Are 200 tdi axles the same as 300 tdi axles?

Hi,

While swapping my old 19J for a 200tdi, I have been advised to swap the rear axle for a disc brake version.

Been browsing on ebay and have come across a 300 tdi rear axle, which has new discs, calipers and pads.

My question is, are 200 tdi axles the same as 300 tdi ones?

This one states that it is 24 spline, which makes no sense to me whatsoever :ph34r: Something about being more heavy duty?

Ta,

p.s. I did a search, but to no avail :(

Hope you don`t mind for borowing your topic...Can I change axles to discos? Rear discos axle is not salisbury, front is the same.

Is rear axle strong enough for fully laden 110? I`m going to Iran in september and I want to be shure the car will make it :rolleyes:

Oh... I have 2.5 petrol def, axle is from 200tdi disco. I think 200tdi and 300tdi axles are the same...

let he experts confirm.

Cheers

In terms of fitment they are the same. A 300Tdi Disco or Defender axle will bolt up in place of a 200Tdi Disco or Defender axle.

The 24 spline is the spline count on the half-shafts. 24 spline is stronger, which is good.

A rear axle off a Discovery or Range Rover Classic (or a 90) is not suitable for a 110, it is not rated for the vehicle's gross weight. The only axles suitable for these vehicles are the Salisbury as fitted to earlier vehicles or the strengthened type as fitted to later ones.

No, it's a 2 pin diff like the earlier 10 spline. The difference is in the spline count for the half shafts only, the 24 spline half shaft being stronger by virtue of increased contact area and an increase in minimum diameter of the half shaft due to smaller, more numerous splines.

HTH

Mo

No, it's a 2 pin diff like the earlier 10 spline. The difference is in the spline count for the half shafts only, the 24 spline half shaft being stronger by virtue of increased contact area and an increase in minimum diameter of the half shaft due to smaller, more numerous splines.

HTH

Mo

Ahh ok, I was under the impression all 24spline diffs were also 4-pin. My mistake.

Ok...I've put an Offer in anyway, just gotta wait to see if it gets accepted or not.

Thanks again for your help everyone...even though you have slightly confused me even more haha :P

Cheers,

.....and all V8 90 Rear diffs are 24 spline

oh...and 4 pin too

(just to help confuse some more :rofl: )

Nige

I knew this & thought it was normal.

My only excuse is I haven't had a landy for over 3 years & just back on here looking as I fancy another by winter time.

A rear axle off a Discovery or Range Rover Classic (or a 90) is not suitable for a 110, it is not rated for the vehicle's gross weight. The only axles suitable for these vehicles are the Salisbury as fitted to earlier vehicles or the strengthened type as fitted to later ones.

So the problem is in the housing of the axle? The half-shafts are the same? Diferential is strong enough?

Thanks for explanation

Diff and half-shafts are different, and stronger. The casing is also beefier and therefore stronger.

The real issue is the legality. The vehicle is plated for a certain weight and the standard Rover axle isn't rated for the same weight.

Sorry but the halfshafts are no different. all new Defenders now have the same part number for their rear halfshafts. they all leave the factory with seperate halfshaft and drive flange. gone are the days of the 'mushroom end' The casing on the post 2004MY 110's is exactly the same as a disco /90" casing, bar a different bolt pattern for the diff and a 15mm (ish) ring (which does jack for stopping an axle bending) welded on where the diff pan sits. It has a 'P38' 4 pin diff which is stronger than a 2 pin obviously. other wise its the same axle tube.

The Salisbury axle has unrivalled strength in its diff but any axle casing that has to be spread open to get the diff in and out cannot be stronger than a banjo style axle tube.

:ph34r:

Steve

I Don't know the answer to that, but it's probably down to the fact that a 2 pin diff is not able to last long shoving a bus around where as a 4 pin which also has much beefier bearing retainers can cope very well. I think Land Rover moved to salisbury axle in the early days on the long wheel base due to differential failures not bent axles.

Steve

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have a def 110 which was originally a 2.5NAD & I have recently replaced it with a Def 200tdi engine. MyI have a salisbury axle with drums only. Don't know how many splines its it. Can I upgrade to a 200tdi/300Tdi axle? Do I need to change the rear propshaft? Wish there was a bolt on disc brake kit for the salisbury axle!

[snip]

The Salisbury axle has unrivalled strength in its diff but any axle casing that has to be spread open to get the diff in and out cannot be stronger than a banjo style axle tube.

:ph34r:

Steve

I'd be donning a flame proof suit too ;)

I'd take a Sals over any Rover diff ever used/fitted to a Defender.

The heavily braced/trussed Rover rear ends have been used to replace Sals assemblies that pulled axle tubes from the centres in certain (overloaded usually) applications, but then a trussed and braced Sals would be stronger again. :P

A number of owners have replaced P38 style Rover rrear ends in late model Defenders here with Sals diffs, they were sick and tired of the constant rebuilds.

It's shame GKN and Rover down specced the D60 when they built it under license from Dana, oh, except for the centre where they at least use four sun gears rather than the standard US two pin diff.

and FWIW, 130 Sals axle tubes are beefier (thicker walled) than 110's. ie. they are the same OD, smaller ID in the tube.

130 tube = approx 8+mm wall

110 tube = approx 6mm wall

You knew someone would eventually bite, didn't you :D

I'd be donning a flame proof suit too ;)

I'd take a Sals over any Rover diff ever used/fitted to a Defender.

The heavily braced/trussed Rover rear ends have been used to replace Sals assemblies that pulled axle tubes from the centres in certain (overloaded usually) applications, but then a trussed and braced Sals would be stronger again. :P

A number of owners have replaced P38 style Rover rrear ends in late model Defenders here with Sals diffs, they were sick and tired of the constant rebuilds.

It's shame GKN and Rover down specced the D60 when they built it under license from Dana, oh, except for the centre where they at least use four sun gears rather than the standard US two pin diff.

and FWIW, 130 Sals axle tubes are beefier (thicker walled) than 110's. ie. they are the same OD, smaller ID in the tube.

130 tube = approx 8+mm wall

110 tube = approx 6mm wall

You knew someone would eventually bite, didn't you :D

I'm sorry but i disagree with you :o .

We don't often see issues with the rover style 110" axle they are at least easily repairable on a DIY basis and bracing and trussing a salisbury axle would be fairly foolish if you ever wanted to be able to service your diff unit owing to the nature of needing to spread your axle casing.

I respect other peoples opinions but i don't like the 'i'm gonna shoot you down in flames' attitude that a lot of people seem to have :angry: .

What is right and works for one person may not be right for another.

Don'y worry - i've got plenty of fire extingushers ;)

I'm sorry but i disagree with you :o .

We don't often see issues with the rover style 110" axle they are at least easily repairable on a DIY basis and bracing and trussing a salisbury axle would be fairly foolish if you ever wanted to be able to service your diff unit owing to the nature of needing to spread your axle casing.

I respect other peoples opinions but i don't like the 'i'm gonna shoot you down in flames' attitude that a lot of people seem to have :angry: .

What is right and works for one person may not be right for another.

Don'y worry - i've got plenty of fire extingushers ;)

That's OK, as I disagree with you ;)

There have been numerous problems with the P38 style Rover diff in the rear of 110 and 130's here in Oz, they really don't seem to be able to take any punishment. A number of owners have retrofitted the Sals.

As for need to spread the case, you can mostly pry the centre out with some tyre irons, it doesn't use much pre-load or take much to pop out. (and the same goes for the D60, which is beefier in the tubes, they really are heavy)