Rear Bumper

onions

Hello there folks - I've been on holiday since the "great migration" from the old forum. Good to see things are coming on around here.

Down to business - I've had my '98 300tdi for just over a year. When I first got it I noticed that the off-side (UK) end of the rear bumper was marginally lower that the near-side end. Over the past 12 months I'm pretty sure it's gotten worse, but I have been known to be extrenely paranoid about small issues on my Disco. While I was at Billing I happened to notice quite a few other 300 series Discos with what appeared tobe similar problem to a greater or lesser extent. So I'm wondering: Is this a common problem? Anyone else here had it or seen it? What does it take to get it fixed? Could any garage do the job? Am I just being paranoid again and worrying about another "feature"?

Any help appreciated - especially hypnotism courses to rid me of the worry that I have every time I discover a new squeak or rattle.

Thanks in advance.

I saw those bumpers at Billing and I thought they looked pretty damn good. Problem is that their guy said it wasn't compatible with my current tow-bar and I don't want to buy a new one of those too!!!. At the end of the day I'm a cheapskate (not an attitude that goes well with owning a land rover) so I was looking for a fix that meant I have change left for a 2" lift and some rock sliders.

If the 300TDi rear bumper fits the same way as a 200TDi one does, it's a bloody wonder the things are ever level!

Basically, the 200TDi one is held on by 2 bolts, which are a fairly loose fit in their bumper bracket orifices.

Every time I've had mine off, I fiddle around a bit to get it acceptably level before final tightening.

Anyway, Discos are a bit like women as the get older - they tend to sag a bit on one side as the springs aren't level, so probably LR aims at the manufacturing stage to try and compensate for that by having its own unique levelling facility......

- Richard

• 2 weeks later...

You're right. I'll pretend it's not happening. The next few days should go like this:

Me: Hello dear. I've sorted that rear bumper and it cost nothing to do.

The Wife: It looks just as bad as ever.

Me: Nope. Definitely fixed.

The Wife: Great, we can spend the money you saved on a new washing machine.

Me: Er......

The Wife: Are you trying to hide a set of very thick skis behind your back?

Me: Let me explain ....