"difflock" Oil drain pan

J@mes

Just bought one, but not from difflock - they are £8 cheaper on ebay, made by draper.

Anyone use one? how do you find it? my last oil drain pan was an old storage box, which split this week and dumped all the engine oil on the drive :( so I'm hoping this will be a little more robust?

Also bought a strap drive oil filter remover, made by sealey - this any good? was only £5 so thought it was worth a punt.

I have a strap for a socket ratchet, I think it is a Draper one.

It is very good but sometimes will crush a filter before removing it.

This is not a problem if you do not intend reusing it (why would you?).

Marc.

The wrenches work well, I have one of the Draper strap type ones as well (webbing strap, goes on a 1/2" square drive ratchet extension)

My oil drain pan used to be a rusty old jerrycan that was past any further use for fuel storage. I applied 5 min TLC on one side with a large hammer and cold chisel to make a hole a bit smaller than the side of the can, and lay it on its side for draining the oil out. It had a usefully positioned handle for pulling it out from under the vehicle, and you could empty it by opening the jerrycan nozzle and draining it into a drum or whatever.

Cost: £0 :)

I don't know if you can find these in the UK, but I really like it. It's about 50cm in dia and holds enough oil I can do 2-3 changes without having to empty it and doesn't leak out when you set it on end, provided you remember to close the vent hole (the yellow plug). Don't ask me how I know. ;)

GAS-11838.jpg

You can't really see it, but there's a screw out plug in the center you have to remove when using it.

How do you get on with the difflock drain plug? does it seal ok, and work as you'd expect it to? I did notice oil pissing all over the place when I took the sump plug out :(

Difflock drain plug - a bit pricey, very well made, saves loads and loads of mess, especially if you have a CSW with enginer undertray and anti-roll bars to help spread the oil around. Brilliant idea, brilliant investment.

Richard