Advise on replacing early type Td5 ECU

mturri

Need to replace an MSB101330 ECU (2001 manual Disco Td5) but so far have only managed to source an MSB101184 ECU (coming from exactly the same vehicle type) which is the immediately previous model.

The MSB101184 ECU was only fitted between VINs YA251680 through YA288370 then superceded by MSB101330 which ran through VIN 2A736339 (then the later flashable NNN type ECUs were released).

Although both are the early MSB type, they feature different config tune and fuel tune IDs:

MSB101330 has sttdp008 and sthdr006 tunes respectively, while MSB101184 has sttdp007 & sthdr005, which by the numbers do look "earlier". Being the early type ECU, tunes are 'stamped' and cannot be updated (pls correct me if I'm wrong) unless the ECU is 'given' a PLCC44 socket, new chip, etc. which is out of the question as the owner has no interest in optimising engine power delivery (unfortunately!)

So I'm wondering:

Will using an ECU with earlier tunes have an impact on engine running performance?

Is it possible that MSB101184 may not have in its 'internal injector code catalog' codes from injectors released after the said ECU was superceded? (injectors released when MSB101330 came out for instance...)

These may well be dumb questions for the ECU erudites... just trying to cover all areas so I don't end up spending owners dosh on the wrong ECU.

Thanks ahead of time.

As long as it is from a Disco manual it should work fine all you will need to do is shove in the new injector grades and learn the security code and off you go. I don't think there will be any issues at all on a 99-01 vehicle. You can even use a Defender one and it will run, but things like the gauges read wrong.