Rover V8 3.9 => 4.6

henry-john

Obviously you don't know. The 3.9 came with both 14 bolt heads (Tin gaskets) in its early years and 10 bolt heads (Composite gaskets) in its later years. The 10 bolt heads are the same as you will find on the 4.0 and the 4.6

Jesus you two, knock it off, you're boring the sh*te out of me.... :blink:

Ross

looks like the fountain of v8 knowledge that is p76 has not got a clue you stick to reading des hamil v8 books and sprouting carp and leave the correct info giving to others!

you strike me a quite a pedantic sole just itching for an argument or is it just to miss inform people?

Sounds like the one itching for an argument is you Vogue, please don't bring your carp over here from the LRO forum, I know they have had enough of it over there....... and this is a much more refined place in all honesty.

looks like the fountain of v8 knowledge that is p76 has not got a clue you stick to reading des hamil v8 books and sprouting carp and leave the correct info giving to others!

you strike me a quite a pedantic sole just itching for an argument or is it just to miss inform people?

Who is des hamil?

Who is Miss Inform and what is her first name?

• 2 weeks later...

I have ideas for conversion of my RR from 3.5=>4.6

My research shows that I'll need engine and 3.9 electric installation with a modified ECU.

ECR have made a lot of conversions like that - http://www.eastcoastrover.com/Richardson.html

you can use the 14cux injection ecu with no problems to start with. same some money on a modified ecu.

what do you mean by you coment bowie?

A 14CUX may run it OK-ish but it won't be completely right. Cheapest way to get it fueled right is probably MegaSquirt, which gives the option of EDIS which is a vast improvement over the Rover ignition system.

I wouldn't put carbs on it, you'd be throwing about 40bhp away and it'd use even more fuel.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of what has been said already is true, the 4.0 and 4.6 were majorly redesigned over the 3.9 (and 4.2).

the crank and big end journals are slightly bigger, supposeldy to make them stronger but also to generate more lubrication from the thinner oil being used.

The conn rods are longer and the pistons utterly different, the crank nose is longer to suite the new front cover, the cam sits in the same bearinsg but the nose is different, you might not make it run a dizzy.

HOWEVER, one thing has been overlooked, the interim engine (may also be called Gemini) was machined from a 4.6 block, so it CAN be machined to cross bolt it though it would have been fitted with the smaller 3.9 crank and not cross bolted from new, it is the later stronger block and if you have a serpentine 3.9 then you have all the bits more or less to bolt in a 4.6 long engine as a replacement.

You are proposing to rebuild the guts of the 4.6 into the 3.9 however and yes this will mean machining the block.

Ordinarily Engineers would say that a used block is better than a new one because it becomes stress relieved in use, but on the Rover V8 this is offset by potential damge from missuse.

So whilst it is possible I would want ot price things up before I pisked up a spanner and I'd want to be 100% sure of the 3.9 block.

• 3 months later...

My 5.0 has lasted about 60,ooo miles, not sure if it has any upgrades in it. The bit that failed seems to be the lockup in 4th, probably something to do with changing from 3rd to 4th lockup at full chat in kickdown, uphill :blink:

The later 4.6 had the same torque converter as the 3.9 I understand, the early ones did have a bigger unit but to fit it you need bits of the bigger gearbox which is also longer. This is what I want for mine, still saving for it. The bigger TC also needs new flex plate, spacer etc in the bellhousing but AFAIK the end of the cranks were always the same on both auto and manual.

Try Ashcroft's website for details.

thank you for replies...my 3.9 is starting require bit of attention. And i need to decide if i will go rebuilding route or buy a new engine. In this case it is perfect time to upgrade to 4.6. I have MS2 and edis installed with janspeed exhaust and manifolds so there should be no big problem (i hope - especially with exhaust).

• 2 weeks later...

What do you think about using 3.9 janspeed exhaust for 4.6? Will it work correctly? thank you

Well, it will it fit and gas will come out of the end. I doubt it will cause any problems. As with anything like this, it's very easy to get carried away trying to make improvements and spending a lot of money for not much actual benefit.

• 2 weeks later...

My 5.0 has flowed heads and di have stock manifolds that had been ported and matched but I had lots of probles with leaks so I fitted a stainless ports system which was fiine until the number 8 header pipe cracked due to fatigue.

Fiting it made my economy much better. I think it's a Rimmer's system, not the biggest bore I'd seen but if I were to upgrade it I'd leave the manifolds and work on the Y pipe and tailpipe.