'96 manual 300TDi alarm triggered hazards whilst driving

Niamh

Yesterday whilst driving through some forestry my husband's hazard lights suddenly started flashing, pulling the fuse under the bonnet stopped it for the trip.

When we got home we could hear the click from one of the relays in the AMR4886. Removong it, opening it up and closing in back together has cored the problem for now, but I wonder what caused it to trigger whist the Disco was actually being driven.

Any thoughts?

Niamh.

It happened to me once while driving on the tarmac over some repeated bumps resembling the corrugations on dirt roads.

By the way, the issue is covered in the owner's manual in 2 places.

One of them is called Alarm or Handset Difficulties and this is what is says:

"Doors unlock and hazard lights start to flash when vehicle is in motion ---> The inertia switch has been triggered. Stop the vehicle and turn the starter switch off and on again. Central door locking will be inhibited for 5 minutes. If fault continues, consult your Land Rover dealer."

Aaah! - so that's why that happened!! :rolleyes:

Hit a massive rut last year, everything cut out with just flashers blinking- ign off and on sorted it at the time thankfully .

Good on you for asking that one Niamh ;)

Cheers folks... never happened on our old 200TDi, nor has it happened on my '95 Disco.

Now how to we disable the damn thing?

Niamh.

Ours has just done the same thing, the ECU is knackerd, in our case I have already bypassed the spider so with the ECU unplugged everything works with the exception of the central locking, my plans for the weekend are to find the feed for the central locking and bypass that so we are not at the mercy of Mr Lucas's little boxes of failure.

Everything else seems fine, but if the damn sensor is so sensitive it trips on a forestry track it's going to trip far to frequently when we go anywhere for some serious fun.

So which component inside the Theft alarm unit is the inertia sensor, and how to we permanently bypass it?

Niamh.

The inertia sensor is a complex bit of electronics and you disco has one built into the alarm ECU. It sounds that your unit has go 'over sensitive' which is not unheard of with electronic componants that are powered 24/7. Unfortunately the inertia sensor cannot be adjusted or isolated by the user, the solution to your problem is drive a bit slower or replace the ECU.

I did say it could not be user isolated, but perhaps the units PCB could be modified to isolate the sensor function. So if you have a circuit diagrame of the PCB and the technical understanding give it a go and you may solve your problen :)