Britpart - The good and the bad

Tetsu0san

There always seems to be someone (including me) who only has bad things to say about Britpart stuff. I am sure this can't be the case with all their stuff so I just thought it might be a good idea to get some sort of percentage as to good vs bad with regards to Britpart products.

So, if you want to share your experience with any Britpart stuff, either good or bad (and I am sure there are some good; I hope it can't be all bad) then we can all get a good idea about what their products are like and if it's worth trying it.

My exprerience was a Disco 1 300Tdi radiator that was too big to fit. Bad experience.

You?

In reply to your radiator, mine was recored while I waited and was "too big", wouldn't fit back into channels top and bottom, same rad, but must of expaned slightly, sharp fixed with 17stone "press" standing on top. forgive me if this wasn't your problem. just thought I'd share.

Brian

Off memory:

Series-type underseat fuel tank, galvanised - GOOD.

Water pump for 2.25 Petrol - So far GOOD.

Brake Cylinders - BAD.

Series Lights - BAD.

Hub Seal - BAD.

Radiator - OKAY (could be better but works and fits).

300 tdi clutch kit

clutch lasted 3 weeks the heavey duty release arm still fitted and working also i used a bush that fits in the fly wheel (cant remember the propper name) thats works fine, the clutch may have failed due to the bush going before

Off memory:

Series-type underseat fuel tank, galvanised - GOOD.

Water pump for 2.25 Petrol - So far GOOD.

Brake Cylinders - BAD.

Series Lights - BAD.

Hub Seal - BAD.

Radiator - OKAY (could be better but works and fits).

i didnt realise the fuel tanks were galvanised, when i got mine it was in a very thin satin black paint finish but didnt scrape it off to see if it was galvanised underneath, what finish did yours come in? would be nice to think mnes galvanised :P

I have to say though in all seriousness, i've not had a single part that hasn't required modification or smacking with a hammer to fit/work. I avoid their parts if at all possible.

Don't even think about buying a freelander window regulator, they're 3 inches too short, yes a whole 3 inches

Dave

i didnt realise the fuel tanks were galvanised, when i got mine it was in a very thin satin black paint finish but didnt scrape it off to see if it was galvanised underneath, what finish did yours come in? would be nice to think mnes galvanised :P

Yep, mine came in that finish but flaked off after I painted it with chassis paint. Definitely galvanised! :)

Guest noggy

Ive bought loads of britpart items, all of which has been good.

Ive bought a set of wipac replacement lights tho... all of which the screw holes where in the wrong place... the bullet connectors seemed to be flimsy and cheap.... and the bulb contact bits fell out of all 8 lamps!

waterpump for 300Tdi - lasted 11 days

hub seals - so carp they didn't even fit

swivel housing bearings - pretty carp

fuel tank - alright

although i don't own a landy at the moment, if and when I buy another i'll be avoiding Britpart like the plague....

I have NEVER had a good experience with Britpart products, which is why I never buy anything made/supplied by them. I also never extend the parts guarantee on them if the customer supplies them (labour only in those cases).

If you've got a leaky wheel cylinder, then you will need to strip out, remove shoes and cylinder, clean-up the backplate, etc, Fit new (Britpart?) cylinder and new shoes,and then bleed and reassemble. If the cylinder then fails (and I've experienced this myself), you then need to replace the cylinder and shoes again, clean-up again, and bleed/re-assemble yet again. Taking the 'risk' is definitely a no-brainer when you consider there are as cheap, good quality parts out there that are most likely going to work.

Wheel cylinder that leaked immediately after being fitted.

Wheel cylinder that wasn't threaded for the brake pipe.

Water pump bearing that wore out in less than a week.

It's just not worth my time/risk to fit Britpart components - it's most likely going to be a waste of my time, customers faith in the vehicle, my reputation.

Les.

• Like 1

Brake master cylinder for Series III - whilst bleeding the seals folded inside out and the pedal went to the floor -replaced with genuine.

Oil pump for Series III 2.25 - Made so much noise (grinding, clattering through the base of the dizzy) that I thought the main bearings had lunched themselves, or I had done something wrong when reassembling the engine. Strippped everything out, camshaft, dizzy, head off, pistons out (I'd already done this once!). Put it back together only for the noise to still be there. Swapped oil pump out for the original one which was worn and then it was as smooth as a wet baby pig. Turning the 'new' oil pump by hand it grated and graunched no wonder it was noisy wwhen fitted. Replacement pump sent by Paddocks, fitted it, same noise :angry2:

Wheel cylinders -leaked on fitting.

All in all cost me about 4 days work, plus gasket and postage costs of course. Paddocks were good about it, but I won't touch anything safety or bearing/engine wise from Britpart again.

*some* thinsg have been OK, I just don't remember them as you only seem to remember bad stuff, don't you :s

One thing to bear in mind is that Britpart will supply OEM parts on request (not sure how big their range is but I know some is available) so as "a parts supplier" (as opposed to a parts manufacturer) they are probably no better or worse than anybody else - you just need to ask for the bits you want i.e. OEM branded not own-brand.

When it comes to rubbish own-brand parts I think most of the aftermarket guys have some skeletons in their closet - Allmakes and County certainly do!

Recent quote from supplier - "We didn't get you a Britpart one 'cos we don't want it to come back. We wouldn't supply Britpart anyway without asking first"

Makes you wonder really, but most Britpart stuff I've had has generally been as good as BM, Allmakes, etc. :blink:

V8 oil pump drive gear - wouldn't even fit into the housing because the gear was pressed onto the shaft VERY wonky. Sent it back for a refund.

