P38 Lock Latch Assembly - Front Door

Stopover

Had to happen just as preparing for a big trip. The door latch failed. I was sitting in the driver's seat at the time and climbing out via the passenger side, fleetingly, brought back memories of being young again!

I followed the very good advice on rangerovers.net and with the window down was able to wedge the door glass and with a long piece of welding rod poked the right bit and the door opened (lucky). The car is a 2000 year model and the directions in my workshop manual only show the earlier type of latch assembly with two electric plugs. I now know there are different latch assemblies for different models! (later ones have a single plug) but after an hour or two (it was freezing, spots of rain and a howling gale) its now sharing the kitchen table with a hot toddy.

Rather than risk the same happening again I have ordered a new one (ouch!) and when it arrives with take some pics to show it going in. The main reason for this post is to see if anyone knows what other vehicle these latch assemblies fit. On the rangerovers.com site you will see advice on removing a bracket that doesn't appear to have a function on the range rover therefor it must fit something else too! its removal will help in refitting and I wish the blooming thing hadn't been on the one I removed as it was a pain to get out - you need a calm frame of mind for this job.

FWIW, I think how easy you find fitting the latch depends on your dexterity, your ability to think in three dimensions, and small hands.

Geoff perhaps scores on all three points - I certainly don't.

On my '95 the original didn't have the extra bracket, and I noted carefully how it came out, because I classed it as 'a bit of a fiddle'. I did try to insert the new one with the extra bracket, but couldn't modify my 'insertion is the reverse of removal' method, so cut the bracket off, when it was 'easy' to replace.

If it's any comfort, I think you are correct to change the latch as soon as it fails. I'm not sure whether I admire or pity those people who take it out, clean lubricate, and re-install. Some even dismantle the thing to mess about with the microswitches. The thing is obviously worn, and after 10 years I don't see that gaining an extra year or so is worth all the messing about. I'd rather do the job once and have done with it.

I don't believe the latch fits any other vehicle; what else from the mid 90's has the lock and superlock facility?

later versions (L322) may have it, but they are a generation on, and I'm sure the latches reflect it.

Give it a couple of refit attempts, just to say you tried, then out with the hacksaw!!

Photo's will be interesting; I find that in such confined quarters that if you get the lens to give you the view you want, the flash can't see the bit you want to illuminate.

Good Luck.

PS. 'preparing for a big trip' - from the Isle of Man that must mean crossing water; rather you than me, this week!

I've done it on both passenger and driver side (LHD) and had no problem

fitting with the extra bit that seems to be unused.

Unfortunately I can't remember how to insert it again, but it is a bit of

a 3D puzzle. What I do remember is that I took off all linkages except the

one that goes to the exterior doorhandle, then fitted the others once it

was inplace.

Would come and do it for you, but I'm a bit far away.

FWIW, I think how easy you find fitting the latch depends on your dexterity, your ability to think in three dimensions, and small hands.

Geoff perhaps scores on all three points - I certainly don't.

On my '95 the original didn't have the extra bracket, and I noted carefully how it came out, because I classed it as 'a bit of a fiddle'. I did try to insert the new one with the extra bracket, but couldn't modify my 'insertion is the reverse of removal' method, so cut the bracket off, when it was 'easy' to replace.

If it's any comfort, I think you are correct to change the latch as soon as it fails. I'm not sure whether I admire or pity those people who take it out, clean lubricate, and re-install. Some even dismantle the thing to mess about with the microswitches. The thing is obviously worn, and after 10 years I don't see that gaining an extra year or so is worth all the messing about. I'd rather do the job once and have done with it.

I don't believe the latch fits any other vehicle; what else from the mid 90's has the lock and superlock facility?

later versions (L322) may have it, but they are a generation on, and I'm sure the latches reflect it.

Give it a couple of refit attempts, just to say you tried, then out with the hacksaw!!

Photo's will be interesting; I find that in such confined quarters that if you get the lens to give you the view you want, the flash can't see the bit you want to illuminate.

Good Luck.

PS. 'preparing for a big trip' - from the Isle of Man that must mean crossing water; rather you than me, this week!

The big trip (for us anyway) is Isle of Man Steam Packet to Heysham (UK) then drive to London for an overnight. Then London to Harwich to catch the Danish ferry to Esberg then drive across Denmark to Copenhagen and a bit later return! My wife is Danish. - and the car will not miss a beat!!!!!! And no we have nothing to do with that G20

I have several jobs to do before we go. The biggest is to change the front differential and engine mounts but I'm a bit worried as the weather has been foul for weeks. The Isle of Man ferry has been cancelled twice and won't be sailing tonight (severe force 9 gales and rough to severe sea state). What Cumbria has had we had it too. Whilst I am waiting for the lock part its under the car between the drissle and showers as I have to work on it outside. Oh for a lottery win and a lovely warm workshop!

