`95 300 tdi: Inter-cooler size?

Debs.

Hiya everyone,

'Lazarus' (my Series III) has passed on.........:(

But now the sense of grief is abating and I`m settling in to Disco 1 ownership and working through some (clearly) long-overdue servicing and some mods.; such as it`s egr being blanked and whilst doing that, I discovered a gunky/oily mess in the induction hoses, so I consulted RAVE to find out how to free the inter-cooler for giving it all a good clean out.

The RAVE manual shows the inter-cooler as fitting neatly alongside the engine radiator`s nearside (supported in the same way as the rad. with spigots in rubber donuts); but my Disco`s inter-cooler is massive, easily bigger than the engine`s radiator (the full width of the grille in fact) and mounted in front of the rad.

My Disco is a 1995 300 tdi auto. w/o aircon.......I was wondering if the smaller inter-cooler shown in RAVE is like that to permit room for the aircon version`s electric fans?...or perhaps, is there just a model year variance in inter-cooler size/fitment?

Looking at the size of the inter-cooler I have here, I`m guessing I`ll have to drain and remove the engine`s radiator first to get enough room to free-up the inter-cooler to get it out for flushing?

I`ve only had it a couple of weeks and already know why they`re called the 'Discovery'.....I have indeed been shocked by what I`ve discovered!:rolleyes:

Debs.

:blush: Ahhhh!....now I understand; thank you, chaps.:)

:DDespondent, Disillusioned and Disconsolate.........I`m familiar with all of those 'D' sensations of Land Rover ownership; although I managed to nurse this one through it`s MOT last week; so I briefly felt 'Delight':lol: