Stupendously light steering

yellow

Bought a 1986 110 with a nice V8. All is well (period rust, but good chassis) but the steering itself is extremely light. I have never experienced steering this light on a 110. It is barely manageable on high speeds, as it reacts immediately and quite strongly. Slow maneuvering is good and the steering does its work there, but only one second of attention loss could potentially be fatal, especially at higher speeds.

Anyone a clue on how to make the steering feel a bit more '110-like'? It's a standard 6 bolt box I am driving with

Bought a 1986 110 with a nice V8. All is well (period rust, but good chassis) but the steering itself is extremely light. I have never experienced steering this light on a 110. It is barely manageable on high speeds, as it reacts immediately and quite strongly. Slow maneuvering is good and the steeing does its work there, but only one second of attention loss could potentially be fatal, especially at higher speeds.

Anyone a clue on how to make the steering feel a bit more '110-like'? It's a standard 6 bolt box I am driving with

hi i have the same problem with my one hope someone knows what it is i can turn my steering wheel with my finger and i got 12 inch wide tyers very light

My 300Tdi is the same.

It all started after I had my front nearside inner wheel bearing colaps. Replaced it, the load on the bearings are correct with no play but ever since its bin as twitch as hell. I did remove the two top bush bolts to remove the brake pipe braket and I wonder if something has moved as it alowed the swivel to drop, with a puddle of oil to show for it.

Assuming the rest of the steering is OK, bushes, joints etc. Then it's likely it's a box fault.

Located within the valve body in the steering box is a torsion bar, it's job is to vary the amount of power assistance dependent on the effort applied to the steering wheel/resistance at the road wheels.

At low speed more effort is needed to turn the wheel, the torsion bar twists and allows the valve to open further providing more power assistance.

As road speed increases less effort is required, the torsion bar twists less, valve doesn't open as far, therefore less assistance.

This provides assistance only as needed and "feedback" at the wheel.

If the torsion bar is weakened or broken the box provides full power at all times as there is little to stop the valve opening fully.

Failure is normally the result of heavy off roading and/or big tyres.

Also if the steering swivel preloads are too tight the box will again provide excess assistance as the input effort at the wheel will be higher.

The torsion bar is integral with the valve/worm assembly. Not really a diy job and exchange boxes are not a lot of money.

Finally if you have this problem, the steering wont fail any further but as said, it's dangerous at speed.

DON'T DRIVE IT ON THE PUBLIC ROAD UNTILL IT'S FIXED.

Assuming the rest of the steering is OK, bushes, joints etc. Then it's likely it's a box fault.

Located within the valve body in the steering box is a torsion bar, it's job is to vary the amount of power assistance dependent on the effort applied to the steering wheel/resistance at the road wheels.

At low speed more effort is needed to turn the wheel, the torsion bar twists and allows the valve to open further providing more power assistance.

As road speed increases less effort is required, the torsion bar twists less, valve doesn't open as far, therefore less assistance.

If the torsion bar is weakened or broken the box provides full power at all times as there is little to stop the valve opening fully.

Also if the steering swivel preloads are too tight the box will again provide excess assistance as the input effort at the wheel will be higher.

The torsion bar is integral with the valve/worm assembly. Not really a diy job and exchange boxes are not a lot of money.

Finally if you have this problem, the steering wont fail any further but as said, it's dangerous at speed.

Are you talking from technical experiance?

Have you ever seen any of these torsion bars fail?

I have never seen any of these torsion bars break.

I can see how a weakening of this bar could possibly result in lighter steering though.

Just a thought , has the power steering pump on the engine been changed? there are a few different types of pumps.

As for the torsion bars I have offroaded trucks for a good while with oversized tyres, using a 4 bolt steering box the truck has been through the wars and the steering box never gave any trouble except leak out the lower seal.

The vehicle is standard. Used to belong to the Staffordshire Police, then belonged to a aged gentleman farmer. This makes me believe that there are no mods. The engine was changed a couple of years ago, and thus a different pump might have been fitted, but both engines were LR standards, so again, I do not think this is it.

I have crashed a 110 recently, and still have the front axle,and 6 bolt box out of that one. Once the wather warms up a bit,and it stays dry, I will swap the front axle and box out, complete with linkages, etc...

