Centre difflock on D2

sweety

This has prob been covered before so sorry if i'm repeating it. I've heard that some D2's had a spigot fitted to the transfer box for centre difflock but i'm not sure where to look for it. If it is there would it be poss to use the a D1's set up to get it working :unsure: I had a look on ashcrofts site (I think it was)but the £200 price tag seemed a bit steep for my liking so was wondering if there is another way of doing it

Yes some did ..

Firstly look on the top of the transfer box as far forward as you can go and to the drivers side. If there is a pin with 2 flats and a screw thread on top then you are in luck. This is the place that the diff lock selector attaches to.

I'm no expert with disco's but IIRC D1's were 200tdi's ??? with an LT77 gearbox ?? if so then the diff lock selector will be different as they fix to the gearbox. The D2 presuming that its got an R380 gearbox will be the same on all the later disco's within reason. Thus pay ashcrofts £200 and save yourself loads of hassle or find a landrover scrap yard.

Also the clever electronics on the D2 turn off the Traction Control when you engage centre diff lock. AFAIK the Ashcroft kit keeps the TC turned on while in diff lock, which is a massive benefit. You'll even have a diff lock warning light on your dash.

It would be major hassle to use the D1 system, with custom brackets required, modifications to the shifter and tunnel/trim.

Someone else will confirm, but I think the 1999 - 2002 cars have the diff lock mech still in the gearbox, then no diff lock 2002 - 2004, and finally actual manual diff lock was reinstated in 2004.

The cheap skate alternative is to lie under your D2 and use a spanner to engage the diff lock manually. Apparently if you do this with the ignition off, then start the car then you'll fool the system into keeping the TC on, but I'm yet to give this a try.

Having had a good look at this on my own....

If the spigot is there then you can make or fit a mechanical linkage. It has the flats as described and I think an 8mm spanner will turn it.

So step 1 is to locate and confirm that is it.

Now, you could just climb under and activate when needed, but on the V8 the exhaust will almost certainly burn you :). On top of that it will be messy and generally a PITA.

If you start the car with diff lock in then it will disable TC, unless you cut a wire on the SLABS input.

So....

1) get the cable operated diff lock and fit it. pros are that it is the right set up. cons is cost, finding one and fitting.

2) fit a rod up into the cab which you can turn. pros - easy. cons - it will come up in the wrong place and will be a rigid link from body to transferbox.

3) cable operated, like a choke or bonnet release type cable. You make up a simple bracket and it works kind of like a bicycle brake. pros: cheap, fairly easy, can route where you want. cons - will still a bit heath robinson with a handle appearing on the centre console.

4) electric actuator - basically the same as 3 but can be made to look neater in the cab. pros - good looking, not too difficult. cons - the actuator is exposed to all the horrible stuff and will probably fail.

I've seen pictures of all 4, and I reckon 3 is the best option if you can't cheaply do 1. I've heard nothing good about the electric actuator, so if you plan on having it window deep in mud I wouldn't give much for the lifespan of the thing.

HTH

For what it's worth - I will be doing 3 at some point.

Also the clever electronics on the D2 turn off the Traction Control when you engage centre diff lock. AFAIK the Ashcroft kit keeps the TC turned on while in diff lock, which is a massive benefit. You'll even have a diff lock warning light on your dash.

It would be major hassle to use the D1 system, with custom brackets required, modifications to the shifter and tunnel/trim.

Someone else will confirm, but I think the 1999 - 2002 cars have the diff lock mech still in the gearbox, then no diff lock 2002 - 2004, and finally actual manual diff lock was reinstated in 2004.

The cheap skate alternative is to lie under your D2 and use a spanner to engage the diff lock manually. Apparently if you do this with the ignition off, then start the car then you'll fool the system into keeping the TC on, but I'm yet to give this a try.

From early 2001 the diff lock mechanism was dropped until 2004.

With a pre 2001 Disco 2 , the difflock warning light is installed operational . That is if the diff is locked , even with a 10 mm spanner , the light will indicate.

With these models , if the car is started before the diff is locked , TC will stay operational. Otherwise it will trip and the 3 amigos light up. They reset if the car is restarted with the diff unlocked.

It is a useful function being able to trip the TC if required. General consensus in South Africa is that TC is a serious no-no in sand - but I guess not much of that in the UK ?

Dave