Replacement seats for my 110 rear bench

I finally got around to fitting the rear seats from a Renault Scenic.

car%20seats%20005.jpg

I purchased a full set of three seats, and removed the standard low back seats, The Scenic seats are a good fit to the LR frames and bold on to U channels. The new seats tilt, fold, recline, and slide...

Im going to fit a three point seatbelt for the middle seat (not using Scenic seatbelts that normally attach to seats, going to keep extsting mountings for LR belts and have a centre bracket made up that secures centre belt..

The kids love the new seats and Ive had to mode the Special vehicles ex plod dog guard/exquipment box back into the load area by 6 inches.

I did think of getting a pair of front seats to match, but they are too tall, (std LR seat is 6" from top of foam to top of runners, Scenic is 13" as they have a cubby box under the seats) sadly the mechanism is not easy to change around, so we can put that on hold.

When I take the seats out of the 110 for finally fitting and painting of brackets etc, Ill get some photos and post them up.

Here is another set for sale in the north of the UK Ebay linky

I finally got around to fitting the rear seats from a Renault Scenic.

Im going to fit a three point seatbelt for the middle seat (not using Scenic seatbelts that normally attach to seats, going to keep extsting mountings for LR belts and have a centre bracket made up that secures centre belt..

:rolleyes:

RE DC conversion, yes I think these will be too far back, they have a first position catch which is probably already too far back.

Re: height, I am 6'5" and could sit in the outer seats OK, centre seat has slightly reduced headroom.

RE centre belt, I did have a 3 point kit from Securon, and may still use that, the current plan is to use two large existing bolt holes per side, make a 'substantial bracket' that goes behind the seats (from one side to another) and either use existing securon 3point lap replacement, or use a new outer seatbelt and mount the reel on the bracket. This needs to be a) safe, b: safe and c: SAFE as well as being suitable to pass an SVA type test (these are my kids going in the back - overengineering is the name of the day).

I need to get plates made up where the LR brakets go into the 2nd row seatbox (ie outside) to re-enforce, and will probably bolt all three together and put a secure around the centre seat to body 'leg' I dont need the seats to tilt so this whould be more secure than the std LR product.

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought some scenic seats to do as you have done in the back of a 110, any chance of a few pics as to how you have fixed them underneath, or have you used the excisting scenic seat clamps which clip on to tubeing, ie like they fitted in scenics.

I have bought some scenic seats to do as you have done in the back of a 110, any chance of a few pics as to how you have fixed them underneath, or have you used the excisting scenic seat clamps which clip on to tubeing, ie like they fitted in scenics.

Ill take a couple of snaps tomorrow if I can, they are now bolted in. Basically remove the two quick release 'plungers' at the back of the seat (two large silver rivets) and also remove the cross brace at the front which is spotwelded onto the frame.

Pull the seat frame as far forward as you can get, and then a bit more, you will feel underneath where the front brace was removed, there are two holes, note their position and drill the hole all the way through.

You can use the newly drilled holes and two of the rivet holes from the back to line up the frame and drill 4x 8mm holes.

Cut off the seat frame brackets so just leave a pad.

Bolt the seat frames to the seats...

Easier when I show you photos.

Your welcome to pop down to the other end of Kent to see for yourself...

Do you reckon that the rear main seats would be wide enough to replace the front defender seats, with a bit of adaptibility.

I will send you a pm about coming down to see the seats, Cheers

OK here are a few photos this morning..

Wendy%20seats%20001.jpg

This is them installed, I forgot to say earlier that the LR seats are hinged at the front, and on a catch at the side (well the 2002 MY on were) this meant that they would not tip forward. I have removed these catches to give more room and get rid of any sharp edges.

These seats cannot do that, [attach to the sides] so I have beefed up the outer supports with M8 bolts and steel backing strips in the wheel arches, and will bolt the two outer seats to each support and also to the centre seat. The centre seat will have a metal strap/U bolt into the floor which will also have a steel backing plate this will stop the seats tipping forward.

Wendy%20seats%20002.JPG

Wendy%20seats%20005.JPG

Once they are all in place Im going to get a bracket/ bar fabricated that goes across the back of the seats (bolted in place where the old load area bench seat belts were) this should allow the centre seat to have a 3 point belt.

My aim is to make the seats and fittings more secure than the factory fit versions so Ill have no probs about my or others kids going in there.

I will be using original seat belt fittings for outer seats, and might even see about getting SVA for centre seat (ill call in to local test centre for advice).

IMHO the Scenic 2nd row outer seats would fit into the space for front Defender seats with suitable frame, however they are a little narrow in the 'seat' for my bum !

• 8 months later...

Quite possibly.

I removed the Renault quick release fittings and then bolted the seats to LR frames.

One reason for choosing the Scenic II seats was that we had one in the family and could chek (although wife did appear at the wrong time when I had her seats in a trial fit in 110 !!)

Scenic seats are almost perfect dimensions for the 110.

I have now got the seats in, and decided that a new set of mats to celebrate was called for!

wendy%20mats%20and%20seats%20003.JPG

I just need to make quality frame to acept the centre seatbelt, then refit the full height dog guard and we are looking good !

Nice job, what did you use for your new mats? where did you get it from?

Cheers, Jason.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Nick The Orange,

Really loved seeing your tidy work here! Would appreciate if you could give us your opinion and advice on Rear seating for a our own Defender 110 1987.... We plan to fit the same scenic seats for middle row however we are unsure what we can fit in the very rear.... Do you think an additional second middle row of scenic seats could be possible for the rear 3rd row ( to seat 6 in the back)? Would make us very happy if it was possible... alternatively we are thinking of two additional rear scenic seats or two fold up discovery seats. Another alternative we saw but can not source is 4 x Exterior Trim Tip Up Seats for the rear. Trying to do all we can for passenger comfort :D

Any wisdom you have would be awesome!

Many Thanks,

Jen

post-102207-0-60032300-1412185544_thumb.jpg

post-102207-0-50783400-1412185686_thumb.jpg