My Discovery

Brian S

Here is the story so far....

I brought my first Landrover last Autumn, the usual story, my mates were getting into green laning and off roading and after a few trips in the passenger seat I had to get my own.

I even got the rest of the family into it...... Result.:cool:

Here it is when I brought it.

Photo264.jpg

Nice a comfy for those trips out.

Photo268.jpg

Its a 3.9 V8 ES model.

Then I started to get it dirty.

The day after I got it.

Image009-1.jpg

Then I decided to give it a thorough check through for rust. I did the basics when buying it but wanted to see how good/bad it was.

The boot floor was not too bad. There is welding done on the arches, behind the rear door already and some surface rust on the boot floor sides but that was it. I removed the loose rust and treated it with Hammerite rust cure. There was section needed welding behind the boot rubber. A friend of a friend did a great job for not much money. He also found a patch on the chassi that he welded a patch on for me.

Image015.jpg

Image028.jpg

Image029.jpg

Image032-1.jpg

Image033-1.jpg

Image034-1.jpg

Then painted it all in Hammerite spray. Quite a close match

Image035-1.jpg

The footwells were quite good even though the carpet on the passenger side was damp, I needed to lift the carpet for a few days to let it dry out.

Image042-1.jpg

Then took it greenlaning before Christmas :)

Image054.jpg

Had a little fight with a tree on Monday night when we went out for some greenlane fun in the snow.

New glass needed :eek:

Image075-1.jpg

Image076-1.jpg

Image077-1.jpg

Then today brought some new toys and a glass, to be fitted this weekend.

Image074-1.jpg

Image071.jpg

Image073.jpg

Image072.jpg

I took it for the dreaded MOT on Friday, and guess what......

Yes it Failed.

Needed new brake pads and cats. I had a blocked cat and had them removed and with a through pipe welded in, basically made a de-cat pipe.

The old pads were very bad.

Image079-1.jpg

Image080-1.jpg

New pads fitted.

Image081-1.jpg

Image082-1.jpg

The guy also pointed out some surface rust on the back end of the Sill, so I removed the plastic Sill covers and found this.

Image085-1.jpg

Image087-1.jpg

The rest of the sill look ok, just some surface bubbles

Image086-1.jpg

I got the hose out and run water through the sills and cleaned them up.

I will be getting the sill patched up next week then will treat all the little patches with rust cure and coat the lot in underseal

Then once I am happy its all dry it will get a load of Waxoil sprayed in there.

Now I need to sort out an exhaust.

I can buy aftermarket cats from EBAY for £199 but is there an alternative?

I was wondering what a decent full aftermarket system would cost with better headers. It might be worth paying extra to get some extra power and nicer sound.

Got a few bits done today, Its been a great weekend for working on your Landy. Nice and sunny :D

I forgot to post these pics of a monster being built by the guys I brought my glass from.

Image068.jpg

Image069.jpg

Image070.jpg

Well I cracked on with the side glass.

All removed

Image088-1.jpg

Boot needs a tidy :D

Image089-1.jpg

I had bit of straightening to do.

Image090-1.jpg

Image091-1.jpg

And all in.

Image092-1.jpg

Will need some silicon in there for now. I need to borrow a slide hammer an get it pulled out a bit

Image093-1.jpg

While the trim was out I found the likely cause of the wet interior, I had dug around the roof sill and found a couple of small holes which have now been filled :D

Image094-1.jpg

Image095-1.jpg

Final job of the day was to fit my Jate Rings.

Image096-1.jpg

Image097-1.jpg

They are a bit of a drive from me but always a great source of Discovery parts.

Yesterday I got the welding done on my sill.

Image098-1.jpg

Image099-1.jpg

Image100-1.jpg

Image101-1.jpg

Image102-1.jpg

Went out this morning and found the road closed.

Was tempted to go back for the Landy :D

Image103-1.jpg

Image104-1.jpg

This guy was stuck in the middle and had to be pulled out..... Muppet.

Image105-1.jpg

While out today I picked up my latest purchase. :D

Image106-1.jpg

Image107-1.jpg

Will be fitted aong with my steering guard this weekend.

I'm just waiting for my ehaust to arrive then I can get it back to the garage for its MOT.

That a nice looking Disco. Not too far off what I am aiming for.

My plans include

Bullbar (Waiting to be fitted)

Steering Guard (Waiting to be fitted)

Side steps (Set in garage, having mounting issues)

2 x driving lights on bullbar (Trip to Halfords at the weekend)

Mud tyres (Saving up)

Roof Rack (Saving up)

Then I want to get some stickers on it, nothing over the top, just to make it look purposeful, if that make sense.

This summer I want to go on a few long weekends with the family, camping in Wales or Scotland and driving through some of the national parks and green lanes that we dont get in Essex. Just haveing everything we need in the back, a bit like a mini safari. As I cant afford the real thng :D

My new Cats arrived this week.

Image002.jpg

One fitted it sailed though its MOT, the reading was something like 0.003 so almost fresh air coming from the exhaust now :D

As it was dry and sunny I decided to have a go at fitting my Steering guard and bull bar.

Unfortunately once the bullbar is on the steering guard is too wide. :(

Why cant I have some luck with this car. I realy like the look of the bull bar and with all the other damage I've pickd up its only a matter of time for the lights or wing to take a battering.

I may try a find a cheaper aliminium guard to see if that fits. I wonder if every other Discovery owner who does these mods has so much trouble.

Some pics from today.

Image003.jpg

Image004.jpg

I brought some steel wheels from my mates 110 he is doing up.

Got them powder coated and just been to pick them up.

Sorry no before pics.

Image010.jpg

Image011.jpg

Image012.jpg

When they went off they had little black allen head bolts all round the edge to make them look split rim, but they have gone. Any idea where I can get replacements?

Cheers Mr Alford :)

I am taking it forward as my budget allows (Mr Barclaycard or Mrs S usually :D) But t the moment I dont plan on making it an off road monster.

I want to tackle some of the more rocky lanes in other parts of the country but I am not bothered if I have to wimp out of the serious stuff.

Next step is a set of 235 85 16 Mud Tyres to give the diffs a 1 1/2" lift, minimal body cutting, then just a few mods to make it look a bit tougher without looking all out monster.

Plastic arches, stickers, roof rack, that type of thing