Is there a fuel cut off on a TD5??

Jimbo-TD5

Right most of you know about the discovery I bought that had overheated.

Ive tried getting it running today, and I have a slight problem, The engine will turn over fine, but it doesnt seem to be getting diesel. I know the common way of checking this is by cracking off an injector, but obviously on a TD5 the injectors are hidden under the rocker cover so this is not an option, what Im beginning to think though is, is there a cut off on a TD5 that may have kicked in?? its had a new fuel pump fitted previous to me buying it, and this kicks in when you put the key in the ignition, stays on for about 30seconds then cuts off. Is this possibly the fault??

thanks for any help!

That is normal behaviour for a Td5 fuel pump - it should go off after about 30 sec if the engine isn't started. It doesn't mean that the pump isn't the problem as it needs to be producing 58psi as well as a hum :)

and if a injector seal has gone the compresion of the engine can just push the diesel back and i think there is a cut off but i think it just cuts power to the fuel pump the reset is on the n/s bulkhead you can make the pump run longer (purge) but turning the ignition on and pressing the accelerator 5 times (engine light should flash) but failing this i think you need to test the fuel pressure as said could be a good idea to have a look at the injector loom under the rocker cover to see if its been damaged buy the overheating !!good luck!!

well I had another go today, and theres fuel getting to the rail that feeds the injectors, but not into the engine!! theres no smoke coming out of the exhaust either so its not entering the cylinders. im wondering now whether theres something stopping the injectors, such as immobiliser or something?? ive noticed a few times when locking it, it beeps when it locks, so could it point to the immobiliser kicking in??

There's an inertia switch on a TD5. Not sure about the DII, but in Defenders it's located under the hoog, in the middle against the bulkhead.

I don't think it's the immobiliser, that would prevent the engine from turning over all together. And as for the fuel pump, my TD5 will happily start, run and drive without a working fuel pump, be it with only 30hp or so...

If you want to check the fuel pump, turn the car on then unscrew the fuel filter.

If fuel spurts out all over the place under preasure then the pump is ok. If you just get a mild trickle then the fuel pump is dead.

Been there, been stranded 160miles from "home". Luckily I wasnt in a rush to go anywhere and I was in the UK.

Advice to anyone with a 200,000km or more car, change it before it dies !!!

Its a 30 min job to change it, once you empty the boot!

Cheers

Simon

PS : Oh, and for what its worth, on my LHD TD5 , the inertia switch is just behind the injector-meets-engine area, bolted to the bulk head.

There's an inertia switch on a TD5. Not sure about the DII, but in Defenders it's located under the hoog, in the middle against the bulkhead.

I don't think it's the immobiliser, that would prevent the engine from turning over all together. And as for the fuel pump, my TD5 will happily start, run and drive without a working fuel pump, be it with only 30hp or so...