Sub Woofer Wiring

Jamest535

I have replaced my Landrover Radio with a "newer better" make. I have got a factory fitted sub on my back door, but how do i connect it to my new radio, is it the little red and black wires on a large black plug???

The new radio got to have phono plugs on them

Any ideas???

When I switched my factory fit unit for a JVC one the fitter didn't connect up the sub, so I took the head unit out when I got home and I found that there was a loose phono plug floating around that hadn't been connected to the unit, so I just plugged it into one of the phono outputs on the back of the unit - that did it for me.

Of course that won't help if you don't have the plug as part of the stereo wiring loom to start with.

Hope that's of some help though.

Same thing with the back of my stereo (L and R sub) but I'm pretty sure there was just a white phono plug tied in with the rest of the stereo wiring loom. If I can find the keys to release the stereo I'll have a look tomorrow.

Same thing with the back of my stereo (L and R sub) but I'm pretty sure there was just a white phono plug tied in with the rest of the stereo wiring loom. If I can find the keys to release the stereo I'll have a look tomorrow.

cheers, lovely job. I bet after all this my sub dont work :angry: hope it does tho. If not any ideas where to look? I haved looked on ebay nothing there. Is there any way i can test either my stereo or sub to make sure its working

james

Okay. I think I've saved myself the trouble of getting the stereo out of the car. I went in the loft and got the old stereo (which I kept in case I ever sell the car) out of the box. In the back of it is a very fetching square pink plug with a black and a red wire hanging out. The wires have obviously been cut and I imagine the reason has been that one of the car's previous owners cut them off and stuck a phono plug on the end so they could fit a different stereo.

If you're satisified that the phono plug you fitted is done right then there should be no reason that you should get no sound, whichever output you plug it into on your head unit. If I were you I'd be getting my multimeter out and checking for continuity at both the head end and on the speakers themselves. Also, make sure that the subwoofer setting is turned on and turned upon your head unit: mine was turned off by default.

As far as I recall the sub is just made up of 2 or 3 completely standard speakers once you remove the metal grille, so you would most likely be able to replace any broken ones with el-cheapo Maplin ones - unless you wanted to bling the whole thing up with one if those great-big carpeted boxes they seem to shove in the back of tricked-up Novas.

Update - it's anice day so I went out and writhed the head unit out using a couple of screwdrivers and I can confirm that I have a phono plug added by someone at some point as you will see in this pic:

wires1.jpg

And when you trace it back to the wiring loom it is attached to the red and black wires in this pic:

wires2.jpg

Those will be the same wires that have bits left in the back of my original stereo. So your phono plug should work unless the wire is broken at some other point.

For the sake of completeness - the sub phono is connected to the left of the two sub outputs on the head-unit. There is nothing connected the right one and the sound has always seemed alright to me.

• 3 weeks later...