Defender vs Discovery

Adi

hello all.....

i am planning to buy a discovery.....i would like to know opinion of those who own both.. viz a defender and a discovery....and how they think which one is good,bad...in various departments....for example is the discovery cabin as noisy as the defenders?.....is the discovery faster...more comfortable then the defender?

what all points should i look out for when buying a discovery?

thanks

i would like to know opinion of those who own both.. viz a defender and a discovery....and how they think which one is good,bad...in various departments....for example is the discovery cabin as noisy as the defenders?.....is the discovery faster...more comfortable then the defender?

Adi, the Discovery is the 'luxury' version of the Defender. The cabin is more comfortable, more luxurious, and wayyyy quieter than the Defender. Also, the Disco has traction control, which the Defender does not have (except the later 2006-2007 Td5 models) and you can also have it in automatic. In that respect, the Disco can sometimes get further than a Defender, esp on loose surfaces - the TC is very good on Discos.

I was in your situation a year ago, and after many trips in my Defender, in retrospect I would have bought the Discovery - after a long day's drive in the hot African sun, you will feel less tired in a Disco than in a Defender especially if the Disco is an auto. The aircon in a Defender is utterly useless, the driving position is a nightmare if you're taller than 160cm, and the handbrake position was designed by a sadist.

if you're looking at the Td5 auto, then you should look out for the usual Td5 problems: oil in ECU harness, AVOID a Disco where the engine/turbo has been replaced - it could indicate other problems, esp in the cooling system.

that said, it's a Land Rover. I tell my friends we don't have kids, we have a LR - they cost about the same in the long term :lol:

Im currently in New Zealand, brought a Auto, V8 injection disco that has done about 80 thousand miles, all it's got is all terrain tires, did this route the other day where I was wising i was in my 90... That said, it flies on road and off, really comfortable and allot bigger than a defender inside. Compleatly different feel when hauling along loads of miles.

Both are amazing off road, and both can be upgraded to suite.

Diso is more comfortable but the interior trim would be more annoying to play with if you need to rip stuff out.

Defender is 'no frills', tough and easy to strip.

Adi, the Discovery is the 'luxury' version of the Defender. The cabin is more comfortable, more luxurious, and wayyyy quieter than the Defender. Also, the Disco has traction control, which the Defender does not have (except the later 2006-2007 Td5 models) and you can also have it in automatic. In that respect, the Disco can sometimes get further than a Defender, esp on loose surfaces - the TC is very good on Discos.

I was in your situation a year ago, and after many trips in my Defender, in retrospect I would have bought the Discovery - after a long day's drive in the hot African sun, you will feel less tired in a Disco than in a Defender especially if the Disco is an auto. The aircon in a Defender is utterly useless, the driving position is a nightmare if you're taller than 160cm, and the handbrake position was designed by a sadist.

if you're looking at the Td5 auto, then you should look out for the usual Td5 problems: oil in ECU harness, AVOID a Disco where the engine/turbo has been replaced - it could indicate other problems, esp in the cooling system.

that said, it's a Land Rover. I tell my friends we don't have kids, we have a LR - they cost about the same in the long term :lol:

Our 2005 TD5 defender had TC I'm pretty sure it was available in the TD5 Range from early on.

Badger where in NZ are you?

A good mate is out there now. North Island with his L/Rs

Our 2005 TD5 defender had TC I'm pretty sure it was available in the TD5 Range from early on.

TC was available on the TD5 from 1999 (first seen on a limited edition over here, with 265/75R16 BFG ATs as well).

It does work very good, and I would expect it to be the same system as in the Disco.

As for chosing between them, the Disco is much more car-like, while the Defender has the iconic look.

It really depends on what you like, and what you want to use it for (lots of highways for example will make the Disco look better).

But I wouldn't go as far as to call the Disco a luxury version of the Defender, it's more like a basic Range Rover.

Currently im in Nelson

heading out to the Rainbow road / track tomorrow, gonna camp in my "overland equiped" disco...... do a couple of hikes etc, was in Auckland and had help buying my truck from this guy called Ashley (he writes for NZ 4x4), anyhow will post up some pictures. of the route as it should be fun in the disco... it's kindda converted my opinion on discos as the V8 injection has allot of power, suto box makes it easy.... and it was only 4,500 nz bucks.... gonna sell it at the end hopefully for more as ive added "overland equipment" and a new stereo with ipod jack! (oh the increase in price) :lol:

for example is the discovery cabin as noisy as the defenders?.....is the discovery faster...more comfortable then the defender?

