Range Rover classic extended arches

Young bobtail Rhys

As I do not know how to pm pictures, I will post them up. As they were taken just now, they are all dark and not very good. I will get some more at the weekend.

If anyone wants to post up some more pics for Reggie that would be cool as he is trying to find some extended arches for his rrc. I am sure he will explain ;)

post-6427-1227725416_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1227725430_thumb.jpg

post-6427-1227725441_thumb.jpg

As I do not know how to pm pictures, I will post them up. As they were taken just now, they are all dark and not very good. I will get some more at the weekend.

If anyone wants to post up some more pics for Reggie that would be cool as he is trying to find some extended arches for his rrc. I am sure he will explain ;)

Thanks for the pics rhys,

I'll explain now.

I've fitted the 10x15 modulars on they stick out just a little bit........... :blink:

So I've been looking for some extended arches but have been unable to find any wide enough to meet legal requirements, MOT etc.

post-3312-1227727538_thumb.jpg post-3312-1227728247_thumb.jpg post-3312-1227728273_thumb.jpg

I've been trying to find some pics of what people have been using on the RRC so I can see whats what.

The only ones I've found are Scorpion Racings extended arches in 100mm but they don't have any in stock & say they only have the 60mm but I'm still waiting on the phone call from them to let me know for sure if they have them. I've been wondering if the 60mm ones would be enough for me to get away with as they say it might be a while before they can get the 100mm back in stock.

I looked at the 50mm flexi arches that Rhys is using but they don't look wide enough.

Does anybody know anywhere else I can get some arches like the Roccia ones that would be wide enough?

By the looks of the pictures, the 50mm arches will cover most, if not all of the tread, but not the sidewall. Not sure on the law but IMO you should be ok with 50mm arches and probably trim them. Which ever arches you fit, the tyres are always going to rub, but as long as mr plod is happy with the 50mm arches then I would say go for them

edit: as I have now seen the 75mm ones, I would go for them as they should be safe with covering the tread and the sidewalls

i think they must be 50mm i have fitted to mine with 10x15 rims and the tyres do come out past slightly but my mot tester informed me that it cant fail an mot on this but is however illegal? and would only be spotted by a good officer and only really noicable if in traffic

Have you tried riviting some rubber on?

If you got the correct grade it shouldnt sag or you could always make a little frame.

Will QT arches fit? or how about using defender flexi arches, they will take sh1tloads of abuse.

Have you tried riviting some rubber on?

Further to this, have you tried getting the tape measure out and finding out what you need?? If you are going to go to the effort of putting arches on, you might as well put some on that cover the complete tread width of the tyre (I think this is the rule).

There is no point in looking at 5 different varieties of +50mm arches when you need +75mm........

Or am I looking at this with a little too much logic?????

Rubber arches work well and can be very cheap, but they arn't the the most asthetic solution.

P1030024s.jpg

These were made from old covayor belt which despite being a good 10mm thick and having multiple layers of fabric are nice and flexible. I trimmed the arches like reggie has done, pope rivited angle brackets inside with rivnuts set into them. The belt sections are held on by bolts through them into the rivnuts so they can be easily removed/adjusted. On the front archers and rear half tof the rear arches the rubber is extended into the wheel arch a distance to prevent mud getting through up between the inner and outer body pannels.

The difficult part is the section round the rear doors, due to the inner arch arch being too close to the outer arch, the angle brackets would have prevented the doors shutting. I have temporarilly fixed (at 3:am before a pay and play) a tempoary solution using stips of metal rivited to the inners pannel of the doors and bent out under the rubber extension. Teck screws then hold the rubber to these metal strips. This works but the metal stips get bent too easily an the teck screws make the arches look just a little too crude.

My wheels stick out approx 100mm.

The 75mm GRP ones from difflock are an option just not sure if they will get damaged easily or not, shame they don't do them in the flexi.

QT flexi arches, I don't really like them & apparently they don't fit very well. Also you have to mess about a lot fitting them because unlike the Defender, the rangie doesn't have the lip to attach them too once its been trimmed.

I also offered up some Defender arches but it was a no go, didn't quite look right & not really big enough, also got hold of a set of Disco 3 arches & again not quite the right fit. So it needs to be some made for the rangie from the start.

Hey timmymac, you got any pics with the 10x15 so I can have a look at how much they stick out past the arches?

Also with the flexi arches do you have to cut the arches to give more room for the wheels, as I do need the extra room for mine, I'm wondering are the arches quite a bit bigger than the original arch like the Roccia ones?

Reggie,

I wouldn't worry about the arches not being flexi. Mine are fibreglass and they have taken a few knocks and are very tough. They are much stronger than my wing as I found out <_<

I'm seriously considering the 75mm arches now, just need to rack your brains a little more.

How much extra did you have to cut off round your original Rangie arch? I want to know how much extra room the flexi arch gives you for the larger wheels. For instance the Roccia arches give you a 5" extra big arch once cut & fitted so you have plenty of room for 35-37s.

At the moment I've just trimmed off approx 1" or so just so that it can be driven & moved around etc, but obviously needs more trimming for off road action which will be done when I get some arches.

Hey gelf, I will if it comes to it I just don't want to attract any attention from the law, I hate being pulled over by the cops :(

This might give you an indication of how much you can safely cut off and how much you require to cut off when running 35" tyres. The duck tape is only keeping mud out of the doors until I get round to filling them with expanding foam

Should have mine Friday, ordered the 75mm flexi arch.

It looks a little close still to the back door, does it catch at all when articulated a lot?