What MPG are you getting...?

tjolliffe

Miles per gallon :blink: I just accept it uses fuel like no tomorrow and fill it up when it's empty (kin expensive at the moment tho :unsure: )

Same here, just fill er up and drive it with a smile :D although current petrol prices have had me take a peep at LPG kits.

Got to be V8 :P never would I venture over to the dark side :ph34r:

wel i drive my 200 tdi auto like i stole it, it's running a Les Brook stage 2 tune!!! and i get around 30 mpg...but i don't really care as the company pays for the slippery sh!t anyway....if i could get away with petrol i'd be rocking a LS1 in there

• 2 weeks later...

on a recent 900 mile round trip to germany with my supercharged l322 towing 16' trailer, averaged 17mpg, trailer empty one way 900kg on return i was happy with that!!!

last weekend 70 litres of petrol = 5 hrs maybe 15 miles all in low range on a punch hunt in my 4.6 90 not so happy with that!!

• 2 weeks later...

My 1996 4.6 P38 on petrol usually gets 14-15mph with a regular 8 mile run split 3 mile town and 5 mile 55mph.

This may sound daft, but I've just completed 2 off 220 mile journeys and on the first I was driving for economy at 55mph on cruise control getting 18mph until the last 7 miles where I increased to 75mph (got to dual carraigeway and children started moaning) - I expected the mpg to drop considerably, but instead it increased to 19mpg over that last 7 miles.

The next time I did the same journey I set the cruise control to 75mph where I could (due to traffic) and I got 22 mpg. The weather was similar (calm winds) and both were driven with the same stop/break.

With my limited mechanical knowledge I'd be guessing that the increased speeds must take the engine into it's sweet spot for better economy - my driving style will now change for this car. :D

• 4 weeks later...

I have a classic 3.9 and a 4.0 P38 both on Gas.

The classic (open loop system) generally does 1 or 2 MPG less on gas than it does on petrol. Just had my LPG serviced and averaging 18 to 19 mpg which I was very pleased about, though it really did need a service.

The P38’s are never as good as classic’s for LPG economy I tend to average 18mpg (best ever 23mpg) on petrol and 14 to 15 mpg on gas. The on board average MPG in my P38 is a little optimistic I always trip them myself.

Its well worth getting the LPG system serviced and tuned the filters do clog up.

Closed loop systems are being updated all the time so it could well worth having the software checked for the latest release.

I run a Disco 3.9 stage two spec (V8 tuner) etc lpg with megajolt. pipecraft straight through exhaust 285 muds, roll cage and am happy with 10mpg. had a job in the centre of London last night drove home about 4am warm night windows open V8 noise bouncing of all the buildings, absolutely brilliant....

Andy

ps

Oh and it goes like stink....

My 2000 P38 4.6 with about 99k on the clock varies depending on what sort of journey I'm doing. Certainly I can see (from a reset) up to 26 miles per gallon if I'm simply doing clear motorway work and on a reasonable 28 mile commute (combined local and motorway work) I tend to average out at about 19.5 over a period of a week doing nothing aside from the commute.

I did fit an ITG Maxgen Airfilter in place of the original and this seemed to improve consumption by up to 10%.

Round town it tends to be closer to 15mpg - and towing the horse trailer (laden) means the average falls to 10 to 14 (again depending on whether this is short or more sustained distance work) which I'm still quite happy with (or at least was before petrol went over the 120p per litre price.)

I still tend to think the V8 burns fuel as a function of time rather than anything else (though maybe this isn't the case if you travel at 70mph rather than 65!)

I have been reluctant to go to gas because of the up front cost, but I'm beginning to think again about this - however if it means falling from say 19 to 10 MPG for the commute then the benefit is maybe not so good. I'd be interested to know what you get after you gas yours! Keep us updated.

Thanks

Martin

My 4lt P38 is now converted to LPG and as a massive skeptic I have to say I'm very impressed.

I recon it will have paid for its self very soon have done 2500 miles over the last month in it.

I drove to PPC up north of Preston last weekend and the RR did 21 mpg all the way there and 19mpg on the way back towing the racer on the trailer sitting between 60 -70 on the way home and 80 all the way there. 270 miles each way and the round trip cost less £100 which is why I'm very happy with it. My TD5 D2 couldn't have got even close to that.

I get in a drive I never have to worry just top the gas up when it bleeps other wise I don't need to do anything its completely automatic.

I never really trusted the tip info but having just worked it out it's there and there abouts.