Until then it will be back on my 1200 GSA to go back to work...

Several other thoughts before condeming the power steering box:

1. What tyres are you running, and at what pressures?
  2. Are any of the suspension bushes worn/damaged such that the suspension becomes a bit twitchy at speed?
  3. Could the pressure relief valve in the power steering pump have stuck closed, giving too high a pressure at the steering box and hence more assistance than required?

Are you talking from technical experiance?

Have you ever seen any of these torsion bars fail?

I have never seen any of these torsion bars break.

I can see how a weakening of this bar could possibly result in lighter steering though.

Yes, i am talking from technical experience. This was a known fault (weakening of the torsion bar) in the mid/late eighties, but not that common.

I cant remember if both Adwest and Gemmer boxes where affected, in this case it's a Gemmer.

I only ever saw one actually break.

As for overpressure in the system, I'd say unlikely as if the relief valve was stuck shut you would have other symptoms,

oil leaks, slipping belt and a tendency to stall the engine at full lock when idling.

Also if you understand how the system works you'll see there is only limited pressure applied to the ram at lower steering wheel input effort, (higher road speed =less resistance to turn from the road wheels).

If you hold the steering on full lock you'll hear the "hiss" as the relief valve lifts, if it's working.

As i said, I make the assumption that the OP had, or would be able to check all the basics, joints, bearings, bushes etc, and in the absence of anything obvious was seeking other possibilities.

Even the complete removal of the steering damper wont make much difference to steering effort much less make it "stupendously light".

:huh: I had a total of 9 hour journey and made a distance of 606 kilometers. I deliberately wanted to get the oil pumping right through the system. My brother (co-pilot) complained of the steering being too sensitive. My PAS pump is an Adwest 4 bolt pump Which I got sent to me for 4 months ago. I have changed to new steering damper. I also changed the top swivel pin ,shims and bearings in the chrome swivel. I also changed the lower bearings and pin too. I did check on the preload too (4-7kg).

My question is how "Stiff :P " must the steering be to avoid the " Stupendous Sensitivity"?

I had this problem on my 90 before I bought it. It turned out to be the steering box. The chap I bought it from fitted a reconditioned box(exchange I think ) and everything was fine and dandy and has been since.

Even he had to admit the truck was extremely dangerous if driven with steering so light as it was..

Regards

mike

correct me if im wrong but theres a little pin that can be knocked out on the shaft in the box that has this effect a trick used by some triallers to steer faster and quicker

What's the tracking like? if there's too much toe-in then the vehicle will want to steer itsself off the road - the faster you go, the worse the effect.

Park vehicle on a flat surface, steering central then run a bit of string tight round all four wheels, half way up each wheel (making sure it's not touching anything else). Adjust the trackrod so the wheels are parallel or toed very slightly (a few mm) out as this makes for safer handling - better self centering at speed.

Would be interested in these mods as my steering is a bit lazy - the power assistance seems to take a while to respond (even before hydro assist), once it catches up it's fine but it's pretty sluggish if you quickly throw the wheel one way then the other. This is on a 3-bolt box.

I had a look through the Adwest (4-bolt) section of the Defender overhaul manual (Page 249 in the PDF), but can't see mention of a torsion bar.

Part of me says this is best left alone though as i don't fully understand the workings.

Well, it's like this: When I have the vehicle parked on a hard surface, and the engine running, I can turn the wheel full lock to the right and then to the left with only the tip of my finger on the steering wheel. Usually I would only be able to do this with both hands, or maybe with one hand if I would be lucky.

I will change the 6 bolt with another 6 bolt I have left over from the vehicle I crashed 3 weeks ago. That one was OK (until the crash). If the issue persists, I will probably swap the front axle off the crashed one, as that would be less work than open up the one that is under the vehicle now...

correct me if im wrong but theres a little pin that can be knocked out on the shaft in the box that has this effect a trick used by some triallers to steer faster and quicker

Yes, basically it disconnects the torsion bar from the system. There is also a flow restricter that needs opening up to get the best reaction from the pump.

Most definitely NOT something to be doing to a road going vehicle.

You wont see the bar on any parts diagram as it's contained within the worm/valve assembly for which no parts, other than the seals are available.