Discovery is quieter, faster and, most people would agree, more comfortable than a Defender.

Be on the look-out for rust around the rear boot floor, rear body mounts, rear seatbelt mounts, sills and inner wings - at least, that is the case on UK cars.

ABS and TC are available from 1999 on (Td5). Discos had ABS on some earlier Tdi models - post 1995?

In my opinion: A Discovery is not so forgiving as a Defender if you intend to carry large or heavy items as it is more likely to suffer trim damage from the wear and tear of loading/unloading. If you use the car off-road and damage the car (dents etc.) the Discovery will look much worse than a Defender - I am not sure why, just a personal thing. The fact that a Discovery has wider bodywork than a Defender makes it more prone to damage.

Chris

Defender owner.

I bought the disco - I looked into buying a defender, but for my price range the 90's and 110's I was looking at were dogs. My disco isn't the best, and its took a loooooooooooong time to get rid of the wet dog smell! BUT Its like driving an armchair, it handles "ok" and its pretty quiet inside. It has a few scratches and patches of rust on the body so I wasn't too concerned about collecting any more knocks while out and about.

Defender 90 truck cab:

Nightmare for size, you + passenger and box of sarnies is it full up.

I bought two, don't ask me why, I didn't intend to get the second.

Defender 90 hard top:

Better inside, more space, still only a two seater for older models though. Expensive to make into a 4 seater these days.

Defender 110:

Good inside, seems better size than 90 for front seats, don't know why. Loads of space and seats 5 with no issues. Longggg though.

Discovery:

I reckon it sits between def 90 HT and 110. you get more space, better layout and able to pack gear in. Wheel base is magic 100", 90 is actually 92" so you don't lose much. I think the seats and driving position are great.

Series 1 are basically defender mechanics, electrics seems slightly better than defender. Limited elements of electro gizmos, much like defender.

series 2 are nice, some nice improvements, however lots of ABS/ETC/EBD stuff. You need a test book or summit to sort out the 3 amigos (HDC/TC/ABS) lights when (not if) they come on. I'd personally stick with a series 1 (having just bought a D2 V8).

Of course there is the range rover, which is basically the same as the discovery, different engine choices though.

Of course there is the range rover, which is basically the same as the discovery,

Go and wash your mouth out man!!!! How dare you equate the Discovery to the Range Rover!!!Tsk tsk :blink::blink::P

Ohh, I need a lie down. :lol:

Bish

(ex RR owner, now a slow, uncomfortable and noisy Defender owner) :lol:

We've had several Disco's now, mostly V8s. Our current one is a 300TDi and its the last Derv Disco I'll ever own. V8s are just so much better and make a perfect all round car. I got so cross with our derv Disco that its now being scrapped out of spite and replaced by a freelander! (Bloody good things Freelanders! I can't believe how much I enjoy it!)

Defenders are very different. As a day to day car you need to be a Defender person to live with one, its a state of mind that a lot of people aren't capable of. I drive my 110 everywhere and love it, I've done several all day drives in it lately and its a hoot.

Bish is right about RRs - different league altogether. Having said that Bish commited the ultimate abuse of Gods own vehilce by shoving a tractor engine in a perfectly nice V8SE ;)

Will :)

I currently have a 300TDi discovery, and I love it. With CC on the motorway, you can almost stick your feet up on the dash and go to sleep. I have reached the point now that I won't drive any other car on a long journey.

I used to have a defender - much more tolerant of being bumped into things, and a much more rugged load space. However, the driving position didn't work too well for me so changed just from a comfort point of view.

I still have a series though, just to remind myself what "proper" land rover driving is like...

I've got a 300Tdi disco as a daily driver, which i've had for 2.5 years, it replaced a 300Tdi defender 110 which I had for 5 years.

I loved the Defender, but i'm in no rush to get another one, while it would have to do the daily commute..

The Defender was much tougher, and was slightly better off road just because of the better ground clearance and narrower body, but the Disco is streets ahead on road because of the proper seats, heating and air-con.

