Blind spot mirrors

You are in a LHD vehicle; are you driving in a LHD country or a RHD country? We assume you are in a RHD country, the UK, but is that assumption correct?

Where are you coming from, mirror wise in your 110? That is, what are you using now? Is the glass Flat or Convex?

Regards.

Right - to clarify, as I should have done in the first post - I currently have allegedly convex glass in standard defender mirror heads - the glass I bought from Scorpion Racing and it is *slightly* better than the standard glass, but not that good. I have a LHD vehicle, and spend most of my time in Holland, but return several times a year to the UK - in both places my mirrors are decidedly lacking in terms of showing me what is to the side/rear of the vehicle.

When driving in the UK I have a particular problem turning left or entering certain roundabouts - taking up the normal road position means I simply can't see what is coming. I suppose I am looking for additional convex mirrors to mount above/below the current ones - ideally something that could be mounted on the current mirror arms.

Gavin,

Where did you get that set-up from? Thats rather brilliant & something I quite fancy. I have looked at Halfords for the little circular & rectangular ones, and optically they seem a bit rubbish.

Could really do with a posh ser-up like that of yours.

Martin

http://www.ashtreeglass.co.uk/catalogue/index.php

Although it appears that I have Land Rover wing mirrors, they are actually LDV van ones. The convex glass seems better than the Land Rover one.

They do have BRITAX mouled into them. I would have thought they would be the same mirror...I wonder if they are different.

Cheers for that Nic.

The website is pretty rubbish though...the applications listed under Land Rover are like old Series mirrors, and nothing like the one Gavin has used in the pics in this thread.

I will fire off an email & get them to work out the product code for me. Gavin, any objections to me copying the pics in the thread to include with the email?

Martin

I got them from a friend who bought them from a place that is no closed but could be sourced from any Ashtree dealer. I had to replace the passenger side glass and after speaking to Ashtree they recommended Carlyle Bus and Coach Ltd. I imagine if you speak to them they'll be able to better help you.

You'll need a different mirror arm to hold the large mirror heads that I had and the Hercules blind spot mirror (which I also had to replace at the same time) can be sourced here

There's a range of glasses that the mirror heads can take. In the photo above I've got standards but when when replacing them I opted for convex to further improve visibility, all glass have the option of heated or non-heated. The Hercules blind spot mirror simply clamps to the main mirror head, so there's no chance it can fall off.

I'll dig the mirrors out later and try to get a part number off of them to help you with your enquiries.

The wolf mirror heads are bigger and better in some respects. I have two wolfs, and have also found several down sides. These are:

- Although unbreakable, they are still only a plastic mirror, so if used off road alot, scratch to beyond use quite quickly.

- the way they mount does wear eventually, so they go all floppy on the stalks. Every time I have then tightend them up the thread rips out.

- The design means that if you are tall (I am not but a good freind of mine struggles) the design means they cannot be angled up too high, reducing visibility.

A few things to ponder. If you can get the heads cheap, then all well and good. I know of a couple of privately owned wolfs, where the owners had gotten so fed up they replaced the heads with standard defender heads.

after driving my wifes pug 206 i'm very very pleased with the mirrors on my defender 90. Hardly any blind spots in comparison to the 206. I can hardly see when reversing with properly adjusted mirrors. The roof supports seemed to be modeled on church roof supports (too chunky) and mirrors modeled on dentists mirrors.

after driving my wifes pug 206 i'm very very pleased with the mirrors on my defender 90. Hardly any blind spots in comparison to the 206. I can hardly see when reversing with properly adjusted mirrors. The roof supports seemed to be modeled on church roof supports (too chunky) and mirrors modeled on dentists mirrors.

I second that! Having driven a mates 90HT (standard mirrors), made me realise how bad the 206 mirrors are!!