There are only two downers I have to fill up more regularly than I did in the Td5 disco and in the wet with a full tank of gas and full of petrol the rear end steps out on round about basically if drifts much better but the wife complains. Can't win them all

post-312-127876155328_thumb.jpg

post-312-127876157513_thumb.jpg

I agree about V8's use fuel in time not revs.

My challenge 90 would use fuel by time meening a 8 hr comp would use a full tank and a jerry can was always nr by, my racer is not the same but its very track dependant and can be between 5 and 10mpg but its 340 bhp with only 3speed box that things fuel needs are a lottery.

• 2 weeks later...

Iv got a 1988 110 V8 on carbs with a full length roofrack and 285/75 R15 mud terrains on it... that averages 12-14mpg on petrol (my UK car)

Over here in Australia I have a 1990 RRC 3.9i which has a roofrack, 2 inch lift and 265/70 R16 muddies on it...that averages 15mpg on petrol. But being an auto I dont think I tend to drive it quite as hard as the 110.

i'm with steve on this one... when it's empty fill it up and don't look at the odometer :unsure:

i drive 250miles to work and can only get 14mpg on gas in my 4.6 p38.

i've got a new cam (kent h180 as per paul@v8tuner's recomendation) and timing chain etc to fit when i get home tomorrow, then i'll see what happens to the economy (currently got 150k on it!)

G

I love my 300TDi :) - i'll not annoy you V8 disciples any further! Well, OK then....

Manual with a R380 - 33-35mpg.

Ashcroft rebuilt Auto: 29-33mpg

With horsebox - :o

Now, if someone were to tell me I could get a L322 V8 oil burner in my RRC, i'd be happy to be getting 10-12mpg for that sort of torque!

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 300TDi smile.gif - i'll not annoy you V8 disciples any further! Well, OK then....

With horsebox - ohmy.gif

Now, if someone were to tell me I could get a L322 V8 oil burner in my RRC, i'd be happy to be getting 10-12mpg for that sort of torque!

I remember that days of having a 300tdi then a td5 but I have saved myself a now fortune by switching to an LPG rangy.smile.gif

I love my 300TDi :) - i'll not annoy you V8 disciples any further! Well, OK then....

With horsebox - :o

and they smoke and have no go v8 is a way of life and how you can compare a under powered smkoe burner to a nicely tunned runing v8 is beyond me

my mpg 24 on a run 18 round town 8 on a thrash and worth every penny at the pumps and with 250 bhp easy on the ear too

My 1996 4.6 P38 on petrol usually gets 14-15mph with a regular 8 mile run split 3 mile town and 5 mile 55mph.

This may sound daft, but I've just completed 2 off 220 mile journeys and on the first I was driving for economy at 55mph on cruise control getting 18mph until the last 7 miles where I increased to 75mph (got to dual carraigeway and children started moaning) - I expected the mpg to drop considerably, but instead it increased to 19mpg over that last 7 miles.

The next time I did the same journey I set the cruise control to 75mph where I could (due to traffic) and I got 22 mpg. The weather was similar (calm winds) and both were driven with the same stop/break.

With my limited mechanical knowledge I'd be guessing that the increased speeds must take the engine into it's sweet spot for better economy - my driving style will now change for this car. :D

I have also noticed the harder you drive them the more economical they are,the other day on a long journey i returned 18 mpg.Normally around town about 10-11 mpg

Cheers RB

• 3 weeks later...

For the last 2,5 years, I've averaged 13,4 MPG on LPG on a standard '88 RRC 3.5 EFI (cath) Auto with a decent driving style (always max speed in the Netherlands - 100/120 km/h).

Lately it's improving after changing sparkplugs (smaller gap to 0,6 mm / NGK sparks) and coil. And some fidling of the mixer-screw to optimize lean/rich filling while holding the power up. Resulting around 14,5 MPG on average.

The system is OMVL 90e with traditional mixer (a bit to small-35 mm). Mind you, I've a bit larger tyres so the speed and mile-counter are now spot-on (verified with GPS) which is a difference of about 6-7%.

Strange thing happened last week, after replacing rear diskbrakes and pads en regreasing bearings I suddenly went over 15,2 MGP over a long run. Could there be so much resistence in bearings and brakes that would cause this uplift? I'll find out in the future, and need to do my front end soon.

Next year I'd like to go to megajolt or megasquirt ingition/inj. and maybe even LPi to improve overall stability and improve MPG so the actieradius improves while driving abroad on holidays.

Has anybody experience with LPI/Megasquirt?

Regards, Gerard

• 2 weeks later...

If you start asking you might be wrong situated in the V8 world, just fill up when the tank is empty. Otherwise you will discover the loonacy and go loco over it...

My only concern is always the range you get out of the car...and this is hard to determine when offroad :(