200, 300 ??

hi all. i have a 1989 90 with a the original td engine in. I want to fit a tdi but im not sure which. Ive been looking through loads of posts and cant really find what im looking for. I was planning on a 300 tdi as they seem to be more readily available but do i need to modify the chassis to fit the 300?

So can anyone point me in the direction of the threads i know ive seen somewhere.

Cheers

Make new engine mounts to bolt to the engine and there is no need to modify the chassis at all if you are using the LT77 gearbox.

In actual fact IIRC you only need to make an offside engine mount to bolt to the engine although it's a little tricky as you have to work around the oil filter but perfectly doable.

HTH

Mo

Make new engine mounts to bolt to the engine and there is no need to modify the chassis at all if you are using the LT77 gearbox.

In actual fact IIRC you only need to make an offside engine mount to bolt to the engine although it's a little tricky as you have to work around the oil filter but perfectly doable.

HTH

Mo

Click on my lro link above for pics Mo...

I'm suprised the likes of Steve Parker hasn't picket up on this wee problem as yet, installing 300tdi into older trucks will only become more popular, and a set of 300tdi - older spec truck engine mounts would be really good.

ok - he already does..... well at least for a disco 300tdi into a defender.

http://www.steve-parker.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=SPCK300

Edited by Maverik

Just like that Reb :) That's the first time I've seen someone do a write up and provide pictures on this subject.

I had to remake the same type of mount on my last 90 as the previous fabricator had not used strong enough material, it was an interesting project :)

Mo

If you bear with me, I'll post all my CAD drawings, pictures and info up shortly folks - then you can all build a mount like mine at your leisure! :D

"we" wait with bated breath, well I do! I think its a brilliant bit of kit! Cheets Nils

If you bear with me, I'll post all my CAD drawings, pictures and info up shortly folks - then you can all build a mount like mine at your leisure! :D

Foggy, hadnt realised you were on here as well. CAD drawings and dimensions would be great. Like i said on LRO, i think this could make this conversion sooooo much easier - sure you shouldnt patent the design or something??

Foggy, hadnt realised you were on here as well. CAD drawings and dimensions would be great. Like i said on LRO, i think this could make this conversion sooooo much easier - sure you shouldnt patent the design or something??

Sure am! LRO is an ok forum for ideas, opinion and chatting but there is a better wealth of tech knowledge on this forum.

I'm not too fussed about patenting, i'd rather just share the info so the task becomes easier for others.

Right folks, fitting a 300tdi engine in a 2.5p, 2.5d, 2.5td or 200tdi standard engine location.

The method I used was to fit a NRC9557 mount to the left hand side of the 300tdi engine, like so:

Image644.jpg

Then to build my own mount for the right hand side of the engine to get around the need to weld a new chassis mount to the right hand side.

Two problems though.

1) The 300tdi oil filter head now uses one of what was the right hand engine mounts on previous block castings.

2) The oil filter cartridge half obscures the area the mount would need to outreach from the engine to the chassis.

The solution; to create a mount that uses other bolt hole castings on the right hand side of the engine block, and that straddles the oil filter.

This is how I achieved it:

Image766.jpg

Image767.jpg

Image769.jpg

Image770.jpg

Image765.jpg

Image762.jpg

Image764.jpg

Then i had some time on my hands so made more additions! Couple more webbs and some corner radiusing!

Image804.jpg

Image805.jpg

Image806.jpg

Image807-1.jpg

Image808-1.jpg

Image809.jpg

Now it just needs paint!

I have a dimensioned CAD drawing of all the various pieces I used, I will post this soon, I just need to get the line weight at a level it will be clear enough when I post the image.

Hi

Looks like a good way to fit a 300 engine. Did you have to change much else?

I have a 200 in my 90 and if/when it dies I'd like to put a 300 in but I'm planning

a galvanised chassis hopefully before that happens and I'd rather not chop the chassis

about to make a 300 engine fit so this looks like the way to go.

I will add a link to this topic to the Tech Archive for future reference/use of members/visitors.

A nice job foggy :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks Western, hopefully it will be of some use to others!

Hi

Looks like a good way to fit a 300 engine. Did you have to change much else?

I have a 200 in my 90 and if/when it dies I'd like to put a 300 in but I'm planning

a galvanised chassis hopefully before that happens and I'd rather not chop the chassis

about to make a 300 engine fit so this looks like the way to go.

I was in the same situation as you, which is why I set about developing a way round the issue.

I don’t see the point of going to all that expense of changing to a galvanised chassis only to spoil the protection of the zinc by cutting a mount off it and welding another on elsewhere.

There are the other issues detailed in other guides about bell housing compatibility etc, but these are relatively minor issues and can be easily addressed.

• 2 weeks later...