I went to Morocco in 2006 in the Disco, and was glad I didn't still have the 110, as the Disco was more comfortable down through Spain, and the air-con was a god-send in Morocco...

Tdi Discos are currently the best value secondhand Landrover you can buy, as you'll find a Nice one for £1500, and an absolute minter for 3k...

Somone once said "the Discovery is the thinking mans Defender" I'm sure I've seen it as somones quote on here too...

Having driven a fair few Discoverys, Range Rovers and Defenders I can safely say for every day use I prefer the Discovery.

I have both and I have to say that the 110 is a Land Rover, the Disco is a SUV... Spending most of its time stationary only used when I have to.

I wonder why I bought the Disco at all, a eurobox of some sort would have been a better choice for my business travels. :rolleyes:

I bought an early Discovery and it's a completely different animal than the Defender. Quieter, comfier, better ride than particularily a 90, and most have better handling (apart from the really early discos)

I liked the Disco so much I extensively modified it for off road use and had to buy a Td5 Disco for daily use. Again far better than the Td5 defenders I've driven.

The only thing for a Defender (particularily a 90) is that everything you do to modify it will make it better off road than a similar modified Discovery, so you're always playing catch up if you have a Disco. That said I'd rather be playing catch up in my comfy seat, warm cabin, family of 4 on board and able to hear the stereo :lol:

doesnt it all depend on what you are using it for? ive got a noisy old ex mil defender, the heater dosnt work, the windows slide backwardsa and forwards and it dosnt have a cd player, but i own that over a disco everyday (having driven one) but as someone put "you have to be a special kind of person". RR are nice though-i did get overed one for 250 in good nick, but for me the insurance is too much (im 21 with 1 years no claims)

Go and wash your mouth out man!!!! How dare you equate the Discovery to the Range Rover!!!Tsk tsk :blink::blink::P

Ohh, I need a lie down. :lol:

Bish

(ex RR owner, now a slow, uncomfortable and noisy Defender owner) :lol:

It's like lego Bish, same guy different hat on him :)

It's the engine options that make the difference -

Disco 1 offered with 2.0 MPI and 200TDi until ??? (1994?) then V8 and 200TDi , then 1997 on was V8 and 300TDi

D2 TD5 and V8 MPFI

RR V8, then V8 and VM??, then V8 and TDi?

If you want an older V8, RR is the way to go, if you want a derv then Disco.

It's like lego Bish, same guy different hat on him :)

It's the engine options that make the difference -

Disco 1 offered with 2.0 MPI and 200TDi until ??? (1994?) then V8 and 200TDi , then 1997 on was V8 and 300TDi

D2 TD5 and V8 MPFI

RR V8, then V8 and VM??, then V8 and TDi?

If you want an older V8, RR is the way to go, if you want a derv then Disco.

3.5 on carbs was available from launch IIRC. 300Tdi with the R380 gearbox was available from 1995 MY when the front end was 'facelifted'. ...though there were a few 'crossover' cars where old bits were used up/new ones substituted.

MPi came later.

Chris

Well I never! So they actually introduced the 2.0MPI engine?? I assumed it had started with it.

Had no idea that the 300s started in 95, I thought it was a year or two later.

How long was the MPI offered for then? Can't have been very long.

Our L plate (1993? 200shape) 3 door 3.9V8i was my favourite Discovery of ours to date, shame I crashed it :(

Day to day the 110 takes some beating for usefullness, even driving all day, but for motorway driving the Disco is more relaxing. Range Rovers are sublime at motorway speeds, effortless even towing 3tons, brilliant cars.

Will :)

I am going though this at the moment too. I have a 300 TDi disco and a 300 Tdi 90 . I want to replace the disco which is the wifes car ( i have a company car) with a d2 TD5 but the misses does not want a disco.

She wants to replace it with a 110 Td5. Any colour as long it is not white ( not an easy task in Australia as more than 80% of them are white ). When we were in the Uk the 300TDi 90 was her car In fact She chose the colour and style when we did it up . While my mum was here, she had to use the 90 to go back and forward to work again. And she loves it and remebered how much better she likes to drive it than the disco.

But it also down to space as we have the two of us plus one chaild and two Huskies. And if we want the dogs , pram child and anyone else then we have a big problem in the disco . This all would be alot easyer in a 110 than a disco

But that is my feelings at the moment

Ali