I ended up getting one from Turner Engineering as they are close to me. Their part was the same price as the Britpart one but actually fitted and worked. Decent stuff isn't always expensive!

RRC exhaust front pipes - horrendous weld quality, and had to be cut and re-welded to make them fit.

I'm learning, slowly.....

BAD- defender clutch master failed after 2 months, with pedal operating at differing levels which made traffic driving "interesting". Dodgy poor threaded ally metal cap made checking level a nightmare, now have a branded one with a nice plastic cap which screws back on and off properly.

BAD- britpart turret ring spacer thingys all the sring washers split and fell out.

GOOD - Rear springs are good firm springs.

GOOD- 110 Fuel tank and cradle although had to crimp a pipe closed which was "extra"

BAD - Steering damper lasted 6 months before the rubbers perished.

BAD - Their series wipac lights which were absolute pants as mentioned before.

GOOD - 300 tdi defender rad

BAD- Their engine/gearbox mounts lasted 6 months, before cracking/perishing.

As mentioned I would now not trust safety critical or time consuming parts, bearings bushes driveline or brake/clutch components. O.K for body/trim and general parts which are easy to get to.

Pete

just remembered the drop arm ball joint kit i fitted last weekend, the bottom cup looked okay, not great but fitted, the ball itself not too bad but the upper cup had been drilled completely off centre, no way was i fitting that, left the vehicle useless for 4 days while waiting for parts.

oh, and 2.25 petrol temperature sender, reads very hot, i spent hours flushing the radiator, checking the thermostat etc, replaced the sender with genuine, problem solved.

I don't really care that i have to replace the parts, it's not usually that difficult, it's the time spent pissing around trying to work out what's wrong that annoys me.

Dave

Well, last year my 110 was burnt right down one side, so a respray and re-trim down the complete o/s was needed. I used a lot of Britpart stuff, trim items, door handles, window seals, and most were GOOD. Some items needed slight trimming to get a good fit, but that could be equally down to OE build 'tolerances'.

I also fitted a water pump (200TDi Def spec), the bearing was noisy and had play in it after 6,000 miles. It didn't leak, but I changed it before it got chance to. BAD

Lift pump fitted with the engine. Had failed within 2,000 miles. BAD Fitted genuine, no further probs.

Err, what else? Springs and turrets, all still ok after 6,000 miles. GOOD

So my opinion is, Britpart stuff is ok as long as it doesn't have moving parts!

I found an old thread on here about heavy duty steering bars - and a lot of people said they had Britpart ones which were excellent...

Yep, I had them, the bars were excellent... unlike the carp ball joints that came with them.

We use alot o britpart stock aswell as other suppliers. We often find thats is only through experience that we know which is good or bad. Very often its found some parts are just OE land rover reboxed. Like with most things in life it seems you get what you pay for. Think its certainly fair to say that britpart are no worse than any of the others, allmakes, bearmac etc. Normaly somebody elses parts reboxed.

Various bits of trim/inner wings/sills for series: GOOD.

Series brake shoes: GOOD (with some trimming to get them in the drums)

Series brake/clutch flexihoses: GOOD (so far....)

Disco front propshaft: GOOD (except for the UJ's)

Disco wheel bearings: BAD (1500 miles...)

Disco swivel bearings: BAD (1500 miles...)

Track rod ends (both series and disco): BAD (don't last long!)

UJs: BAD (let's not go there...)

I quickly learnt that anything 'complicated' by Britpart is more than likely to be wrong. I don't buy anything with any moving parts from them any more.

I'm sure I've forgotten a few but variously:

Wiper wheelboxes - BAD (gear stripped the spindle)

Oil filler cap - BAD (it's a really coarse thread but they managed to make it so poorly it wouldn't even screw in)

Series lights - BAD (plastic melted & bulbs fell out within a mile)

Indicator switch - BAD

Bearings - BAD

Oil seals - BAD

Clutch release bearing - NAFF (wasn't in long enough to fail but was clearly made much more cheaply than the genuine one that replaced it)

HT leads - BAD

Dizzy cap / rotor - BAD

Windscreen wipers - RUBBISH

Wing mirrors - BAD (arms made of cheese so the thread strips instantly)

Had other bits (usually when Paddocks ignore me and send Britpart when I tell them not to) and without fail they've been obviously cr*p, although if it turns up in a Britpart box I won't fit it so not much else has failed as it's mostly been sent straight back or filed in the round file.

Another Britpart Radiator... ordered off ebay because it looked like it wasn't a britpart job. When it arrived in the Britpart box I just knew things were going to to wrong. Sure enough the Rad was too tall to fit in the bracket, and when I did finally force it in by taking the rubber support bushes out, the bolts that hold the frame together were rubbing on the rad side tank.... not good.

Britpart rock sliders for the 110... had to grind the brackets off and reweld them in the correct place.

When I was "in the trade" we had the Britpart salesman in regularly asking why we didn't but must of their kit. The honest answer was that it was rubbish. Anything mechanical could be guarenteed to fail.

However as has been mentioned, sometime you'd get rebranded Genguine LR kit at the britpart price. For example I get a set of lightguards for my Freelander. They arrived in a Britpart box, and I paid britpat prices... opened up and all was wrapped in Land Rover packaging.

Dan :)