Wiper Woes ...again....

Hi All,

In need of some expert advice because I'm scratching my head here trying to workout whats wrong.

On the way down to Devon last week the front wipers on my 110 1998 decided they wouldn't switch off. They go the normal and 'fast' speeds but won't go intermittent and won't stop - I have to pull the fuse to get them to stop. Luckily I'd passed Devon 4x4 on the way down so after a couple of calls went up there to collect a new 'parking sensor' switch that attaches to the side of the wiper motor. Unfortunatley this didn't fix the problem. So, I thought maybe it's the the actual stalk on the steering binnacle ... Devon4x4 had one in stock so I changed that whilst there - same issue.

Rang Paddocks and ordered a new wiper motor which I have just fitted and same problem. Getting expensive now - nearly £100 so far.

Wiring looks fine - is there a relay on a 1998 110 ? I don't think there is but if someone knows different and can point me to it I'd be very happy. Otherwise does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the problem?

This thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...9&hl=520160 dealt with my previous wiper issues...

cheers

Gavin

I'm sorry, all our experts are busy - will I do?

Refering to the dagram below:

post-8420-1248609945_thumb.png

(Not a landrover diagram, but it'll do and will save me drawing it)

You've changed the wiper switch, the wiper motor assembly and the park switch - there's only the wiring left!

To make this circuit behave as described, the HI, LOW and Park connections must all be live: this could be because:

a) the connections (53a and 31) to the park switch are reversed - disconnecting is will allow you to turn the wipers off but they won't park

b) the feed to 53e on the wiper switch is live (connected incorrectly)

When you say the intermittent doesn't work, is it actually continuous normal speed or does nothing happen at all?

Thank you for leaving a message ... :)

I'm sorry, all our experts are busy - will I do?

Refering to the dagram below:

post-8420-1248609945_thumb.png

(Not a landrover diagram, but it'll do and will save me drawing it)

You've changed the wiper switch, the wiper motor assembly and the park switch - there's only the wiring left!

To make this circuit behave as described, the HI, LOW and Park connections must all be live: this could be because:

a) the connections (53a and 31) to the park switch are reversed - disconnecting is will allow you to turn the wipers off but they won't park

b) the feed to 53e on the wiper switch is live (connected incorrectly)

When you say the intermittent doesn't work, is it actually continuous normal speed or does nothing happen at all?

Thank you for leaving a message ... :)

Thanks Errol209 - much appreciated. So no relay then?

I've just put all the original parts back on and to my relief (!) same issue.

Intermittent setting just sweeps the wipers across the screen as per normal setting.

cheers

Gavin

Thanks Errol209 - much appreciated. So no relay then?

Gavin- I doubt it, but my 90 has knife switches ...

I've just put all the original parts back on and to my relief (!) same issue.

Good, means its 100% not you.

Intermittent setting just sweeps the wipers across the screen as per normal setting.

Aha, I think that proves it - the wires on the park switch are wrong way round, meaning the motor just goes round and round all the time.

Now we need someone with a circuit diagram for your car ...

Errol209

.. what it doesn't explain is why it worked and then stopped working (unless you have one of those pesky wiring imps :P )

So i'm beginning to think that it is wring, but of the chaffed / shorting sort. Have you checked it all (its an arse to do, sorry)

Gavin- I doubt it, but my 90 has knife switches ...

Good, means its 100% not you.

Aha, I think that proves it - the wires on the park switch are wrong way round, meaning the motor just goes round and round all the time.

Errol209

Errol209,

"Now we need someone with a circuit diagram for your car ..." lol

I've pulled the blue cable from the parking switch off (front the body of the motor) and the wipers duly stop. 'Electircary' and me are not the best so I'm not sure how to solve this now. I've just removed dashboard housing above the steering wheel and all seems in place and connected. No loose wires. I've traced the cable from the stalk into the loom and as far as I can see this looks Ok to. As the fault just happened whilst driving I don't understand how the wires can be the wrong way around as nothing was touched until I fitted the new parking switch.

confused now.. :blink:

cheers

Gavin

Errol209,

"Now we need someone with a circuit diagram for your car ..." lol

What we really need is to know which wire is whjch, as the WSM is silent on the subject...

pulled the blue cable from the parking switch off (front the body of the motor) and the wipers duly stop.

Hmm, Could you do the same for the others? We can work it out. Are there five wires, Green, brown/light green, blue/lightgreen, red/lightgreen, black, and was the blue cable actually the blue/lightgreen one?

As the fault just happened whilst driving I don't understand how the wires can be the wrong way around as nothing was touched until I fitted the new parking switch.

confused now.. :blink:

Me too. :huh: but no matter - it worked once, it will work again :P

on your vehicle which is fitted with intermittent wipe system, behind the fusebox [metal board] is a red relay AMR2341 this one change it for a known good one & correct operation should be restored, wiper plug into park switch will only fit one way.

I don't understand how the wires can be the wrong way around as nothing was touched until I fitted the new parking switch.

did you make a note of which terminal these wires went too, I suspect not.

try reconnecting the park switch as shown on this photo

from top of photo

blue wire

yellow wire

red wire

& earth lead from wiper motor spade terminal tag body to clamp screw on bulkhead.

post-20-1248619206_thumb.jpg

on your vehicle which is fitted with intermittent wipe system, behind the fusebox [metal board] is a red relay AMR2341 this one change it for a known good one & correct operation should be restored, wiper plug into park switch will only fit one way.

did you make a note of which terminal these wires went too, I suspect not.

try reconnecting the park switch as shown on this photo

from top of photo

blue wire

yellow wire

red wire

& earth lead from wiper motor spade terminal tag body to clamp screw on bulkhead.

Western,

Yes, terminal locations noted before and checked after - all OK.

Your spot on with the relay though :)

Unplugged it and took off the red cover to reveal about an inch of water in it :( Quite how it got in there is a mystery as the area around it is bone dry. The rain must of found it's way in there whilst driving down to Devon at motorway speeds.

I've dried it all out with Mrs Spooners hairdryer :huh: and reassembled it - all working 100% now.

Thanks to you and Errol209 this afternoon for your help. Paypal donation duly made in recognition of this sites status of the best one around for advice and general usefullness :)

...now where that returns process for Paddocks.....

cheers

Gavin

^^^^ wot Western said, glad it's sorted!

(when I said

I actually meant Western, btw; my hero :blush: )

Its these new fangled cars. Intermittent wipe? You're lucky to have wipers. In my 109 days I had to lean out and lick 't windscreen dry with us tongue ...

^^^^ wot Western said, glad it's sorted!

(when I said

I actually meant Western, btw; my hero :blush: )

Its these new fangled cars. Intermittent wipe? You're lucky to have wipers. In my 109 days I had to lean out and lick 't windscreen dry with us tongue ...

:rofl: why do I believe that :rolleyes:

my 110 didn't have intermittent when I bought it, added the system myself using genuine parts, my thread is in the tech archive electrical section.