Megasquirt iPhone logging/display

Dave W

Just an update on progress, in case it broadens the interest or triggers further possible features.

To help test the app locally I've created a simple utility for Windows XP that allows a MegaSquirt to be connected to the serial port and to allow it to be queried via any network connection available on the PC This removes the need, for testing at least, for the WiFi to RS232 hardware as a laptop or similar with WiFi can act as a bridge while testing/evaluating the phone app.

I've figured out a way of killing the engine for HFH, restarting it from the iPhone is still a work in progress :)

• 2 weeks later...

The data capture part of the app is just about complete now which, for me at least, was an important step and it's now running happily on both the simulator and my own iPhone. There's a short video of it displaying the raw data in a very rough and ready data view here...

I've figured out a way of killing the engine for HFH, restarting it from the iPhone is still a work in progress :)

THIS IS NOT A REAL SUGGESTION

Surely you can fit it with a virtual gas pedal as well then :lol:

/NOT A REAL SUGGESTION

Whilst I realise this is an iPhone/Megasquit conversation, and I have neither, I would be very interested in a TD5 (ie OBDII) + any browser type thing (as I suspect asking if anyone is considering writing a maemo5 based app is even less likely)...

Just thought I would mention it..

Mark

If I could justify the ipad I could remove almost the entire dashboard (probably need to leave the steering wheel unless the ipad was mounted on the steering boss) and just use the ipad for everything.

Surely adding a couple of relays to MS would be easy enough to get remote start and stop going?

In my experience real time displays run through web browsers tend to suck.

Quite. The HTTP protocol closes the connection after every page/data load, so that's not exactly good for performance, especially when using TCP/IP.

Now, if you could use Silverlight or Flash, it'd be a very different story, as setting up a socket (either TCP or UDP - UDP would probably do just fine, the possibility of a bit of lost data is unimportant) is easy.

But when you're going through that trouble, you can just as well write a desktop program to do it with less overhead :lol:

• 3 months later...

The data capture part of the app is just about complete now which, for me at least, was an important step and it's now running happily on both the simulator and my own iPhone. There's a short video of it displaying the raw data in a very rough and ready data view here...

How much of the work you have put in on the iPhone app could be carried over to another mobile OS like Symbian. I'm not a programmer but is it possible to use the iPhone app as a basis for creating another App for an alternative OS or are they way too different?

The code isn't really very portable to other platforms. It could be used as a basis for an app on another platform but other than ripping some of the utility and data/comms functions out of it you'd almost have to start again.

That's an old video ! This is a newer one, from last month...

The first test version of the app is expected to be completed and shipped around mid December work commitments allowing.

The code isn't really very portable to other platforms. It could be used as a basis for an app on another platform but other than ripping some of the utility and data/comms functions out of it you'd almost have to start again.

The first test version of the app is expected to be completed and shipped around mid December work commitments allowing.

Thanks Dave

Well done Dave - that looks very promising!

Are you going to write a Map editor for it?

Si

There are 3 major versions planned.

Version 1 will work with all versions of MegaSquirt and will allow you to display and log data I believe it will also work with MicroSquirt but that has yet to be tested.

Version 2 will have options to be able to modify fuel and ignition tables, I'm planning both 2D and 3D views on the tables with realtime editing/burning. It may also included limited setting changes, such as reqFuel.

Version 3 will allow you to make changes to a lot more of the settings.

At some point I hope to get access to an iPad so I can create iPad specific views and that will be introduced into the rollout, hopefully sometime between v1 and v2.

The app will be a free download from the AppStore and I'm recommending an RS232-WiFi adaptor from RealNetworks because I know they work, they're cheap compared to most and available worldwide. (RN-134 is the module I am currently using).

wow, nice work dave.

will it work with megajolt too?

I've not looked at MegaJolt, no idea if it uses a comms format similar to MS or if, like MS, it uses a different format for every software version. If it's not too different then I can't see why I couldn't support it if I can get hold of one to play with.

I've not looked at MegaJolt, no idea if it uses a comms format similar to MS or if, like MS, it uses a different format for every software version. If it's not too different then I can't see why I couldn't support it if I can get hold of one to play with.

HI Dave.

There was some chatter about this on the MJ forum but it appears to have died... Brent (who runs things over there) seems like a genuinely nice guy and I suspect that he would supply you with any information you might need to extend your software to cover MJ. You never know - you might even blag a unit too :) I could let you play with mine between events, but it's an old V3 so not sure how relevant it would be.

Roger

Having had a brief exchange on the MJ forum with Brent, MJ support looks like a possibility. Given how much simpler the MJ is it'll probably only take me an evening's work to get MJ support into v1 of the app. I'll borrow an MJ unit off someone, I know at least two people who have unbuilt kits that they've had for a few years.

I've knocked together a web site for the app where I can collect info, documentation and post development progress as and when I get/make the time, it's available at:

http://mobisquirt.org

• 6 months later...

It's still going but I've been very short on "spare" time recently. Support for all the current versions of MS1, MS1-Extra, MS2, MS2-extra is ready for testing but I've still got some work to do in supporting older firmware versions.

• 1 month later...

Another update on this, The first test version is going out imminently (the next 2 or 3 days I expect). This first test version has been targeted at MS1-Extra users primarily as that is the firmware its been tested most extensively with. If you're interested in testing/evaluating the first version of the app please make sure you sign up in the next couple of days as once it's been compiled it will only run on devices that I have the UDIDs for.

it will run on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch, the best way to have your device added to the list is to download the free "Ad Hoc Helper" app from the app store, launch the app and address the email it creates to testers@mobisquirt.org.

There is also a forum newly set up on the http://mobisquirt.org web site exclusively for discussion/feedback/suggestions for the app.

• 3 months later...

This project has reached somewhat of a milestone now. The first version of the app has passed the review process and is available to download now from the app store. This version has been tested pretty thoroughly with MS1-Extra firmware versions and has had some limited testing against MS1 firmware versions. The next test and then release versions will target MS2-Extra firmware versions.

More details and the user manual are available at the project web site - http://mobisquirt.org/

The user manual is a revision behind at the moment but I'll bring it up to date over the next few days.

Cool!

A question for you (I'm a phone luddite): Could I buy a cheap old iPhone or something from eBay and just use it for running Mobisquirt or would I need a connection to get the app onto it / make it work? I know Apple like to lock stuff down a bit.