TD5 oil pump bolt - just to be safe

GL88

I'm shortly going to change the oil in my low (65K) mileage yr2000 TD5 Defender. While the sump is (mostly) empty it feels sensible to drop it and replace the oil pump sprocket bolt with a new properly Locktited one. If nothing else it will be one less source of paranoia when I'm on long journeys!

Question one - I've not found a 'how to' in the archive - is there one anywhere else? I have the official manual on CD but nothing beats experience.

Q2 - If all goes well, how much time should I allow?

Q3 - parts I need are presumably a new bolt, a sump gasket- anything else?

Q4 - anything important I should know?

TIA

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for those posts.

I did the job today. I found this link quite helpful http://www.discovery2.co.uk/Oil_pump_bolt.html though some of the Disco specific stuff wasn't relevant. Unfortunately I didn't read it closely enough so I've reused the crushable gasket for the rotary oil filter drain with a little sealant.

For Defender readers -

* my jack wouldn't go high enough to provide enough clearance over the diff to fully withdraw the sump); but

* removing the anti roll bar might have enabled the sump to be dropped;

I didn't have (much) difficulty keeping the sump gasket in place though it did take two attempts! On the second go I realised that putting the long bolts in first works best because that is the tricky (gearbox) end of the gasket.

The crucial oil pump sprocket bolt wasn't loose and showed signs of thread lock. I replaced it with the Land Rover part which has locking compound pre-applied.

It is a horrible messy job. With the sump off it drizzles oil until you get it back on again and even if I'd managed to fully remove the sump I suspect I'd not have been able to keep oil off the gasket. I used one of these http://www.wickes.co.uk/Tuffspot-Mixing-Tray/invt/543009 which kept the drive clean (or you can buy the same thing from Difflock for more money).

It took me three hours. Now that I've done it it would be an easy two with a better jack, better weather and more space.