The Halfords Trade card...

freeagent

I've got a trade card for Halfords, which i've been using to buy a few bits for tha Disco lately..

I bought a new air filter yesterday, ticket price £8.99, Trade card price £3.59!!!

Which is cheaper than a coopers filter from Paddocks...

on examination, its a Coopers air filter in the Halfords box. (even had the same serial number and tooling marks as the coopers one I replaced)

I also saved £40 on a battery before Christmas, and Bosch wiper blades are also working out at less than half the ticket price!

You also get discounts on tools and fluids (inc screenwash!)

I'd certainly recommend it to anyone on here...

The normal way is to have a mechanics qualification or garage/workshop payslip but, since i have neither of those, i found out it's not too difficult anyway.

They were happy to see a payslip and business card in my case, even though my job is not auto industry related. The small print mentions the alternative of 'auto factor receipts' or similar. I think they're happy to give you the discount if you prove that you're spending your money often elsewhere.

I just popped in and had a chat with them - wish i hadnt bothered!

"are you a mechanic"

"no, im an engineer but i work on and repair vehicles"

"oh, so your an engineer in the army"

"no, i never mentioned the army, im an engineer, i dont have a mechanics qualification so im not a mechanic, but i am an engineer and work on vehicles"

"in the army?"

......i give up and walk away!

i went in guy just said , if you work in a garage no problem take in a pay slip

i told him im not a mechanic but am a mechanical maintainance fitter , he said no problem just take any qualification , city+guilds, NVQ etc and will take around 10 mins to sort out you account and it will be acctivated there and then

still got to dig out all my paper work

may just use the heading bussnes paper route using my dads hydralic platform bussness

i have one.. its great.. i didnt know of such thing. but my brother know one of the girls in my local halfords and he told.. i went streight up there and got one.

saved a fortune on oils, tools. i get all my tools from there.. there good enought for me. i got a big tool kit.. was £100 trade was £67! and ratchet spanners £37 trade was £20 :rolleyes:

cheers sam

It took me a while to find it so I thought I would post the qualifying info for the trade card here:

From this page: Clicky linky

Qualified Technician - City & Guilds in Motor Mechanics Certificate or garage payslips

Self–employed Mechanic - High volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months

Mobile Mechanic - City & Guilds in Motor Mechanics certificate or high volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months

Small Independent Garage Mechanic - Recognised payslips for employee, high volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months or City & Guilds in Motor Mechanics Certificate

High Volume Parts Buyer (or frequent user of car parts) - High volume of local motor factor invoices from last 3 months

I particularly like the last one as any Landy owner would qualify ;)

Well I am off tonite to give it a go. I have a pile of receipts from the past 12 months, letter headed paper ;) and a business card with a load of engineering qualification letters after it. They won't know they're not automotive anyhow? B)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_173019

Well I am off tonite to give it a go. I have a pile of receipts from the past 12 months, letter headed paper ;) and a business card with a load of engineering qualification letters after it. They won't know they're not automotive anyhow? B)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/...tegoryId_173019

Well I have the card, but more by luck than anything else. It requires 'the managers discretion' if no garage related pay slips are shown. The manager wasn't there so the two guys at the trade counter made an 'executive decision' - that's rare these days? ;)

So I have said card so thought I had better give it a try out:-

Halfords EP80/90 GL4 1 litre - normally £6.99/l I paid £5.49

Barrs rad flush - normally £4 I paid £2.50

Halfords chain lube - normally £6.50 I paid £5

Halfords washer jet one way valve - normally £2.50 I paid £1.50

No where are the discounts outlined so it is pot luck and as mentioned above the discounts are only on 'automotive consumables'. So what level of reduction has anyone else received?

Here is a breakdown of some for info :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=676691

Cheers,

Paul

Well I have the card, but more by luck than anything else. It requires 'the managers discretion' if no garage related pay slips are shown. The manager wasn't there so the two guys at the trade counter made an 'executive decision' - that's rare these days? ;)

So I have said card so thought I had better give it a try out:-

Halfords EP80/90 GL4 1 litre - normally £6.99/l I paid £5.49

Barrs rad flush - normally £4 I paid £2.50

Halfords chain lube - normally £6.50 I paid £5

Halfords washer jet one way valve - normally £2.50 I paid £1.50

No where are the discounts outlined so it is pot luck and as mentioned above the discounts are only on 'automotive consumables'. So what level of reduction has anyone else received?

Here is a breakdown of some for info :)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=676691

Cheers,

Paul

That's a good link, some REALLY cheap prices too, wish I'd had my trade card a year ago!

I got my card by taking in my certificate of incorporation (I run a ltd company). I told them I do service work off shore and purchase a lot of tools and they were happy to give me one.

Saying that, I just bought 20 litres of 5W/30 fully synthetic oil for £52 from Unipart, Halfords would have been near double that even with the trade card so it's still worth shopping around.

Shopping around is definitely still keyas you said. The trade card isn't a magic solution!

Halfords will match a price if you are a trade card holder and you find it within 20 miles of the store within the next 7 days.

Doesn't sound really convenient, but if you ring a couple of motor factors and get a price, then you can use that info at your Halfords store. I have on occasion because the Halfords is closer to me that any motor factor.....however, flip side is that a motor factor more often than not will have most stuff on the shelf and will get anything else next day.

You pays yer money..... :)

Guest otchie1
Yep, same here for some things, but for some service parts Halfords Trade are cheaper, for exactly the same items.

Never known that happen.

I suppose it all depends on your PartCo discount rate.

Brown Brothers are also good although Camberley Auto Factors are getting as pricey as Halfords now.