how much can a defender tow?

Hi all, I drive a series as my user name suggests, But my dads company has a 2003 defender (2.5 turbo diesel shorty). We want to buy a bigger capacity hydroseeder for his business (hydroseeder is essenitaly a big water tank with a pump for landscaping work). The machine weighs about 1 and a half ton unladen, but it holds 900 gallons of water!! Do you think a defender can pull this weight off road with no modifications. Or r we punching above our wieght here.

Thanks

series 3

900 gallons of water weighs 4050 kilos so i dont think a defender will pull or more importantly stop five and a half tonnes and as i drive a unbaffled vacuum slurry tanker i can tell you it takes a lot futher to stop with a live load anyway, and roundabouts approached even slightly too quickly can be very exciting in a bum clenching way

i realise this is not answering your question directly but there is a thread somewere going into your question in detail, did you know how much water weighs? it surprizes a lot of people

Given that you say "off road" it depends entirely on the conditions. If its even slightly soft or slippy, forget it but if you are moving it around over good hard and reasonably level ground then a Defender would shift 6.5 tons in low range with no problem at all. Grip versus drag is what you need to consider and things like what sort of tyres are fitted to the thingy (flotation or narrow) and the vehicle (road tyres or grippy tyres) will have an effect. I would think its more likely to have been designed to be towed behind a tractor though.

6.5 tons!! thats what im talking bout :P . The ground conditions are variable but never too rough. We actualy run on thin road tyres :rolleyes: , but I think if we r gonna start with something this big we r gonna need something chunky!!

Now we know what itll pull, Thats a weight off my mind (pardon the pun).

Thanks chaps

It'll be fine moving the plant around a yard in low range, but I wouldn't even think about taking it onto anything softer than tarmac, or onto the public roads..

I towed a 38T truck with my old 300TDi defender, so it'll move the trailer OK, but I wouldn't do it regularly, you might find yourself changing a lot of clutches!

Seriously, i'd look for something bigger, like a 'Mog...

Hi all, I drive a series as my user name suggests, But my dads company has a 2003 defender (2.5 turbo diesel shorty). We want to buy a bigger capacity hydroseeder for his business (hydroseeder is essenitaly a big water tank with a pump for landscaping work). The machine weighs about 1 and a half ton unladen, but it holds 900 gallons of water!! Do you think a defender can pull this weight off road with no modifications. Or r we punching above our wieght here.

Thanks

I checked on the internet under Land Rover towing capacities, My Disco 3 and 110 TD5 are rated at total weight of 3 tonnes, it could be less for a 90.

I checked on the internet under Land Rover towing capacities, My Disco 3 and 110 TD5 are rated at total weight of 3 tonnes, it could be less for a 90.

That's strange, as far as I know both the D3 and Defender are rated for 3.5ton (4ton with coupled trailerbrakes). :huh:

In Belgium, you do need to have agreement from the importer to get a 90 rated above 3ton, but that's just a formality.

Thanks

3500 Kilos. I just checked again, seems to be the same weight for all Land Rovers.