No Stereo wiring loom.

I have no stereo loom in my 300tdi 90. I'm pretty rubish at electrics so need to know the best place to pick the live up from. I want to be able to have the stereo on with in ingnition off. Just to complecate matters, i have an earth cut off switch. Can i run an earth direct from the battery to the head unit in order to stop me losing my presets. Thanks in advance Jim.

If you want it on with the ignition off, and there is no harness in the vehicle, get some twin core cable (you can buy it from places like Vehicle Wiring Products) this has black and red cores in an overall black outer sheath, and run it back to the battery with a fuse on the positive side right next to the battery.

Thanks for the advice. Having time today with a 12v test light and the advice given, this is the conclusion i have come to. The stereo has a switched live (for the main power) which i will take off the back of the switched live from the ingnition barrel with an inline 20amp fuse.

As i have a earth cut off, i will run a separate earth from the battery direct to the unit. "Western" says this needs a fuse in case i start it with the switch off. What size should it be?

I also need to have a perminate live to keep all the presets. I think i need to run this direct from the battery, does this alsao needs a fuse?

To some people these may sound like silly questions but i find elecrics really difficult. Thanks Jim.