'Lumpy' power steering...

Rick the Spud

hi guys

i've noticed my power steering getting worse. first it was just a bit lumpy, now it's got some really stiff spots when u turn the wheel, a bit of a whine coming from the power steering pump (i think!), and when i check the PAS fluid, it's all frothy!

i straightened the front steering bar the other day (cos it was properly bent after some abuse)

and thought that was the cause, but it wasn't.

any ideas?

Probably just air in the system, top up the reservoir, jack up front axle and turn lock to lock a few times -normally fixes it.

Frothy fluid is pretty normal BTW, especially if air in in the system.

The other culprit is seized up Uniiversal Joints in the steering linkage - especially if you have been playing in water. Dowse them in WD40, and work the steering left to right, and see if it loosens up at all. The proper fix is to fin new UJ's but the WD40 trick should loosen it all up.

Mark

UJ's on the shaft into the box or seized steering ball joints on the main linkages - the latter is usually just stiff steering, but seized UJ's make it lumpy because it creates "tight spots" as you turn the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

If the ball joints on the draglink/track rod were seized it almost certainly means they have got water in them at some point, and you should plan on replacing them sooner rather than later. Ball joints letting go in your steering isn't fun at all, best case you end up with extremely brown underwear and worse case you end up wrapped round an oncoming lorry and somewhat dead.