headlining out the back and started sticking on some self adhesive insulator. Then I'm going to do the front, take the roof off and get some really thin carpet (light grey) kinda school grade thin and carpet the whole thing. I recon it'll look much nicer and it was starting to droop anyway.