Auto box warning light?

jil6939

First of i shall appologise for to much info but it is better than not enough. I have a warning light that comes on the dash that is the low brake fluid /handbrake light combined with a small light above it that looks like a temp gauge with an ! mark. I assume this to be the gearbox temp warning light? The car was a 300tdi Discovery on an L plate and is running a ZF4HP22 auto box coupled to a LT230/1.6 Transfer box and an underdrive all rebuilt by Dave. The auto box is cooled through a Laminova oil to water cooler fitted just after the cab heater. The engine is an ACR challenge spec 300tdi and the radiator is in the back with an electric cooling fan.I thought that the temp sensor for the auto box had been removed as i thought it was in the origional front mounted oil cooler pipes but perhaps that was for something else? The overheat light has been coming on recently and i personally do not believe it is true as at the last event it came on straight after the start when the car had only been running for 3-4mins and had done no work. Running up the engine cooling fans so that the temp gauge sits in the blue cold band all day stops the warning light from coming on and i believe the water temp gauge to be correct as this makes the cab heater run almost cold. I have just looked in the manual and it looks to me like the car also has a Transfer box temp sensor fitted but if so this would have no connection to the fact i can put the warning light out by over cooling the engine? Would it? Could it be that some debris has got into the Laminova and is restricting flow or is there a temp sensor that is faulty on the auto and if so where is it fitted?. What was the sensor that i took off the front from the cooler pipes then? Any other thoughts to be taken on board?

the exclamation mark ! in the gearwheel is the gearbox temp warning, Note-- on some vehicles the bulb will light as a bulb check during start & then go out, if it lights while driving reduce speed, if it stays on stop & don't drive until it has gone out to allow the fluid to cool down

the other for low fluid/parkbrake should be on with parkbrake on, then go out when parkbrake is released, if it comes on while driving, stop & check for leaks/fault

maybe the previous owner has used the gearbox temp light as a light for another circuit

refer to info below [taken from Disco 300Tdi owners handbook]

post-20-1249674562_thumb.jpg

post-20-1249674593_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replys. The hand brake switch etc works fine and is in the cab at the bottom of the ratchet. It looks like the temp light comes on in conjunction with the brake stop light which makes sense as it is telling you to stop. Does anyone know where the temp sensor is on the auto box as it looks like it must be faulty. I thought i had removed it along with the front oil cooler pipe.

Western thanks for the pics as that helps. It looks to me like i was correct in remembering that i had removed the auto sender so that only leaves the Transfer sender. The bad news is that it now makes no sense to me as to why i can over cool the engine and make the Transferbox cool down??? Heat sink from the auto perhaps?? I do tend to leave the Underdrive in at all times and just shift the Transfer from high to low and i am aware that the Underdrive creates a lot of heat but not as quick as the last event thats for sure. Where is young Mr Ashcroft as i would like to hear his thoughts on this?

Boothy you may notice the post time on this. That is because i cannot sleep anymore due to your nasty comments...... You have ruined my life :P