You are right about the extra bracket atached to the latch assembly it's only on the later cars. Which makes me wonder why its there as it does nothing but get in the way?

Mine is a high mileage 4.6 2000 model. I found I had to undo the catch on the door handle to release the control rod. On doing this I see that the handle inards are also a bit tired so have ordered (at great expense 2 or 3 UK Pounds) a Cam Kit with new spring for that too so hopefully it should all work a treat. I have seen door latches on ebay go for eighty pounds + but decided that at that price its false economy) Have a new one for peace of mind. Island 4x4 seemed the best deal and ordering online you get free delivery and the price quoted includes the dreaded Vodka And Tonic.

I've done it on both passenger and driver side (LHD) and had no problem

fitting with the extra bit that seems to be unused.

Unfortunately I can't remember how to insert it again, but it is a bit of

a 3D puzzle. What I do remember is that I took off all linkages except the

one that goes to the exterior doorhandle, then fitted the others once it

was inplace.

Would come and do it for you, but I'm a bit far away.

Hi, Shame you are not closer. I had the same with the linkage to the door handle. On the earlier models there are just two of those green clips and no extra lever, would have been a doddle. My post to this forum have to go though a moderator so take a bit of time to get on otherwise I would have seen your post earlier. In about ten years I might be trusted?

All the replies, from obvious enthusiasts, are much appreciated.

I have relatively small hands, which undoubtedly helps, but I found it the easiest of any car door I've had to dig around inside.

Yes, you do need to remove the handle and unhook it from the lock - mine was also worn, but went back on as I hadn't bought parts for that (I did strip and clean it) and hasn't given any problems.

I have relatively small hands, which undoubtedly helps, but I found it the easiest of any car door I've had to dig around inside.

Yes, you do need to remove the handle and unhook it from the lock - mine was also worn, but went back on as I hadn't bought parts for that (I did strip and clean it) and hasn't given any problems.

Don't do what it i did 4 weeks ago. I could not get the retaining clip off the back of the key barrel cam that holds the rod going down to the central door locking mechanism, so i tried levering it off with a screwdriver.....result a broken cam on the key barrel. I have been waiting four weeks for a new door handle from LR.

Central locking mechanism cost me 140 quid, then 41 quid for a new door handle, then to top it all i ripped the speaker cone on the door card and that cost me another 20 quid. Not a job i want to do again!

Don't do what it i did 4 weeks ago. I could not get the retaining clip off the back of the key barrel cam that holds the rod going down to the central door locking mechanism, so i tried levering it off with a screwdriver.....result a broken cam on the key barrel. I have been waiting four weeks for a new door handle from LR.

Central locking mechanism cost me 140 quid, then 41 quid for a new door handle, then to top it all i ripped the speaker cone on the door card and that cost me another 20 quid. Not a job i want to do again!

OOps well, I assure you, it happens to us all! Yesderday my replacement lock mechanism arrived and although it was dark by 3.30pm I had a go at replacing it. Try as I might I had to resort to the hacksaw and removed the offending extra bracket (see post above). Went on easily after that. I found that to re-hang the door card I started at the lock end with a screwdriver to push the retaining clip over towards the window the rest clipped in OK, took about five attempts though! Although the actuator part arrived as prommissed I have yet to see the Cam Kit (different supplier - if you can call them that!) despite phone calls and promises etc, etc so just put back the outside door lock. It all works vey well now.

Have started today to replace the front diffrential. Started with the drivers side and removed the brake caliper, brake disk and back plate but could not remove the ABS sensor!!! never had this before, tried everything. Could get a good grip on it but it wouldn't budge and so the inevitable happened and it broke off at the top. Took over two hours of drilling and all sorts of things, to get it out. Well bless me someone had obviously found the outer carrier was only holding the sensor loosly, or at least this is what I think and had Araldited the whole thing in!!! Fortunately with some reeming etc I should be able to refit a new on - but it spoilt the day as I had hopped the whole job done today. Praying for similar weather tomorrow? Whoever did this bodge should have just taken out the carrier and distorted it to get a tight fit. I have done lots of these and when you havent got a new replacement that the thing to do - but Araldite or something similar, blimy !! I am dreading doing the other side in case its the same. May have to buy two new sensors, retainers and blood pressure therapy in the local, its getting expensive!!